Manchester's Ten  Metropolitan Boroughs

SEARCH:

NAVIGATION:

ADMINISTRATION:

Gazetteer
of Greater Manchester Placenames – 2


Districts & Townships of the Metropolitan County

An alphabetical
listing of townships, Civil Parishes, Ecclesiastical Parishes, Boroughs,
Rural and Urban Districts, localities, villages, counties and hamlets
lying within, or formally within, the Greater Manchester Metropolitan
County, including the origins of placenames. Much of this information
was gathered from the Domesday Survey of 1086 and other subsequent records
and from Greater Manchester County Record Office – for more information
on the latter, visit the website at: https://www.gmcro.co.uk/

Select
from Alphabetical listing:

A B
C D
E F
G H
I J
K L
M N
O P
Q R
S T
U V
W

D

DAISY HILL:
Area in Westhoughton township of Bolton.

DAISY NOOK:
Area, also known as Waterhouses, in Ashton under Lyne township, subsequently
in Woodhouses Civil Parish, in the Metropolitan Borough of Tameside.

DALTON: A common placename in the north of England. Known in the 1086 Domesday
Survey as ” Daltone ” and meaning a “farmstead,
village or dwelling in a valley”. This township or Civil Parish
was in Wigan Rural District, Lancashire. In 1968 part of the Civil Parish
was added to Skelmersdale and Holland Urban District. In 1974 both Wigan
Rural District and Skelmersdale and Holland Urban District were dissolved.
The area of the Urban District, together with the remaining area of
Dalton Civil Parish, became part of West Lancashire District in the
County of Lancashire.

DARCY LEVER:
Known as ” Parua Lefre ” (Little Lever) in 1212, from
the Old English meaning “a place where rushes grow”. Part
of the district of came into the possession of the D’Arcy family from
1066 and became known as ” Darce Lever ” by 1590, to
distinguish it from Little Lever. This township or Civil Parish was
in Lancashire. It was in Bolton (or Bolton le Moors) Ecclesiastical
Parish and in the Bolton Poor Law Union. In 1898 it became part of Bolton
Borough.

DARNHILL:
Area in Heap township

DAUBHILL:
Area in Over Hulton township added to Bolton Borough in 1898

DAVYHULME:
This Civil Parish was formed in 1894 from the area of Barton upon Irwell
township. It was in Lancashire and in Barton upon Irwell Poor Law Union.
In 1892 small areas of land in the Davyhulme area were exchanged between
Barton upon Irwell and Pendleton townships. In 1896 part of it was added
to Barton Moss Civil Parish. In 1933 Davyhulme Civil Parish was dissolved
and its area divided between Urmston and Stretford Urban Districts.
Now part of Trafford Metropolitan Borough.

DEANE: A
common English placename in medieval times, simply meaning “a valley”
or a “place in a valley”. This name was given in 1894 to part
of the former Rumworth township or Civil Parish. Deane was also the
name of the ancient Ecclesiastical Parish containing the township. In
1898 Deane Civil Parish became part of Bolton Borough.

DENTON: A
common English placename in medieval times, simply meaning “a village
or farmstead in a valley”. Known by this name since around 1220.
This township or Civil Parish was once in Lancashire. It was in the
Manchester Poor Law Union. In 1857 Denton Local Board of Health was
established for the area of the township. In 1884 it was combined with
the area of the adjoining Haughton Local Board of Health. In 1894 Haughton
township was included within Denton township and this area became Denton
Urban District. In 1933 part of it was added to the City of Manchester.
In 1937 there was an exchange of very small areas with Stockport Borough.
In 1974 the Urban District became part of Tameside Metropolitan Borough.

DIDSBURY:
Known from 1246 as ” Dedesbiry “, and meaning in Old
English, “the stronghold of a man called Dyddi”. This township
was formerly in Lancashire. It was in Manchester Ecclesiastical Parish
and in the Chorlton Poor Law Union from 1837-1915, and in Manchester
Poor Law Union from 1915-30. In 1876 it was included in the area of
Withington Local Board of Health. Under the Divided Parishes Act of
1882 part of the township was added to Burnage township. In 1894 it
became part of Withington Urban District. In 1904 it became part of
the City of Manchester.
See Didsbury –
Main Entry.

