Manchester's Ten  Metropolitan Boroughs

SEARCH:

NAVIGATION:

ADMINISTRATION:

Districts
of Stockport


Cheadle

The district of
Cheadle is located in the south-west of the Metropolitan Borough of
Stockport, about 3 miles from Stockport town centre and 1½ miles
from the City of Manchester boundary. It is one of the oldest placenames
within the borough and is known to have existed before the 7th century.

Cheadle is really 2 words combined – originally in Celtic ” Ced ”
(pronounced “ched”) meaning “wood” – the “Legh ”
part (also meaning “wood”) is an Old English term that was
added later in explanation – technically the town therefore means “wood
wood”. By the time of Domesday in 1086 it was known as ” Cedde ”
and by c1165 it had become known as ” Chedle “.
The 11th century Cheadle Cross identifies the old parish centre in late
Anglo-Saxon times. It is thought that Cheadle lies at the junction of
two Roman Roads; the road to the Roman fort of Melandra is believed
to have run to the west of Cheadle and that another ran south-east.

Originally Cheadle was a predominantly rural community, but it saw considerable
growth and expansion towards the end of the 19th Century. Increasing
urbanisation saw the development of new turnpike roads (or metalled
toll roads), railways, trams and omnibuses. Cheadle village centre is
a traditional English town, with a distinctive village “feel”
about it, despite the A560 trunk road running through its centre. It
is an attractive place to shop, with the reassuringly picturesque St
Mary’s Church and the village green to offer a place of rest for the
traveller and shopper alike.
Cheadle Community Website is at: https://www.cheadle-cheshire.net.

Cheadle
Hulme

Cheadle Hulme is
located in the South-west of the Borough of Stockport about 3 miles
equidistant from Stockport town centre and the boundary with Manchester.
Cheadle Hulme developed from the merging of a number of separate villages
and hamlets – Lane End, Smithy Green, Gill Bent, Grove Lane and Hulme
Hall. Cheadle Hulme was once part of the manor of Cheadle ( Cedd e)
until around 1326.
The district was still known as Cheadle Moseley until the 20th century.
The word “Hulme” is derived from an old Danish word
” hulm ” meaning “water meadow” or an “island
in the fen”, therefore the whole placename might be reasonably
defined as meaning “a water meadow belonging to the town of Cheadle”.
Alternatively, the name “Cheadle” may have been derived from
the name of the Anglo-Saxon Saint Chad. The 1930s saw a considerable
swelling of the local population, (an increase of around 40%), with
an influx of new residents moving out of neighbouring Manchester. Today
it is a well sought after dormitory district for the people of Manchester
and Stockport.
Cheadle Hulme Village Website is at: www.cheadlehulme.net.

Bramhall

Bramhall
Bramhall. Aerial Photo Courtesy of www.webbaviation.co.uk © 2008

The district of
Bramhall lies to the south of the Borough of Stockport, about 4 miles
from the boundary with Manchester and from Stockport town centre. Bramhall
has a long and celebrated history, with evidence that there had been
an Ancient British settlement in the area and that part of an old Roman
Road followed the line of Lumb Lane, in all probability part of the
road the fort in Manchester to that in Buxton in Derbyshire. Entered
in the Domesday Book in 1086 as ” Bramale ” from the
Old English meaning “nook or place where the broom tree grows” .
This Civil Parish was originally in Cheshire in Stockport Ecclesiastical
Parish and in the Stockport Poor Law Union. In 1900 it became part of
Hazel Grove and Bramhall Urban District, and in 1974 became part of
Stockport Metropolitan Borough.
Before the railways came in the 1840’s, the district was little more
than a hamlet at Bramhall Green, and a small group of cottages. During
this time, the principle industry was silk weaving. Bramhall village
was built up around the junction of three roads – Bramhall Lane South,
Ack Lane and Woodford Road. Bramhall has an attractive town centre a
wide diversity of building styles, from Tudor-style buildings to Georgian
and more modern styles.
Bramall Hall is an old Tudor manor house, and well worth visiting; it
is said to be one of best preserved black and white timber buildings
in Cheshire. Its oldest parts date from the 14th century, though the
estate itself dates back to around 1070 AD when William the Conqueror
subdued the north-west region; dividing the land amongst his loyal followers,
the manor of “Bramale” were given to Hamo de Masci ( “Massey”
– he became the first baron of Dunham Massey). In earlier Saxon times,
(before the Conquest), the estate formed part of the much bigger two
neighbouring manors of Brun and Hacun.
In the 12th century the manor passed to the Bromale family, and stayed
with them for 200 years until, through marriage, it passed to
Davenports, who resided at Bramall for 500 years. Only in recent times
has it come into the possession of Stockport. 
Also See Bramhall
Hall

Marple

Marple village is
situated in the east of the Borough of Stockport, approximately 5 miles
from Stockport Town Centre. Marple township was originally in Cheshire.
Its picturesque surroundings make it one of the most attractive villages
in the Borough and well worth a visit. Distinctive features are the
Peak Forest Canal, the beautiful
Goyt Valley, overlooked by the Peak
District National Park
. Known as ” Merpille ” by
the early 13th century, there are at least two possible explanations
of the placename. One explanation is based on the two Old English words
” maere ” and ” pyll “, together meaning
“a pool or stream near the boundary”. Alternatively, Marple,
or “Merpel” as it was written when the name first appeared
on the pages of history, is believed to be derived from either “maere
hop hyll” meaning “the hill at the boundary valley”.

