|
HARPURHEY
The district of Harpurhey was named in the early 14th century after
William Harpour who enclosed some 80 acres of land that were formerly
part of the Forest of Blackley. Haeg is an old word for an
enclosed area - hence Harpour's haeg. At that time it was
pristine land, pleasant, fertile and watered by the River Irk which
ran through it and plentiful with fish. Later in 14th century the
land was acquired by the Hulton family, and it remained a largely
farming community right up to the beginning of the 19th century.
By this time
it had adopted its current name of Harpurhey and had developed as
a small rural community alongside the Manchester-Middleton Turnpike
road. Tolls were collected to pay for the upkeep of the road until
1879.
In 1812 the
land was bought by the Andrew family, whose trade was in fabric
dyeing. Harpurhey, along with Crumpsall
and Blackley were to become areas that
specialised in dyeing and bleaching, and the Andrews Dyeworks came
to dominate the geographic and economic affairs of the district.
During the 19th
century, the rural village grew into a major "out-of-town"
industrial dyeing centre, and gradually acquired schools, chapels,
Sunday schools, and eventually a major cemetery, Harpurhey Cemetery,
later to become the Manchester General Cemetery. This major development
was opened in 1868 and included landscaped lawns, catacombs, chapels
of rest for different denominations and a mortuary.
Apart from dyeing,
other industries gradually sprang up in the district, including
engineering, rope making, a wire works and Wilsons Brewery.
Queens Park
is also a major feature of the district. Now an Art Gallery and
public park, it is an attractive and popular break in the urban
sprawl of northern Manchester. For many years Harpurhey has also
been well known for its Dogs Home, where the stray dogs of Manchester
either end their days or are found new homes.
During the latter
years of the 20th century, Harpurhey acquired an unfavourable reputation.
Dominated by traffic and much neglected it fell prey to graffiti
artists and vandals. However, significant improvements, rebuilding
and redevelopment have, and are still taking place to raise its
profile and to improve its fabric, which thus far seem to be achieving
considerable success.
Return
to: Suburban
Districts of Manchester
See also:
NOTE:
We have made reference to several sources in compiling this web
page, but must make special mention of the Breedon Books' "Illustrated
History of Manchester's Suburbs" by Glynis Cooper, of which
we made particular use. Information about this book can be found
on our Books About Manchester webpage.
|