DIGGLES:
Area in Heap township, transferred to Birtle with Bamford township under
the Divided Parishes Act of 1882.

DIXON FOLD:
Area in Clifton township, not to be confused with the area of the same
name in Farnworth township. Near this area in Clifton township was Dixon
Fold railway station.

DROYLSDEN:
From around 1250 known as ” Dilisden ” and possibly meaning
“valley of the dry spring or stream”. This township or Civil
Parish was in Lancashire. It was in Manchester Ecclesiastical Parish
and in Ashton under Lyne Poor Law Union. In 1863 Droylsden Local Board
of Health was established for part of the township. In 1889 part of
the township was added to Openshaw township. In 1890 part (Clayton area)
of the township was added to the City of Manchester. In 1894 the remaining
area of Droylsden township became Droylsden Urban District. In 1933
there was an exchange of areas with the City of Manchester. In 1954
part of Little Moss Civil Parish was added to the Urban District. In
1974 the Urban District became part of Tameside Metropolitan Borough.

DUKINFIELD:
From the 12th century known as ” Drokenfeld ” in Old
English meaning “a place where ducks are kept in a field”.
This township or Civil Parish was in Cheshire. It was in Stockport Ecclesiastical
Parish and in Ashton under Lyne Poor Law Union. In 1857 Dukinfield Local
Board of Health was established for part of the area of the township.
In 1857 part of the township was included in Stalybridge Borough. In
1894 the remainder of the township became Dukinfield Urban District.
In 1898 there was an exchange of areas with Ashton under Lyne Borough,
Lancashire, and the whole Urban District, incl. the area transferred
from Ashton under Lyne Borough, was included in Cheshire County. In
1899 the Urban District became a Municipal Borough. In 1936 part of
Matley Civil Parish was added to the Borough arid there was an exchange
of areas with Hyde Borough. In 1974 the Borough became part of Tameside
Metropolitan Borough.

DUNHAM MASSEY:
From the Old English word, Dunham, meaning “homestead or village
on a hill” and Massey, simply “belonging to the Massey family”.
This township or Civil Parish was in Cheshire. It was in Bowdon Ecclesiastical
Parish and in the Bucklow Poor Law Union (which was called Altrincham
Union until 1895). In 1920 part of the Civil Parish was added to Altrincham
Urban District. In 1936 another part of it was added to the same Urban
District and a small part to Bowdon Urban District. Also in 1936 part
of Bollington Civil Parish was added to Dunham Massey Civil Parish.
In 1974 the remaining area of the Civil Parish became part of Trafford
Metropolitan Borough. See also – Main Entry.

E

EAGLEY: Area
in Little Bolton and Turton townships In Bolton Metropolitan Borough.

ECCLES: Romano-British,
known from c1200, simply meaning “Church” (as in the French
“Egise” and the Latin “Ecclesia”). In 1854 the Barton,
Eccles, Winton and Monton Local Board of Health was established for
the northern part of Barton upon Irwell township. In 1892, together
with a small part of Worsley township, the area of the Board became
largely though not entirely the same as that of the Borough of Eccles.
The Borough was in the Barton upon Irwell Poor Law Union. In 1933 most
of Barton Moss civil parish and part of Worsley Urban District were
added to the Borough. In 1961 a very small part of it was added to Salford
Borough. In 1974 Eccles Borough became part of the City of Salford (a
Metropolitan District).

EDENFIELD:
District of Greater Manchester. Known since 1324, formerly ” Aytounfeld ”
meaning “farmstead on well-watered land”.

EDGELEY:
Area once in the Cheadle township, subsequently in Stockport Borough.
Probably from the Old English meaning “on the edge of a hill”
which aptly describes this location.

EDGEWORTH:
From 1212 known as ” Eggewrthe “, Old English meaning
“an enclosure on an edge or hillside”, now in the Borough
of Bolton, site of a famous Civil War battle.

EGERTON:
Area in Turton township.

