City of Manchester Coat of Arms

Manchester & the Northwest Region of England
Manchester's Busy Bee LogoManchester Civic, Public & Municipal BuildingsPapillon Graphics Header Logo
Papillon Graphics' Virtual Encyclopaedia of Greater Manchester
Including Bolton, Bury, Manchester, Oldham, Rochdale, Salford, Stockport, Tameside, Trafford & Wigan

NAVIGATION
A to Z Index of Manchester
About Papillon Graphics
Manchester  Accommodation
Advertise on the Manchester UK website
Awards we've Won
Manchester - Arts & Culture
Book a Manchester or UK Hotel Online
Manchester - Business & Finance
The County of Cheshire
Code of Ethics
Contact Papillon Graphics
Day Trips Out from Manchester
Suburban Districts and Townships of the City of Manchester
Education & Training - Schools, Colleges & Universities in Greater Manchester and the North West of England
Manchester Entertainments
Manchester Facts & Figures
Restaurants, Bars and Cafes in Manchester - Dining Out and Drinking
History and Heritage of Manchester
Holiday Hotel Deals
Industry and Manufacturing in Manchester & Lancashire

Manchester - Useful Information & Emergencies
Introducing Manchester
Manchester International Festival 2007
The County Palatine of Lancashire
Local Celebrities of Greater manchester and the Northwest region
Manchester Links
Manchester Airport

Manchester Weather Forecast
Manchester Maps and Location Plans
Meeting Places & People around Manchester - Clubs and Societies
Our Privacy Policy
Search this Website
Shopping in Manchester - Shops & Department Stores
Site Map - Alphabetical Website Contents by Subject
Sports and Leisure in Greater Manchester
The Ten Boroughs of Greater Manchester
Translate this Page
Manchester Transport
Virtual Tours of Manchester
Manchester Worship & Religion

Virtual Hosting by

TheServerBank

Photos by John Moss

Manchester Civic & Municipal Buildings


Municipal & Public Buildings of Manchester

Nineteenth century Manchester saw the emergence of a new ruling elite - the self-made businessman and the textile industrialist millionaire. These nouveaux riches - men with money and influence, eagerly sought not only economic, but political power. After the Municipal Charter of 1838, these "city fathers" (as they liked to be called) were given the opportunity to create a fully fledged advanced city with all the trappings of a civilised metropolis. They did it in a grand manner. In 1845 Manchester began to create public parks; in 1851 an Act of Parliament authorised the introduction of a half penny rate to create public libraries and museums; later came free hospitals for the treatment of the poor, the introduction of underground sewers and various Planning Acts to improve the living conditions of its people. There was an immense and ever growing sense of civic pride in the city - nowhere more in evidence than in Warehouse's exuberant Town Hall, whose floors are decorated with mosaic bees, symbol of the industry which had created the wealth to make the modern city possible. What follows are some of the best examples of Manchester's civic buildings.

The Municipal Buildings

Manchester Town Hall Extension

On completion of the Central Reference Library in St Peter's Square in 1934, work began immediately on constructing the Town Hall Extension. Designed by Vincent Harris, as a result of an open competition, (he had also designed the Library next door), it was to be eight storeys high and intended to house various growing municipal departments including gas, electricity, rates, rents, street cleaning, etc, and a cinema with demonstration rooms beneath ground level. Its 200 foot southern wall was curved to parallel the Library next door, separated by the Library Walk between. Many authorities reckon this to be Harris's best work. It also includes a large council chamber at first floor level. The total cost of the building was £750,000 and it was opened officially by King George VI in 1938. A commemoration in the form of a carved inset stone on the library side at the Mount Street end marks the occasion. The extension is connected by two covered bridges to the main Town Hall building. On the Mount Street side is a covered arcade, and on the opposite side, in St Peter's Square is the official City of Manchester Visitor Centre (Tourist Information).
Stylistically, the building is Gothic in character, with heavy masonry, deep pierced ornately carved tracery effects, and a typically steeply pitched roof
, yet interpreted in a modern style in Darley Dale stone. Internally it has stained glass windows by George Kruger Gray, which represent ancient Lancastrian Coats of Arms.

