|
|
Metropolitan
Borough of Rochdale in Greater Manchester & the Northwest Region of
England


Papillon
Graphics' Virtual Encyclopaedia of Greater Manchester
Including
Bolton, Bury, Manchester, Oldham, Rochdale, Salford, Stockport, Tameside,
Trafford & Wigan
|
|
NAVIGATION









































Virtual
Hosting by
TheServerBank
Photos
by John Moss
|
 |
 |
The
Town & Borough of Rochdale
In the Greater Manchester Metropolitan County
|
|

Rochdale Coat of Arms
|
The
Coat of Arms of Rochdale
The
design consists of a shield and crest with helm and supporters
badge. The whole Arms represents the new Rochdale metropolitan
authority, with symbols of its six old boroughs - Rochdale, Heywood,
Middleton, Littleborough, Milnrow and Wardle - and the local industries
and emblems which were part of their own Arms and traditions.
The shield itself is green with a white wave running down the
middle of which is a roach, signifying the River Roch, surrounded
by a gold border with six red roses, suggesting the boundary of
an area drawn from the six Lancastrian authorities.
Above the shield is a helm (or helmet) decorated with emblems
of local industries - woolpack, fleece, millrind and cotton plants
- these stand for the textile industries (wool and later cotton)
and engineering. The fleece is also the emblem of Milnrow, and
the cotton wreath is taken from the Arms of Middleton.
To the left is a supporting figure of the golden eagle of Rome,
a reference to Roman relics found in the Littleborough area and
the road over Blackstone Edge (also represented in the pavement
at the base, set in Pennine Moorland).
The pavement stands in place of a motto or text. The eagle wears
a ribbon at its neck from which hangs a Ram's Head, the emblem
of Wardle. On the right stands a supporting Falcon, the old emblem
of the Heywood family. From its neck ribbon hangs a black pierced
mullet, or spur rowel taken from the crest of the Assheton family
which was incorporated in the old Arms of Middleton.
The crest wreaths are intended to be of silk, another reference
to an old industry once found in Middleton.
|
|
|
|

|
Rochdale
Pioneers Museum
Toad
Lane, Rochdale.
Telephone: 01706-524920.
Website: http://museum.co-op.ac.uk
Regarded
as the starting place of the world-wide Co-operative Movement,
this little shop in Toad Lane first opened for trading in December
1844, selling just a few basic commodities : butter, sugar, flour,
oatmeal and candles.
The building has been acquired by the Co-operative Union and is
now a permanent museum in honour of those original Rochdale Pioneers
who conceived the idea of a co-operative, and is set in the middle
of a conservation area. Visitors can still see the shop as it
was on that first day of trading, with its simple furnishings
and equipment. In an adjoining room is a permanent exhibition
telling the story of the Rochdale Pioneers from their foundation
to their centenary in 1944.
An upper room was used by the Pioneers for education, and is now
used for meetings and exhibitions.
LOCATION
Sited in Rochdale town centre, just behind the modern Rochdale
Shopping Centre and close to the present Norwest Co-operative
Society Store.
OPENING
Tuesday-Saturday from 10.00am-4.00pm, Sunday from 2.00pm-4.00pm.
Closed Mondays except Bank Holidays with half price concessions.
Times may have changed - please check before setting out.
|
|
|
 |
Ellenroad
Engine House
Elizabethan
Way, Milnrow, Rochdale.
Telephone: 01706-881952.
Claimed
to be home
to the world's largest working mill steam engine, housed in the
old Ellenroad Cotton Mill which was built in 1892 on the banks
of the River Beal. It drove the machinery which produced cotton
yarn using mule spinning, using a triple expansion steam engine
powered from 5 boilers.
The cotton mill was destroyed by fire in 1916, but the engine
and boiler house survived more-or-less intact. Rebuilt in 1919
it reopened as the Ellenroad Ring Spinning Mill, powered by 3000
horsepower twin engines - Victoria and Alexandra. The flywheel
weighs 85 tons and is 28 feet in diameter. Forty-four ropes take
its power to the four floors of the mill.
This machinery continued in active operation until 1975 when the
mill was electrified, and this last of the great Lancashire mill
steam engines fell silent. In 1985 the Ellenroad Trust was formed
as a Registered Charity, and took over the engine house. Restoration
began immediately, and thanks to their conservation work, all
the engines now run in full working order, and can be seen by
the public in full steam on the first Sunday of every month, as
well as on special occasions. Several engines on display, including
the Whitelees Beam Engine.
Of particular interest to industrial archaeologists, historians
and engineers, the Ellenroad engine with its blued steel and polished
brass, provides enjoyment and fascination to non-specialists too.
LOCATION
Situated beside Junction 21 of the M62 Motorway, signposted "Shaw".
There is a rail station at Milnrow, just a few minutes walk away.
OPENING
Open 12.00noon -4.00pm. Free parking. Admission charge payable
- currently about £2.50 with half price concessions, but times
and prices may have changed - please check before setting out.
See
Also:
|
|