ELTON: Commonly
meaning “a place or town where eels are found”, but also possibly
meaning “the land of a man called Ella” in Old English. This
township was in Lancashire in Bury Ecclesiastical Parish and in the
Bury Poor Law Union. In 1872 part of it was included in the area of
Bury improvement commissioners. In 1883 part of it was included in the
area of Ramsbottom Local Board of Health. In 1885 another part of it
was included in Bury Borough. In 1894 the township was dissolved and
its area divided between Bury Borough, Radcliffe, Ramsbottom and Tottington
Urban Districts and Ainsworth township. Now part of Bury Metropolitan
Borough.

F

FAILSWORTH:
Placename from the Old English meaning possibly “an enclosure with
a special kind of fence”. Dated from 1212 as ” Fayleswrthe “.
This township was in Lancashire. It was in Manchester Ecclesiastical
Parish and in the Manchester Door law Union from 1841-50, in Prestwich
Poor Law Union from 1850-1915, and in Manchester Poor Law Union from
1915-30. In 1863 Failsworth Local Board of Health was established and
in 1894 the area of the Local Board became an Urban District. In 1933
there was an exchange of areas with the City of Manchester. In 1954
parts of Bardsley, Little Moss and Woodhouses civil parishes were added
to it. In 1974 it became part of Oldham Metropolitan Borough.

FAIRFIELD:
Area in Droylsden township of Tameside. Possibly from the Old English
” Forfeld ” – a place where pigs or hogs are pastured”.

FALL BIRCH:
Area in Horwich township of Bolton.

FALLOWFIELD:
Area in Withington township in the City of Manchester. Literally meaning
“a field left fallow, or unploughed”. See Fallowfield –
Main
Entry
.

FARNWORTH:
Known as early as 1185 as “Farnewurd e” and meaning
in Old English “an enclosure where ferns grow”. This Civil
Parish was in Lancashire in the Deane Ecclesiastical Parish and in the
Bolton Poor Law Union. In 1863 Farnworth Local Board of Health was established.
In 1894 the area of the Local Board became Farnworth Urban District.
In 1939 it became a Municipal Borough. In 1974 it became part of Bolton
Metropolitan Borough.

FEATHERSTALL:
Area in Blatchinworth and Calderbrook township.

FIRGROVE:
Area in Butterworth township.

FIRWOOD:
Area in Tonge with Haulgh township.

FLIXTON:
From 1177 known by this name, from Old English meaning “a village
or land belonging to a man called Flick”. This township was originality
in Lancashire. It was in Flixton Ecclesiastical Parish and in the Chorlton
Poor Law Union from 1841-49, and in Barton upon Irwell Poor Law Union
from 1849-1930. In 1896 there were exchanges of areas with Irlam Urban
District and Barton Moss Civil Parish. In 1920 there was an exchange
of areas with Carrington Civil Parish. In 1933 the Civil Parish became
part of Urmston Urban District. Now part of Trafford Metropolitan Borough.

FLOWERY FIELD:
Area in Newton township, subsequently in Hyde Borough, Tameside.

FREETOWN:
Area in Bury township.

G

GALE: Area
in Blatchinworth and Calderbrook township.

GATLEY: Known
as ” Gateclyve ” in 1290 – Old English meaning “a
place where goats are kept”. See Stockport Etchells. See also “
Cheadle
& Gatley
“.

GEE CROSS:
Area in Werneth township, subsequently in Hyde Borough, now part of
Tameside.

GIGG: Area
in Heap township, subsequently in Bury Metropolitan Borough.

GILNOW: Area
in Little Bolton township.

GIN PITS:
Area in Astley township of Wigan Metropolitan Borough.

GLAZEBURY:
Area partly in Culcheth township and partly in Bedford township.

GODLEY: This
township was formerly in Cheshire. It was in Mottram in Longdendale
Ecclesiastical Parish and in the Ashton under Lyne Poor Law Union. In
1877 it was included in the area of Hyde Local Board of Health. In 1881
it became part of Hyde Borough. Now part of Tameside Metropolitan Borough.

