|
WITHINGTON
The district of Withington was mentioned in the Domesday survey
of 1086 as little more than a "wasteland" (ie. unoccupied
or unused for pasture or agriculture). It was later recorded in
the 12th century, and its name probably means "a settlement
or farmstead near a willow wood", (a withy was an
old name for a willow branch or twig). In recent times it has been
merged with its neighbouring district of Ladybarn, and the two are
now effectively indivisible from each other. Withington & Ladybarn
were incorporated into the City of Manchester in 1904. The district
is bounded by Derby Road, Lapwing Lane, Kingsway and Palatine Road
and Wilmslow Road runs north-south through its centre. Fallowfield
lies to its north and Didsbury abuts
its southern boundary.
By the early
13th century the district had grown to include Withington, Didsbury,
Burnage, Moss
Side and Denton
and was granted to the son of one Ingrith of Wythington and the
Abbey of Our Lady; the tithe barn (tithes or one-tenths were
a commonly levied 10% tax to support religious institutions) built
for the upkeep of the Abbey became known as Our Lady's barn - hence
Ladybarn. Much of modern Mauldeth Road was formerly Ladybarn Lane,
where the barn once stood.
Over the century,
ownership passed from the Wythingtons to the Longfords and then
to the Mosleys, the latter
being successful wool merchants and whose ancestors became Lord
of the Manor of Manchester. Later, the Egertons bought the land,
by which time areas like Fallowfield and Heaton Norris had already
been separated from the estate; the Mosleys held the land until
its incorporation into Manchester.
Withington actually
held its own courts until the mid 19th century. Its distance from
central Manchester meant that it escaped the Industrial
Revolution largely intact and it is still predominantly a residential
area of large Victorian houses, apart from the shopping centre on
either side of Wilmslow Road. By the beginning of the 20th century
it was still a rural and agricultural area with a profusion of farms
and small holdings. The 20th century, however, was to see a rapid
population explosion and the building of many surrounding housing
estates eventually obliterated the farms that were Withington's
most distinctive features.
The 19th century
saw the arrival of a transport system in the nature of horse drawn
trams which terminated at Lapwing Lane, later to be replaced by
an electric tram service in 1902. The railway had arrived earlier
and there was a station in Lapwing Lane.
Modern Withington
is best known for its two important hospitals, Withington Hospital
and the Christie Hospital, the later known world-wide for its pioneering
work in the treatment of cancer.
Actor Robert
Donat was born in Withington in 1905.
Return
to: Suburban
Districts of Manchester
See also:
NOTE:
We have made reference to several sources in compiling this web
page, but must make special mention of the Breedon Books' "Illustrated
History of Manchester's Suburbs" by Glynis Cooper, of which
we made particular use. Information about this book can be found
on our Books About Manchester webpage.
|