Manchester During the Civil War

ADMINISTRATION:

Old North-West England Families (8)


Alphabetical Listing –
continued…

The Prestwich
Family of Clifton

The now demolished
Hulme Hall at Worsley was both the one-time seat of the Prestwich
Family and the residence of the Lord of the Manor of Manchester. In
1291, Adam de Prestwich purchased the Manor of Pendlebury (known also
as Shoresworth) later to be passed on to the Radclyffe family of
Ordsall
Hall
(see below). Sometime around 1340 Richard de Langley married
Joanna, sole heiress of the Prestwich family, and subsequently the
Prestwich and Heaton estates came into the possession of the Langleys.
In earlier times, the Prestwich family had been wealthy vintners,
with extensive land holdings in the north of Manchester as far as
Farnworth (now in Bolton), but
lost most of their lands and fortune during the Civil Wars.

The Radclyffes
of Ordsall

Sometime in the
early 15th century, Elizabeth Radclyffe had married her cousin Robert
Radclyffe and built their first home at Foxdenton Hall. The Radclyffe
(or Radcliffe) family were to become major landowners in Ordsall,
Prestwich and Salford, as well as owning Wythenshawe Hall and Park
in early medieval times. The earliest part of
Ordsall
Hall
dates from just before 1361 when Sir John Radclyffe (1354-1362)
was granted a licence for his chapel at Ordsall. Sir John had fought
for the bravely and victoriously in France and was awarded one of
the most noble family mottos in the land: “Caen, Crecy, Calais”.
He was also responsible for the introduction of Flemish Weavers and
as such began England and the Northwest’s long association with the
textile industry. In 1341 Richard de Radclyffe sold a piece of land
in Prestwich called Roden (later to be known as Rooden) and nowadays
as Heaton Park. The last of the family was Charles Robert Eustace
who died in 1953 and brought to an end the long line of Radclyffes.

The name Rigby comes from the old
Norse meaning “Ridge Farm” and almost certainly is derived
from the place called Rigby in Lancashire. The earliest known spelling
of the surname is that of Gilbert de Rigebi, which was dated 1208, and
a little later in 1285 of one Henry de Ryggeby. It is recorded that
in 1339 Ambrose de Wrightington leased to Edmund de Rigby and Joan his
wife a parcel of land at Smithscroft, (Towneley). The Rigbys also appear
in connexion with Arley as early as 1483, though this was later sold
on to the Standish family. The Rigbys owned significant lands around
Standish, Coppul, Chorley and Duxbury by the 16th century. Harrock Estate
Wrightington and Parbold was long held by the Rigby family. Unfortunately,
they were staunch Royalists during the Civil Wars, and subsequently
Alexander Rigby’s estate was confiscated by Parliament, which ruined
the family’s fortunes, and Alexander died penniless and disgraced in
the Fleet Prison in 1713. Burgh is said to have been sold by the Rigbys
in 1727. The church of St Mary the Virgin was built for the worship
of the Rigby family of Middleton Hall in Goosnargh.

The township of
Sandbach in Cheshire, (probably originally spelt ‘Sandbecd’ ),
is mentioned as having a church and its own priest in the Domesday
Book in 1086. Consequently, it is a fair assumption that the family
took its name from the town.
In the 13th Century, during the reign of King John, Sandbach and the
surrounding lands were held by Richard de Sandbach, who was made High
Sheriff of Cheshire in 1230. His brother, Thomas, was also Rector
of Sandbach. Thomas’s son, Randle, was made Lord of the (small) Manor
Budenhall near Congleton. The succeeding centuries saw the ownership
of the Manor of Sandbach passing out of the family to the
Leghs
of Booth and then the Radclyffes
of Ordsall who held it for about 250 years. Margaret de Sandbach,
daughter of Sir Richard, had married the powerful Sir William de Brereton,
(whose family had accompanied William the Conqueror in his invasion
of Britain), sometime after 1226, and thereafter the families were
closely linked. (See Brereton
Family
). Later, sometime shortly before 1313, a later Richard
de Sandbach became rector of the College at Chaplains located in the
Church of St Mary and Thomas the Martyr at Upholland near Wigan. Thereafter
the family seems to have been assimilated, along with their lands
and wealth, into other noble families of the county through marriage
and subsequent references to the Sandbach family are few and far between.

The Sankey family
name has been variously spelled Sonkye, Sonkey, Sanchi, Zanchey or
Sanki. Some mention of the Sankeys will be found during documents
belonging to the reign of Henry III. Little Sankey Hall was the ancestral
family seat, and the family were wealthy and influential landed gentry
of the county of Lancashire, though the old manor was transferred
to Cheshire in 1974. The family name is probably derived from the
village of Sankey and the river of that name in the locality. The
name probably derives from the 7th century English “Sand ig” ,
meaning a sandy place, or even an island of sand in a fen or bogland.
First known mention of the name is Sonkey in 1086, though one Gerard
de Sanchi, Lord of the manor of Sankey, the first known forebear of
the family of any distinction, in an ancient record “Testa
de Nevill” , during the reign of King Edward I (1272-1307).