GOLBORNE:
From 1187 known as ” Goldeburn ” from the Old English
meaning “a stream where marsh marigolds grow”. This township
was formerly in Lancashire. It was in Winwick Ecclesiastical Parish
and in the Leigh Poor Law Union. In 1894 it became an Urban District.
In 1933 Kenyon and Lowton Civil Parishes and the northern part of Culcheth
Civil Parish were added to it. In 1957 there was an exchange of small
areas with Abram Urban District and in 1969 with Leigh Borough and with
Irlam Urban District. In 1974, the Culcheth and Newchurch wards (including
the northern part of the former Civil Parish of Culcheth and part including
Kenyon Hall of the former Civil Parish of Kenyon) became part of Warrington
District, Cheshire; the remainder became part of Wigan Metropolitan
Borough. Residents of both parts still hotly dispute whether Golborne
is in Wigan (ie. Greater Manchester) or Warrington (Cheshire).

GORTON: Known
since 1282. Surviving Old English placename meaning “dirty farmstead”.
This Civil Parish was formerly in Lancashire. It was in Manchester Ecclesiastical
Parish and in Chorlton Poor Law Union from 1837-1915, and in Manchester
Poor Law Union from 1915-30. In 1863 Gorton Local Board of Health was
established. In 1890 West Gorton township was added to the City of Manchester.
In 1894 the remaining area became Gorton Urban District. In 1901 part
of the Urban District was added to the City of Manchester. In 1909 the
remaining area of the Urban District became part of the City of Manchester.

See Gorton – Main Entry.

GREAT BOLTON:
This Civil Parish was formerly in Lancashire. It was in Bolton (or Bolton
le Moors) Ecclesiastical Parish and in Bolton Poor Law Union. In 1792
Improvement Trustees (or police commissioners) were established for
the improvement of the area of the township. In 1838 the township became
part of Bolton Borough.

GREATER MANCHESTER
COUNTY
: This Metropolitan County was formed, controversially, in
1974 from parts of the West Riding of Yorkshire (Saddleworth only),
Cheshire and Lancashire, its area comprising the ten following Metropolitan
Districts: Manchester, Salford, Bolton, Bury, Oldham, Rochdale, Stockport,
Tameside, Trafford and Wigan.

GREAT HEATON:
This Civil Parish, (also called Over Heaton), was formerly in Lancashire,
situated between Prestwich and Manchester. It was in Prestwich with
Oldham Ecclesiastical Parish and in the Manchester Poor Law Union from
1841-50, but in 1850 was included in Prestwich Poor Law Union. It should
not be confused with Heaton township, near Bolton, or Heaton Norris
township, between Manchester and Stockport. In 1894 the township was
dissolved and its area divided between Middleton Borough and Prestwich
Urban District. In 1903 the Heaton Park area became part of the City
of Manchester.

GREAT LEVER:
This Civil Parish was formerly in Lancashire. It was in Middleton Ecclesiastical
Parish and in Bolton Poor Law Union. In 1898 it became part of Bolton
Borough.

GREAVE: Area
in Spotland township.

GREENLOW HEATH:
Area in Chorlton upon Medlock township.

GREENLOW MARSH:
Greenlow (or Grindlow) Marsh or Cross – an area in Gorton township.

GREENMOUNT:
Area in Tottington Lower End township, formerly known as Nailer’s Green,
now part of Bury Metropolitan Borough.

GUIDE BRIDGE:
Area in Audenshaw division of Ashton under Lyne township, now part of
Tameside.

H

HAIGH: Old
English placename, ” Hage ” dating from 1194 and meaning
“an enclosure ” – from the old Scandinavian “hagi”.
This Civil Parish was formerly in Lancashire. It was in Wigan Ecclesiastic
Parish and in Wigan Poor Law Union. In 1974 it became part of Wigan
Metropolitan Borough.

HALE: Common
Old English placename meaning “nook, or corner of the land”.
Originally in the Domesday Survey of 1086, known in 1094 as “Halas”.
This Civil Parish was formerly in Cheshire. It was in Bowdon Ecclesiastical
Parish and in Bucklow Poor Law Union (which was called Altrincham Union
until 1895). In 1900 part of the Civil Parish was separated to become
Ringway Civil Parish and the remainder of Hale Civil Parish became an
Urban District. In 1936 a small part of the Urban District was added
to Altrincham Urban District and parts of Altrincham Urban District,
Bowdon Urban District and Ashley, Ringway and Timperley Civil Parishes
were added to Hale Urban District. In 1974 the Urban District became
part of Trafford Metropolitan Borough.

