|
COLLYHURST
The name Collyhurst originally meant "wooded hill". The
hill is actually largely made up of red sandstone, hence the area
is known as Red Bank. Stone quarried at Red bank was used to construct
the Roman fort at Castlefield,
as well as several bridges over the River Irwell and the Collegiate
Church at Manchester, later to become Manchester
Cathedral. Collyhurst existed as a grazing or pasture land at
the time of the Norman Invasion of 1066, and remained largely rural
up to the early 19th century. A burial ground for plague victims
was also located at Collyhurst Clough. The district was incorporated
into Manchester in 1885.
In medieval
times Collyhurst Common was a popular place for archery practice
(every young man was obliged by law to maintain bow and arrow skills
for use in time of war).
The every present
Mosley family had a house in the district in the 17th century and
Sir Nicholas Mosley, Lord
of the Manor of Manchester, for a time lived at Collyhurst Hall.
By the mid 19th century the Hall had been demolished and a church
stood on the site.
By the mid-19th
century, Collyhurst had begun to expand rapidly as coal was discovered
nearby and houses were constructed to house the coal workers at
the newly created St George's Colliery. A chemical works had also
come into being on Collyhurst Clough. Both air and water were resultantly
poisoned by dust and chemical effluent, it was a most unhealthy
place to live and work and life expectancy was very low for working
people. Ironically, the worst squalor was to be found at Angel Meadow,
which had been a pleasant leafy suburb in earlier times.
Corn Mills,
Brick Making Works, a Paper Mill, Rope Works and several Dye Factories
also existed alongside the River Tib so that by the late 19th century
Collyhurst was very heavily industrialised. Later, the railways
came and several new blue brick viaducts cut swathes across the
Irk Valley - most still stand today, largely derelict except for
one main line to Yorkshire and the revolutionary hyperactive Metrolink
Rapid Transit System carried across the valley by another.
On a more domestic
level, the resident population has gradually and consistently declined
during the post-Second World War years, and a train ride over one
of its viaducts reveals many derelict and abandoned Victorian terraces
beneath. New housing initiatives have been made and there are pleasant
modern houses at the top of the hill, but Collyhurst is still scarred
by its industrial past. Red Bank is largely set aside for the railways
and for light industry.
Return
to: Suburban
Districts of Manchester
See also:
NOTE:
We have made reference to several sources in compiling this web
page, but must make special mention of the Breedon Books' "Illustrated
History of Manchester's Suburbs" by Glynis Cooper, of which
we made particular use. Information about this book can be found
on our Books About Manchester webpage.
|