Manchester Coat of Arms

Manchester & the Northwest Region of England
Manchester Busy BeeManchester and Townships of LancashirePapillon Graphics
Papillon Graphics' Virtual Encyclopaedia of Greater Manchester
Including Bolton, Bury, Manchester, Oldham, Rochdale, Salford, Stockport, Tameside, Trafford & Wigan

NAVIGATION
A to Z Index of Manchester
About Papillon Graphics
Manchester  Accommodation
Advertise on the Manchester UK website
Awards we've Won
Manchester - Arts & Culture
Book a Manchester or UK Hotel Online
Manchester - Business & Finance
The County of Cheshire
Code of Ethics
Contact Papillon Graphics
Day Trips Out from Manchester
Suburban Districts and Townships of the City of Manchester
Education & Training - Schools, Colleges & Universities in Greater Manchester and the North West of England
Manchester Entertainments
Manchester Facts & Figures
Restaurants, Bars and Cafes in Manchester - Dining Out and Drinking
History and Heritage of Manchester
Holiday Hotel Deals
Industry and Manufacturing in Manchester & Lancashire

Manchester - Useful Information & Emergencies
Introducing Manchester
Manchester International Festival 2007
The County Palatine of Lancashire
Local Celebrities of Greater manchester and the Northwest region
Manchester Links
Manchester Airport
Manchester Airport Parking

Manchester Weather Forecast
Manchester Maps and Location Plans
Meeting Places & People around Manchester - Clubs and Societies
Our Privacy Policy
Search this Website

Shopping in Manchester - Shops & Department Stores
Site Map - Alphabetical Website Contents by Subject
Sports and Leisure in Greater Manchester
The Ten Boroughs of Greater Manchester
Translate this Page
Manchester Transport
Virtual Tours of Manchester
Manchester Worship & Religion

Virtual Hosting by
The ServerBank.Com
TheServerBank

The County of Lancashire - 8

The Townships of Lancashire
Including Lancashire cities, boroughs, towns and major villages

Note that some of the towns listed below are now in the Greater Manchester Metropolitan County and others in Merseyside and therefore (technically) no longer in Lancashire.

Alphabetical order - continued:

Rawtenstall

Rawtenstall is the largest town in Rossendale with a population of about 23,000, and as far back as 1323 was a part of the Royal Forest of Rossendale.
Following its rapid industrial expansion throughout the 18th and 19th centuries with the growth of the textile and footwear industries, in 1891 the town was granted Borough status, along with Haslingden.
Nowadays Rawtenstall is somewhat of a dormitory area for neighbouring Bury (now in Greater Manchester), lying as it does at the end of the M66 Motorway, as well as being connected to Bury by the regular steam and diesel train service run by the East Lancashire Light Railway (ELR). The town's original British Railways station had previously closed in 1972 and the line remained derelict for many years until it was reopened in 1991 by the ELR.
Rawtenstall also has one of the best dry Ski Slopes in England at Ski Rossendale, as well being home to the last Temperance Bar in England.


Rochdale

See Main Entry.

Salford

See Main Entry.

Skelmersdale

Skelmersdale is an old coal mining village, a township to the east of Ormskirk, which lies beneath of Ashurst Beacon, where the District Council have created Beacon Country Park. It became a so-called 'New Town' in the 1960s.
Its name possibly derives from Old Scandinavian meaning "the valley of a man named Skjalmar or Skjaldmarr" , although some have it that the meaning lies in three words - "skel" meaning "hills", "mers" from "mere" (water as in Martin Mere) and "dale" meaning "valley".
In 55 BC the town was a restover stop for Roman soldiers travelling from Wigan to Crosby on the River Mersey. Recently, a quantity of Roman coins were unearthed by children in 1949 at nearby Ottershead Farm.
Skelmersdale is mentioned in the Domesday Survey of 1086 as being under the rule of Uctred, and part of the West Derby Hundred.
During the 19th century Industrial Revolution the area was significantly developed as Coal Mines sprang up around the area and Skelmersdale had its own railway line to Ormskirk, Rainford and St Helens.
The modern township boasts a recent Shopping Concourse development. There is also the Tawd Valley park which leads to the Ribble Estuary and joins the River Douglas - it offers around two miles of beautiful landscape that is rich in native wildlife. Beacon Country Park also lies within the district, with its beautiful scenery, an 18 hole golf course and golf driving range, a Visitor Centre and first class swimming pool.

Southport

See Main Entry.

St Helens

The town of St Helens derives its name from the early chapel dedicated to that saint which was situated at the crossroads to Warrington, Widnes, Prescot and Wigan. The first known reference to the chapel was found in a document of 1552, though the original structure probably dated back to the 14th century
The modern church of St Helen was only completed in 1926, on or near the site of the early chapel.
St Helens was only a small village until the Industrial Revolution in the 19th century. Coal had been mined in the region since the 16th century, and had been traditionally transported by packhorse into neighbouring Cheshire and to Liverpool. With the construction of the Sankey Canal Navigation in 1762, the town became an ideally placed to transport coal nationwide. Many new industries emerged, not least of which, Pilkington Brothers, became famous nationwide for the manufacture of glass, a trade which is still closely associated with the town today. By 1868 the town became large enough to be granted the status of Municipal Borough, and in 1884 it sent its first Member to Parliament.
During the 20th century all of the towns coal mines disappeared, with the loss of most of its traditional skills.
In 1974, with Local Government reorganisation, boundaries were changed and St Helens became a Metropolitan Borough including parts of Newton-le-Willows, Haydock, Rainhill (site of the famous Railway Trials) and Billinge. Today all these communities comprise the modern borough of St. Helens which has a population of about 178,500 people.