HALLIWELL:
From the 10th century Old English, literally meaning “Holy well”.
This Civil Parish was formerly in Lancashire. It was in Deane Ecclesiastical
Parish and in Bolton Poor Law Union. In 1863 Halliwell Local Board of
Health was established for the area of the township. In 1 877 part of
the township was added to Bolton Borough. The remaining area, originally
known as Halliwell Higher End and from 1894 as Smithills township or
Civil Parish, also became part of Bolton Borough in 1898.

HALSHAW MOOR:
Area in Farnworth and Kearsley townships, now part of Bolton Metro Borough.

HAMER: Area
in Wardleworth township.

HANDFORTH:
Known in the 12th century as ” Haneforde ” possibly meaning
“a ford frequented by game birds”. This township or Civil
Parish was formerly in Cheshire. Its area was in Handforth cum Bosden
township which in 1877 was divided into Handforth and Bosden townships
or Civil Parishes. In 1904 Handforth Civil Parish became an Urban District.
(Bosden Civil Parish became part of Hazel Grove and Bramhall Urban District
in 1900). In 1936 Handforth Urban District was dissolved and its area
divided between Cheadle and Gatley Urban District and Wilmslow Now in
Cheshire County. The Civil Parish of Handforth cum Bosden was formerly
in Cheshire. It was in Cheadle Ecclesiastical Parish. It was in Altrincham
Poor Law Union briefly in 1837 but was subsequently in Stockport Poor
Law Union. In 1877 it was divided into the two townships of Handforth
and Bosden.

HARES HILL:
Area in Hopwood township of Rochdale Metro Borough.

HARPER GREEN:
Area in Farnworth township of Bolton Metropolitan Borough.

HARPURHEY:
Known in 1320 as ” Harpourhey “, and meaning “land
belonging to a man called Harpour”. This Civil Parish was formerly
in Lancashire. It was in Manchester Ecclesiastical Parish and in the
Manchester Poor Law Union from 1841-50, in Prestwich Poor Law Union
from 1850-1915, and in Manchester Poor Law Union again from 1915-30.
In 1885 it became part of the City of Manchester.
See Harpurhey –
Main Entry.

HARTSHEAD:
Hartshead was one of the ancient divisions in Ashton under Lyne township.
In 1894 Hartshead township or Civil Parish was formed from the area
of Ashton under Lyne township. It was in Ashton under Lyne Poor Law
Union. In 1935 the Civil Parish was dissolved; most of it was added
to Ashton under Lyne Borough and a small part to Alt Civil Parish.

HARWOOD:
Three possible meanings from Old English – 1). “Grey wood”,
2). “wood by the rocks”, or 3). most likely, “wood frequented
by hares”. Known in 1212 as ” Harewode “. This township
or Civil Parish was formerly in Lancashire. It was in Bolton (or Bolton
le Moors) Ecclesiastical Parish and in Bolton Poor Law Union. It should
not be confused with Great and Little Harwood, near Blackburn, Lancashire.
In 1898 it became part of Turton Urban District. Now part of Bolton
Metropolitan Borough.

HATTERSLEY:
This township or Civil Parish was formerly in Cheshire and is now part
of Tameside Metropolitan Borough. It was in Mottram in Longendale Ecclesiastical
Parish and in Ashton under Lyne Poor Law Union. In 1936 it was dissolved
and its area divided between Hyde Borough and Longdendale Urban District.

HAUGH: Placename
common in Old English and meaning “a nook or corner of land”.
Area in Butterworth township.

HAUGHTON:
As above, meaning “a farmstead or village in a corner or nook of
the land”. This township or Civil Parish was formerly in Lancashire.
It was in Manchester Ecclesiastical Parish and in Ashton under Lyne
Poor Law Union. In 1877 Haughton Local Board of Health was established
for the area of the township. In 1884 its area was combined with that
of Denton Local Board of Health under the name of Dent and Haughton
Local Board of Health. In 1894 the township became part of Denton township
and this area became Denton Urban District. Now part of Tameside Metropolitan
Borough.

HAWKSHAW: From
the Old English meaning either “a small wood or copse belonging
to a man called “Hawkr” or “a small wood frequented by
hawks”. Area in Tottington Lower End township.