In early times it was an agricultural region with some d small-scale
manufacturing of woollen cloth. It was local entrepreneur, Samuel
Oldknow
of Mellor, who introduced mechanised and industrialised
production methods that transformed the district. Oldknow established
the first Mill by the River Goyt, sank coal mines, built houses for
his workers, constructed new roads and was instrumental in the creation
of the Peak Forest and Macclesfield
Canals
that meet at Marple Junction. From the 1930’s onwards there
was a national decline in the cotton industry and Marple ceased its
textile production. Today, Marple is a much sought-after location for
living, and its canal connections, especially the Marple flight of 16
locks, attract many visitors to watch boaters or to walk the attractive
and historic towpaths.

Edgeley

The district of
Edgeley is located centrally within the borough, and about 8 miles from
Manchester city centre to the north-west. Once in the Cheadle township,
the name probably comes from the Old English meaning “on the edge
of a hill” which aptly describes this location. Edgeley, or “Eddyshelegh” ,
as it was known in older times, can be traced back to the early part
of the 13th century. Castle Street, once the main arterial thoroughfare,
is now completely pedestrianised. Edgeley is also home to Stockport
County Football Club, (The Hatters), who have their ground in the district.
SCFC, Edgeley Park, Hardcastle Road, Edgeley, Stockport, Cheshire SK3
9DD. Tel : 0161-286-8888.
Their website is at: https://www.stockportcounty.com.

Reddish

Reddish is located
about 1½ miles north of Stockport town centre just outside the
Manchester boundary. A once thriving industrial centre with Houldsworth
and Albion Mills dominating its landscape and workforce. Houldsworth
Square is still the focal centre point of Reddish. Known by 1212 as
” Rediche ” from Old English words meaning “reed
or reedy ditch”, this township or Civil Parish was at one time
in Lancashire.
Apart from its industrial heritage, the Reddish Heritage Trail offers
fine opportunities for rural walks, as does the local Reddish Vale Country
Park, which is a place to observe wildlife and for fishing. The Vale’s
beautiful surroundings are popular with picnickers and walkers on the
Trans-Pennine Trail that runs through the Park on its route across Stockport.
Houldsworth Mill has recently been converted into commercial units for
business enterprises, as well as gymnasium and modern apartments. The
Albion Mill looks down on Stockport and the River Mersey from the top
of Lancashire Hill – it still operates as a working flour mill as it
has done for many years.

Hazel
Grove

Hazel Grove is located
towards the south-east of Stockport Borough a convenient 2.5 miles from
Stockport town centre. Hazel Grove was known in 1690 as ” Hesslegrove ”
and meaning, literally, “a hazel grove”, due to the proliferation
of those hazel trees in the locality. Locality in Bosden, Bramhall,
Norbury, Offerton, Torkington and Stockport townships, formerly known
as “Bullock Smithy” , (a once famous resting place on
the coaching run from Manchester to Buxton), until 1836, when the name
“Hazel Grove” was revived.
Hazel Grove nowadays has a very large shopping centre along the the
A6 trunk road corridor running southwards out of the borough. Local
Torkington Park offers a peaceful and attractive location for a day
trips out, and its remote location makes Hazel Grove a virtual gateway
to the Peak District, to Disley,
Buxton and Lyme Park.
Its extensive range of fine restaurants and specialist shops make Hazel
Grove a popular shopping venue as well as for fine dining nights out.

Romiley

The district of
Romiley lies in the north-east of the Borough of Stockport on the edge
of the Peak District, and located about 4 miles from Stockport town
centre.
Romiley has a long history – The Domesday Survey of 1086 called the
place ” Rumelie ” (roomy lea) meaning “a spacious
woodland clearing”. This Parish was once in Cheshire, in Stockport
Ecclesiastical Parish and in the Stockport Poor Law Union.
It was in the first years of the 19th century that Romiley developed
in its present day form, due in large part to the completion of the
Peak Forest Canal and the resultant improved transport infrastructure
and increase in industrial opportunities which came with it. Oakwood
Mill, for example, was built by the side of the canal in the mid-1830’s
and became a major local employer. Further residential and industrial
development took place after the completion of the railway in 1863,
and the local railway station still makes it possible for commuters
to work in Manchester and Stockport and to travel back to Romily by
train.
The Church Lane Conservation Area is located in the centre of Romily
close to the magnificent St Chads Church. Romiley Forum is a major entertainment
venue in the centre of the village which offers an ongoing and changing
programme of drama, dance, music and comedy events and shows.

See
also:


<<
Previous


Google
Search

Custom Search

Animated Papillon Graphics Butterfly Logo
Papillon Graphics


Copyright
© John Moss, Papillon Graphics AD 2013 Manchester, United Kingdom – all rights reserved.
This page last updated 16 Nov 12.