|
MOSTON
Moston was incorporated, with neighbouring Blackley,
into the City of Manchester in 1890 and currently has a resident
population of around 12,500. The name Moston seems to refer to two
simple old English words "moss" and "ton",
where moss usually referred to a place that was mossy, marshy
or peatbog, and ton signified a settlement or farmstead.
The place was already named by the early 12th century having grown
into a recognisable community near to the district known as White
Moss.
Lying as it
does on the northern limit of Manchester, it would have been open
moorland and well away from the city. This distance enabled Moston
to avoid much of the Industrial Revolution, and it continued as
pleasant open countryside until well into the 1850s, with no more
than a few manor houses and farmsteads within its district. At that
time it was a place of choice for wealthier residents and a much
sought after area to live in away from the filth and squalor of
central Manchester. Even as late as the early 20th century Moston
was essentially a rural settlement.
By the 14th
century the Moston family had built and occupied Moston Hall, and
the Bowkers, (hence nearby Bowker Vale), the Chaddertons, the Chethams
and the Egertons had houses within the district. These great landowning
families are still remembered in local placenames today.
By the 16th
century, washing and bleaching of linen had become a major local
cottage industry - carried out in local streams - and there is a
record of a wadding mill in the district by 1714. By the early 19th
century, dyeing had been added to to its textile skills and the
Moston Print & Dye Works was set up in 1820, with Dean Brook
Dye Works following soon after.
Moston Mill was built in 1910, and nearly two centuries behind the
rest of Manchester, Moston caught up with the Industrial Revolution.
Open seam coal
mining had also been carried out in the district since the 16th
century and in 1840 Moston Pit sunk its first pit shaft. Despite
several new shafts, the pit suffered regular flooding and had a
fairly short and unfortunate history. It finally closed its gates
and sealed the shafts in 1950.
The arrival
of industry in the area was accompanied by a population explosion,
from around 50 residents in the 1831 census to over 1000 within
the next half century. This saw much of its hitherto rural nature
disappear under housing developments and the associated services
and utilities that accompany urbanisation - schools, churches, pubs
and shops. This rapid expansion of population inevitably brought
with it severe sanitation problems, which as much as any other factor
hastened its incorporation into Manchester, where a (then) advanced
sewage system had already been constructed.
Local Moston
celebrities have included television historian Michael
Wood, social reformer and political reformer Samuel
Bamford and Ben Brierley
the local dialect poet and playwright.
Return
to: Suburban
Districts of Manchester
See also:
NOTE:
We have made reference to several sources in compiling this web
page, but must make special mention of the Breedon Books' "Illustrated
History of Manchester's Suburbs" by Glynis Cooper, of which
we made particular use. Information about this book can be found
on our Books About Manchester webpage.
|