HAYDOCK:
Known in 1169 a ” Hedoc “, probably from the Welsh ” Heddiog”
meaning “barley place” or “corn farm”. Part of Haydock
Urban District added to Ashton in Makerfield (Wigan), the remainder
is now part of Merseyside.

HAZEL GROVE &
BRAMHALL
: Hazel Grove known in 1690 as ” Hesslegrove ”
and meaning, literally, “a hazel grove”. Locality in Bosden,
Bramhall, Norbury, Offerton, Torkington and Stockport townships, formerly
known as Bullock Smithy until 1836 when the name “Hazel Grove” was revived.
Bramhall appears in the 1086 Domesday Survey as ” Bramale “,
and Old English name meaning “nook of land where broom grows”.
In 1900 the Urban District of Hazel Grove and Bramhall was formed from
the Cheshire Civil Parishes of: Bosden, Bramhall, Norbury, Offerton,
Torkington. It was in Stockport Poor Law Union. In 1901 part of the
Urban District was added to Stockport Borough and in 1935 another part.
In 1936 part of the Urban District was added to Marple Urban District.
In 1939 Woodford Civil Parish became part of Hazel Grove and Bramhall
Urban District. In 1974 the Urban District became part of Stockport
Metropolitan Borough.

HEADY HILL:
Locality in Heap township.

HEALEY: Locality
in Spotland township.

HEAP: This
township or Civil Parish was formerly in Lancashire. It was in Bury
Ecclesiastical Parish and in Bury Poor Law Union. In 1872 part of it
was included in the area of Bury improvement commissioners. Under the
Divided Parishes Act of 1882 part of it was added to Birtle with Bamford
township. The township included the town of Heywood. In 1864 Heap Middle
Division Local Board of Health was established for part of the township.
In 1867 the Local Board was reconstituted as Heywood Local Board of
Health and another part of Heap township and parts of Hopwood, Birtle
with Bamford, Pilsworth and Castleton townships were added to its area.
In 1881 the area of the Local Board became the Borough of Heywood. In
1894 Heap township was dissolved and its area divided between Bury and
Heywood Boroughs and Birtle with Bamford and Unsworth townships. Now
partly in the Bury and in the Rochdale Metropolitan Boroughs of Greater
Manchester.

HEAP BRIDGE:
Locality in Heap township.

HEATON: Several
places in the region have this name – the following are the major ones:
(1) Heaton township, near Bolton. (2) Great and Little Heaton townships
between Prestwich and Manchester, an area also known as Heaton Faghfield
(or Faughfield or Fallowfield), Over Heaton and Heaton Reddish (3) Heaton
Norris township, between Manchester and Stockport, which contained Heaton
Mersey, Heaton Chapel, and Heaton Moor. See separate entries for all
of the above.

HEATON (Bolton):
Heaton is a common Old English placename, generally meaning “a
high farmstead”. This township was formerly in Lancashire. It was
in Deane Ecclesiastical Parish and in Bolton Poor Law Union. It was
sometimes known as Heaton under Hill or Heaton Horwich, to distinguish
it from Great and Little Heaton townships near Prestwich and from Heaton
Norris township between Manchester and Stockport. In 1898 it became
part of Bolton Borough.

HEATON CHAPEL:
Locality in Heaton Norris township of Stockport. Meaning “The high
farmstead near the chapel”.

HEATON MERSEY:
Locality in Heaton Norris township of Stockport. Meaning “the high
farmstead beside the River Mersey”.

HEATON MOOR:
Locality in Heaton Norris township of Stockport. Meaning the “high
farmstead on the moor or marshland”.

HEATON NORRIS:
This township or Civil Parish was formerly in Lancashire. It should
not be confused with other townships of a similar name. It was in Manchester
Ecclesiastical Parish and in the Stockport Poor Law Union. In 1835 part
of it was included in Stockport Borough. In 1872 a separate Local Board
of Health was established for the area and in 1894 the area of the Local
Board became an Urban District. In 1901 part of the Urban District was
added to Stockport Borough. In 1913 it was dissolved and its area divided
between Stockport Borough and the City of Manchester. Now entirely within
Stockport Metropolitan Borough, often mistakenly thought to be in Cheshire.