Back to Top

Victoria University of Manchester

The University began life under the name of Owens College, the original quadrangle block commissioned in 1869, and designed by Alfred Waterhouse, who had been responsible for many other buildings in Manchester. After various other name changes, it became the Victoria University in 1880. (Nowadays, the "Victoria" is dropped). From then until the outbreak of the Fist World War it saw considerable expansion, followed by many years of inter-war stagnation before the boom of the 1960s which saw a revival in its fortunes and a more-or-less constant expansion since then.
Waterhouse's original building on Oxford Road, still forms the heart of the main campus, despite many extensions and other buildings added all around it over subsequent years. Work was not actually completed until 1902, and was completed by his son, Paul (as the Refuge Assurance Building had been). It was built in the then fashionable modern Gothic style. The later phase of building included the addition of the Museum and the Beyer Laboratories from 1883-87. Later, Paul Waterhouse completed the Christie Library between 1895 and 1898, and the Whitworth Hall, completed in 1902. Paul Waterhouse went on later to add extensions to the Manchester Museum from 1911-27, the later part completed by Michael Waterhouse. Other additions include the Botanical Laboratory in 1911, and the John Morley Laboratories in 1909, both by Paul Waterhouse. Further later extensions included the Physics Laboratory designed by J W Beaumont in 1900-01, the New Physics Laboratory by Percy Scott Worthington in 1930-31, and the Dental School by Hubert Worthington in 1939-40.

The Manchester Reform Club

Designed by Edward Solomons and John Philpot-Jones in 1870-71, the Reform Club in King Street was the last to be built in the popular so-called Venetian Gothic style. It comprises three storeys topped by a balustraded parapet and with corner rounded gable end towers with lanterns and spires. The windows of the first floor have small balconies, with a larger balcony over the main ground floor entrance. Marble lined state-of-the-art lavatories were installed in the 1890s. Inside is a grand staircase with wood panelling climbing up to the second floor billiard room. It was here that the city's gentry escaped to sample privacy, quietude and the fellow company of other like-minded men.

Back to Top

The Mechanics' Institute, Manchester

In 1854 the architect John Edgar Gregan was commissioned to build the new Mechanics' Institute at 103 Princess Street - it was intended to be a centre of learning and education for the 'educable working classes'. It was to be Gregan's last work. The Institute had already been in existence since 1825 in a premises in Cooper Street, but the new building was to mark the growing success of the venture. Workmen, ranging from shopkeepers to labourers, could attend evening classes to study English, grammar, writing, reading, arithmetic and Latin, as well as several foreign languages and music.
The building is in the palazzo style, common in the warehouses in the vicinity of Portland Street, and stands out as superior to most of those that followed. It has three tall storeys with a basement and hidden attic storey behind a balustrade. It is built in red brick with stone string courses and semicircular pediments over the first floor windows. Later it became the Museum of Labour History, which subsequently moved to the Pumphouse - now the Peoples' History Museum, though it still contains many labour history archives which are available for inspection by special permission.

Memorial Hall, Albert Square, Manchester

On the corner of Albert Square and Southmill Street stands the Memorial Hall. It was designed and built by Thomas Worthington in 1863-66. Described as a brick and stone clad building of Venetian Gothic style with distinctive stone tracery on all windows and a decidedly palatial exterior. The building was originally a commemoration of the secession of Nonconformist clergy in 1662. The ground floor was always intended as a commercial space, available to any concern that was prepared to pay the rent - now a pub (The Square Albert). Worthington designed this two colour building after his second tour of Italy in 1858, and this is thought to be the main influence in his design.

The Masonic Hall, Bridge Street, Manchester

The Masonic Hall was designed by Percy Scott Worthington in 1929. This Grade II Listed building is in Portland Stone and won the Royal Institute of British Architects Gold Medal for Worthington in 1930. Externally it is rather plain and forbidding, with its rusticated ground floor and severe sheer walls rising two floors, and relieved only by the square cut windows. A low balustraded balcony is cantilevered out over the ground floor entrance.
However, its interior is a joyous affair in the Neo-Classical style with a huge coffered barrel vaulted ceiling supported on elegant Ionic columns.

Manchester Town Hall Extension
Town Hall Extension
from Albert Square

Manchester Town Hall and Town Hall Extension Bridge over Lloyd Street
Bridges over Lloyd Street
connect the Town Hall
to the Extension Building

Central Library and Manchester Town Hall Extension
Town Hall Extension from
St Peter's Square

Main Entrance to the University of Manchester Owens Buildin g
University of Manchester

Manchester's former Mechanics Institute Building
Former Mechanics
Institute Building

Memorial Hall, Albert Square, Manchester
Memorial Hall,
Albert Square


Above & Below: The Reform Club,
Spring Gardens/King Street
The Manchester Reform Club, King Street

Manchester Masonic L:odge, Bridge Street
Masonic Hall, Bridge Street

 

Google
 

< Previous
Back to Top
Last Page of Topic].
Papillon Graphics Animated GIF Logo
Copyright © John Moss, Papillon (Manchester UK) Limited 2000-2008 AD Salford, Greater Manchester, United Kingdom - all rights reserved
This page last updated 20 Oct 03.