- 1 Manchester Help Lines for Social Security, Legal,
Tax & Benefits
- 1.1 Employment Service Direct
- 1.2 Community Legal Service
- 1.3 Disability Benefits Enquiries
- 1.4 Inland Revenue Helpline
- 1.5 Inland Revenue (HMRC)
- 1.6 Contact for MPs and MEPs
- 1.7 Trading Standards
- 1.8 Utilities – Consumer Protection
- 1.9 Consumers’ Association
- 1.10 HM Customs & Excise
- 1.11 Immigration Advisory Service
- 1.12 Missing Persons
- 1.13 Environmental Incidents
- 1.14 Floodline
- 1.15 Child Support Agency
- 1.16 Benefits Agency National Helplines
- 1.17 Benefits Agency Local Offices
Manchester Help Lines for Social Security, Legal,
Tax & Benefits
Relating to Greater Manchester and the Northwest
Employment Service Direct
Job vacancies – no benefit enquiries. Tel: 0845 60
Community Legal Service
Help with finding good quality legal advice.
Organised through the Citizens’ Advice Bureaux. Tel: 0845 608 1122.
Disability Benefits Enquiries
Benefit info for people with disabilities. Tel: 0800
Inland Revenue Helpline
Personal taxation queries Tel: 08459 000444.
Inland Revenue (HMRC)
Website at www.hmrc.gov.uk
- Self Assessment – Tel: 0845
- National Insurance – Tel:
0845 915 4655.
- Working Families Tax Credit
– Tel: 0845 609 5000.
- Disabled Person’s Tax Credits
– Tel: 0845 605 5858.
- Ashton-under-Lyne Inland Revenue Enquiry
2 Booth Street, Ashton OL6 7PL. Tel: 0161-308 5200.
- Bury Inland Revenue Enquiry Centre
9-11 Minden Parade, Bury BL6 0QN.
- Manchester Large Business Enquiry
Albert Bridge House, 1 Bridge Street, Manchester M60 9BH. Tel: 0161-288
- Manchester Trinity Enquiry Office
Trinity Bridge House, 2 Dearmans Place, Salford M3 5BH. Tel: 0161-261
- Oldham Priory Enquiry Office
Pheonix House, 44 Union Street, Oldham OL1 1EP. Tel: 0161-345 5000.
- Rochdale Enquiry Office
Newgate House, Newgate, Rochdale OL16 1XB. Tel: 01706-664000.
Contact for MPs and MEPs
House of Commons: Tel: 020-7219 3000
Members of European Parliament: Tel:020-7227 4300.
Part of local authorities, they give advice on and
investigate trading issues, weights & measures, quality standards,
complaints, etc. See under individual Local Authorities below:
- Bury Metropolitan Borough Council – Tel: 0161-253
- Cheshire Local Trading Standards – Tel: 0845
- City of Salford Council – Tel: 0161-793 2022.
- Derbyshire Trading Standards – Tel: 01629-585858.
- Manchester City Council – Tel: 01161-226 8283.
- Stockport Metropolitan Borough – Tel: 0161-474
- Tameside Metropolitan Borough Council – Tel:
- Trafford Metropolitan Borough Council – Tel:
Utilities – Consumer Protection
- Energywatch – gas and electricity
consumers council. Tel: 08459 060708
- Ofgem – gas and electricity
markets. Tel: 020-7901 7000
- Oftel – telephone communications.
Tel: 020-7634 8700
- Ofwat – water services. Tel:
Which Magazine and online web Trader Scheme, promoting
a code of good practice for companies registered on this scheme. Details
at their website at:
www.which.net/shopping/guide/ and www.which.net/webtrader.
HM Customs & Excise
Information and advice on purchasing abroad, and
a useful online shopping and duty section, at their website: www.hmce.gov.uk/public/info/index.htm
Immigration Advisory Service
24 hour service for people who have been refused
assylum or who have immigration problems.
Tel: 020-7378 9191.
National Missing Persons Helpline – 24 hour advice
Call free on Tel: 0500 700 700.
To report pollution, damage or damger to the environment
call the Environment Agency free (24 hours service) on Tel: 0800 80
To report flooding or to obtain advice, 24 hour helpline,
Tel: 0845 988 1188.
Child Support Agency
Questions and information relating to Chil Support
National Enquiry Line – Tel: 0845 713 3133.
(8.00am – 8.00pm weekdays, and 8.30am-5.30pm on Saturdays).
Benefits Agency National Helplines
Child Benefit – Tel: 0870 155 55 40.
Social Security Abroad – Tel: 0191-218 7777.
Department of Social Security Website at: www.dss.gov.uk
Benefits Agency Local Offices
Elizabeth House, 21 Back Spring Gardens Bolton BL1 1SJ
Tel: 01204-367000 (postal Districts BL1-8, M26-28).
Brun House, Kingsway, Burnley, Lancashire BB11 1AG
Tel: 01282-473200 (postal Districtss BB4, BB8-BB12, OL12).
Humphrey House, Angouleme Way, Bury BL9 0BQ
Tel: 0161-762 2000 (Postal Districts BL0, BL2, BL8, BL9).
31 Cheetham Parade, Crumpsall, Manchester M8 6DH
Tel: 0845 712 3456. (Postal Districts M8 and M9).
Roydale House, 2-10 Windermere Road, Leigh, Lancashire WN7 1UT
Tel: 01942-263700 (Postal Districts M28-29, M46, WA3, WN2, WN4-7).
Othen House, 7 Oldham Road, Middleton, Manchester M24 1BE
Tel: 0161-654 2000 (Postal Districts M24, OL10-11)
Newgate House, 1 Newgate, Rochdale OL16 1XA
Tel: 01706-714000 (Postal Districts OL2, OL11-12, OL15-16)
Unit 21, The Valley Centre, Ratenstall, Rosendale, Lancashire BB4 7QQ
Tel: 01282-473200 (Postal Districts BB4, OL12-13).
Baskerville House, Browncross Street, Salford M60 9HP
Tel: 0161-837 1000 (Postal Districts M3, M5-8, M27, M30, M44).
Brocal House, 73 King Street, Wigan WN1 1EB
- Tel: 01942-758000 (Postal Districts WA11,
While every care has been taken in the compilation
of these listings to ensure their accuracy, the authors cannot guarantee
that information has not changed since publication, nor can Papillon Graphics
be held responsible for errors contained herein. Please contact the Webmaster
to report any out-of-date information, or to suggest any new data that
may be relevant for consideration for inclusion in appropriate listings.