HEATON PARK:
This area became part of the City of Manchester in 1903.

HEBERS: Locality
in Middleton township.

HEY: Another
name for the Lees area in Ashton under Lyne township.

HEYROD: Locality
in Hartshead division of Ashton under Lyne township added to Stalybridge
Borough in 1881.

HEYWOOD:
Name appears in 1246 as ” Heghwode “, and simply meaning
“high wood” in Old English. This town was in Heap township
or Civil Parish. In 1864 the Heap Middle Division Local Board of Health
was established for part of Heap township. In 1867 the Local Board was
reconstituted as Heywood Local Board of Health and another part of Heap
township and parts of Hopwood, Birtle with Bamford, Pilsworth and Castleton
townships were added to its area. In 1879 parts of Hopwood and Pilsworth
townships were added to the area of the Local Board. In 1881 the area
of the Local Board became the Borough of Heywood. It was in Bury Poor
Law Union. In 1894 Heap township was dissolved. In 1900 part of Castleton
Urban District was added to the Borough. In 1933 part of the Borough
was added to Bury Borough and parts of Norden Urban District and of
Birtle with Bamford and Unsworth Civil Parishes were added to it. In
1974 Hewood became part of Rochdale Metropolitan Borough.

HIGH LANE:
Locality in Marple township.

HINDLEY:
Known by 1212 as ” Hindele ” and meaning in Old English
“a place or clearing where does or hinds can be found”. This
township or Civil Parish was formerly in Lancashire. It was in Wigan
Ecclesiastical Parish and in Wigan Poor Law Union. In 1867 Hindley Local
Board of Health was established for the area of the township. In 1894
the area of the Local Board became an Urban District. In 1974 the Urban
District became part of Wigan Metropolitan Borough.

HINDSFORD:
Area in Atherton township.

HOLCOMBE:
A common Old English placename meaning “a deep or hollow valley”.
Known in the early 13th century as ” Holecumba “. Locality
in Tottington Lower End township, now part of Bury Metropolitan Borough.

HOLCROFT:
Locality in Culcheth township.

HOLLIN: Locality
in Middleton township.

HOLLINGWORTH:
Appears in the Domesday Survey of 1086 as ” Holisurde ”
and by the 13th century was known as ” Holinewurthe “.
This township or Civil Parish was formerly in Cheshire. It was in Mottram
in Longdendale Ecclesiastical Parish and in Ashton under Lyne Poor Law
Union. In 1863 Hollingworth Local Board of Health was established for
the area of the township. In 1894 the area of the Board became an Urban
District. In 1936 the Urban District became part of Longdendale Urban
District.

HOLLINS:
Possibly from an Old English word simply meaning “Holly”.
Locality in Pilsworth township, subsequently in Unsworth Civil Parish,
now part of Bury Metropolitan Borough.

HOLLINWOOD
:Probably from an Old English name meaning “a hollow or valley
in a wood”. In 1713 a settlement was agreed that Hollinwood should
be within the town of Oldham except for 20 acres which were to be in
Chadderton township. In 1880 part of the Hollinwood area in Oldham Borough
was added to Chadderton township. Now part of Oldham Metropolitan Borough.

HOOLEY BRIDGE:
Locality in Birtle with Bamford township of Bury.

HOOLEY HILL:
Locality in Ashton under Lyne township, subsequently in Audenshaw township
– now part of Tameside.

HOPE: Locality
in Pendleton township – in Salford metropolitan Borough.

HOPWOOD:
From 1278 known as ” Hopwode ” and Old English name meaning
“a wood near an enclosure” or “a small enclosed wood”.
This township or Civil Parish was formerly in Lancashire. It was in
Middleton Ecclesiastical Parish and in Bury Poor Law Union. In 1863
a Local Board of Health was established for the area of the township.
In 1867 part of the area of the township was included in the area of
Heywood Local Board of Health and in 1879 another part; in 1881 these
areas became part of Heywood Borough. In 1879 part of the township was
included in the area of the commissioners for the improvement of Middleton
and Tonge townships and in 1886 became part of Middleton Borough. In
1879 another part of the township was included in the area of Castleton
by Rochdale Local Board of Health. In 1894 the township was dissolved
and its area divided between Heywood Borough, Middleton Borough and
Castleton by Rochdale Urban District. In 1896 this last Urban District
was renamed Castleton; in 1900 it was dissolved and its area divided
between Heywood and Rochdale Boroughs. Now part of Rochdale Metropolitan
Borough.