Warton

There are two places in Lancashire called Warton:

1). Warton is a small village near Carnforth which is dominated by Warton Crag. Located near Morecambe bay, the Kendal Canal, and Carnforth Railway Station, 6½ miles NE of Lancaster. The village incorporates Bolton-le-Sands, and is distinguished by having had George Washington's ancestors living in North Warton and they are said to have assisted in building the tower of the Parish Church. Thus, every Independence Day on 4th July, the American flag is raised on the church tower in commemoration. The Washington family coat of arms can inside the wall of the tower and is believed to have influenced the design of the Stars and Stripes. In 1835 the parish of Warton contained the townships of Warton, Silverdale, Yealand Conyers, Yealand Redmayne, Priest Hutton, Borwick, and Carnforth.

2). The other village of Warton is located near Preston not far from the River Ribble Estuary on the main A584 Freckleton to Lytham Road which passes through its centre. Warton was originally recorded as 'Wartun' in the Domesday Book of 1086 from the Old English words 'weard' and 'tun' meaning 'a farmstead or township. Contemporary Warton is somewhat dominated by what was known as Warton Aerodrome, which had been established by the US Air Force in September 1942 as AAF Station 582 - it was de-activitated in September 1945. During those 3 years some 14,000 aircraft passed through the airfield, including almost 3000 B24 Liberators and over 4000 P51 Mustangs. Part of the Warton runway extends into the neighbouring borough of Freckleton. The former British Aerospace (BAE Systems), based on this site is a significant employer of many local residents and the village has become much sought after as a place to live and is a major dormitory for the nearby conurbation of Preston.

Widnes

in Early times, Widnes was described as 'half marsh and half moor', lying as it does on the northern banks of the River Mersey. The scene changed very little for many centuries. Earliest records show that in around 1180 AD, a church was built at Farnworth, dominating the village high street. For many years the ferry across the Mersey at a place that became known as the Runcorn Gap, was an important crossing place for travellers, where, at low tide, it is sometimes possible to ford, or wade across the river at this point. Soon, a riverside inn, known as the Boathouse was established, although nowadays it is better known as the 'Snig Pie House', due to the local eel pies, which are considered a local delicacy.
By the 18th Century, a few dwellings grew up on the rocky promontory, known as Woodend, and the area began attracting day trippers from Liverpool in search of a quiet day out in the picturesque countryside.
Small cottage industries emerged, especially at Appleton, where fine wires were manufactured for the local watchmakers. In 1845 Widnes Dock was completed, (now known as Spike Island). Arriving here by rail, salt from neighbouring Cheshire salt would be offloaded for the glass-makers of St Helens in exchange for Lancashire Coal for Northwich.

Winsford

Winsford is located in the heart of rural Cheshire, 17 miles from Chester, 28 miles from Manchester, and 30 miles from Liverpool. The M6 motorway is six miles to the east. Winsford station is on the West Coast Main Line, 162 miles from London.
The township was created a civil parish in 1936, formed from parts of Clive, Darnhall, Marton, Over, Stanthorne and Wharton civil parishes. Winsford Urban District, along with Northwich and Runcorn is now part of the Borough of Vale Royal.
Its origins are uncertain but two possible explanations exist: first, it could be a derivative of "Wainsford", a local ford used by farmers in transporting hay carts (or wains) across the River Weaver; second, and more likely, perhaps someone called Wynn lived by the ford on the river, and it became known as "Wynn's Ford", and later Winsford. The River Weaver had long been an important ford crossing of a Roman road linking Over with Middlewich.
The discovery of brine in 1700 and the proximity of the River Weaver, which was made navigable, brought new industrial prosperity to the town as it became a major salt mining town. The Weaver was canalised in 1798 from Frodsham to Winsford Town Bridge to allow for salt transhipment to Northwich and thence on to Liverpool for worldwide export. The Mine at Winsford has existed since 1844 although mining stopped periodically due to over-production.
Contemporary Winsford has a population or approximately 33,000 and is located in the heart of Cheshire in the borough of Vale Royal, which forms part of the Mersey Forest. Salt production had seriously declined by the early 20th century and the district saw a steady contraction of its industry. The town's more recent redevelopment leaves little evidence of its former industrial past, and in many ways has rebuilt itself as a virtual new town, though the Salt Union manages the only working salt mine still in operation in Great Britain today.


Wigan

See Main Entry.

End of Topic].


See Also:


Back to Top
< Previous

Lancashire Dialects follow next page >

 

Google
 

Papillon Graphics animated GIF
Copyright © John Moss, Papillon (Manchester UK) Limited 2000-2008 AD Salford, Greater Manchester, United Kingdom - all rights reserved. This page last updated 9 Sept 08.