HORWICH:
Known from 1221 as ” Horwic “, and Old English name meaning
“the place at the grey wych-elm”. This township or Civil Parish
was formerly in Lancashire. It was in Deane Ecclesiastical Parish and
in Bolton Poor Law Union. In 1872 Horwich Local Board of Health was
established for the area of the township. In 1894 the area of the Local
Board became an Urban District. In 1974 Horwich Urban District became
part of Bolton Metropolitan Borough.

HOUGHTON:
A common Old English placename meaning generally ” a farmstead
or village on or near a ridge or outcrop of a hill”. Locality in
Worsley township and subsequently in Swinton township, now part of the
City of Salford, a Greater Manchester Metropolitan Borough.

HOWE BRIDGE:
Locality in Atherton township.

HULME: Old
English word meaning “an island, or dry land in a marsh or water
meadow”. From 1246 known simply as ” Hulm “. This
township or Civil Parish was formerly in Lancashire. It was in Manchester
Ecclesiastical Parish, and in the Chorlton Poor Law Union from 1837-1915,
and in Manchester Poor Law Union from 1915-30. In 1838 it became part
of the Borough of Manchester. From 1824 to 1845 commissioners had powers
for the improvement of the area of the township and from 1845 to 1875
there was a Hulme Committee of the Borough or City Council. Now part
of the City of Manchester – a Metropolitan Borough.
See Hulme – Main Entry.

HULTON PARK:
Locality in Over Hulton township, subsequently in Westhoughton Urban
District. Hulton is a common Old English placename meaning “a farmstead
on a hill”.

HUNDERSFIELD:
This township or Civil Parish was formerly in Lancashire but the town
of Todmorden spread into the West Riding of Yorkshire. Hundersf ield
township came to be divided into the following four townships or Civil
Parishes: Blatchinworth and Calderbrook; Butterworth; Todmorden and
Walsden; Wuerdle and Wardle. These four townships were all in Rochdale
Ecclesiastical Parish. In 1889 an area including the former township
or Civil Parish of Todmorden and Walsden became part of The West Riding
of Yorkshire. The remainder of Hundersfield township was from 1894 divided
between Wardle, Milnrow and Littleborough Urban Districts and Rochdale
Borough.

HUNTLEY BROOK:
Locality in Bury township.

HURST: In
1861 Hurst Local Board of Health was formed for this area in Ashton
under Lyne township. In 1874 it was extended. In 1894 the area of the
Local Board became Hurst Urban District. It was in Ashton under Lyne
Poor Law Union. In 1927 the Urban District was dissolved and its area
became part of Ashton under Lyne Borough. Now part of Tameside.

HURSTEAD:
Locality in Wuerdle and Wardle township.

HYDE: A “hyde”
was originally a measure of land, as evidenced extensively in the 1086
Domesday Book survey, where land is usually expressed in hydes. Defined
as “the land required to sustain one free family and its dependants”.
The name applied to this township from the early 13th century onwards.
This township or Civil Parish was formerly in Cheshire. It was in Stockport
Ecclesiastical Parish and in Stockport Poor Law Union. In 1863 Hyde
Local Board of Health was established for the area of the township.
In 1877 Newton and Godley townships and part of Werneth township were
added to the area of the Board. In 1881 Hyde Borough was established.
In 1936 there was an exchange of areas with Dukinfield Borough aid parts
of Compstall, Hattersley and Matley Civil Parishes were added to Hyde
Borough. Also in 1936 part of the Borough was added to Bredbury and
Romiley Urban District. In 1974 the Borough became part of Tameside
Metropolitan Borough.


End of “H” Category].

‘I’ Category continues
next page >
>


Google
Search

Custom Search

Animated Papillon Graphics Butterfly Logo
Papillon Graphics

 

Copyright
© John Moss, Papillon Graphics AD 2013 Manchester, United Kingdom – all rights reserved.
This page last updated 27 Apr 09.