In about 1250, one Robert Banastre, Baron of Newton, granted land
in the district of Lowton to William de Sonkye. In 1242 there is mention
of a Roger de Sankey although his direct descendants are unknown.

The Sankey family arms are over the front door of the local parish
church (later obscured by whitewash). One family member is known to
have fallen at the battle of Agincourt, and another died at Flodden.

As late as 1670 there is an instance of the name being spelled as
Zanchey. There are various recorded spellings of the surname, including
Sonchi in the year 1180, Sanki in the tax rolls and registers of 1202,
and as Sonkey in 1228, Roger de Sonky in 1299, John Sankey of Dublin
in 1562, and Edward Sankey whose will was probated in Chester in 1609.

The Savage family
were a powerful an influential family in Cheshire before the 18th
century. Since 1368 they had been lords of half the Manor of Cheadle,
(later known as Cheadle Moseley), and were the original owners of
Bradshaw Hall, having been built by Sir John Savage during the reign
of King Henry VIII. In 1569 Sir John built Rocksavage House at Clifton,
near Runcorn in Cheshire, which became their main county seat. In
1674, this great red sandstone house was listed in the Hearth Tax
returns as having 50 hearths. During the English Civil Wars, a later
John Savage, a devoted Royalist, lost Rocksavage to Parliamentarian
forces, who looted and demolished much of the building. After the
Restoration of Charles I, it was restored to the family and was completely
renovated. Sir John’s celebrated son-in-law,
Sir
William Brereton
also built Brereton Hall as a replica of Rocksavage.
Sir Thomas Savage who was made 1st Viscount Savage married Elizabeth
Darcy, ‘Countess Rivers’ sometime in the early 17th century and the
title Earl Rivers remained in the Savage family of several succeeding
generations. By the 17th century, Thomas and Elizabeth Savage were
members of the royal court, Thomas being Chancellor to Queen Henrietta
Maria, wife of Charles I, and his wife Elizabeth was one of her ladies
of the bedchamber. Unfortunately, they fell dramatically from grace
when they were imprisoned for debt. Though the main branch of the
Savage family died out in the 18th century, (through marriage of females
of the family line, and no male heir to continue it), and Rocksavage
House ceased to exist two centuries ago, the name still survives –
in 1998, HM Queen Elizabeth officially opened Rocksavage Power Station
(now the Rocksavage Power Company Limited).

The Scarisbrick
family, major county landowners, were described once as the ‘richest
commoners’ in Britain. From 1238 they lived on the site of present
day Scarisbrick and held powerful influences as one of the great families
of Lancashire. One of the earliest references to the family name is
1230 when Scarisbrick was included in lands which Roger de Marsey
sold to Ranulf, Earl of Chester. The family married extensively with
other notable Lancashire families, including the Heskeths, Halsalls,
Bradhaighs and Barlows. They were patrons of and made several grants
to support Burscough Priory.
Their country seat, Scarisbrick Hall is a most beautiful house, and
originally dated back to the time of King Stephen. The present building
of 1867, thought by many to be one of the finest examples of Victorian
Gothic architecture in Britain, was designed by Pugin. Its 100 foot
high clock tower dominates the landscape for many miles around. The
hall remained in the possession of the Scarisbrick family until 1948,
but is now used as the school premises of Kingswood College. Greaves
Hall was also built for the Scarisbrick family. The District of Downholland
remained part of the Scarisbrick estate until 1945 when the hall and
the estate sold in various lots. The Scarisbrick family business seems
to have been in leather, textiles and drysalter’s trades, as well
as having a paper-making business at Milnthorpe in Cumbria. The Scarisbrick
family vault is in Ormskirk Church and the last member of the family
to be buried there was Thomas Scarisbrick, the funeral taking place
on the 26th July 1833.

The first recorded
spelling of the family name is shown to be that of Roger Sedan, dated
16 January 1521, when he married Elizabeth Greenehalghe, at Manchester,
during the reign of King Henry VIII (1509-1547). Recorded as Seddon
and sometimes as Sedan, Sedden, Seden, and Seyden, this is an English
surname originally associated with the county of Lancashire. It was
locational and originated from a now “lost” place thought
to have been situated in the Manchester area of Lancashire. There
are no recordings extant of the early forms of the placename, but
it is believed to mean “the broad, wide hill”, from the
Olde English pre-7th century “side”, used in the sense of
a hill-slope, with “dun”, a hill. An estimated three thousand
villages and hamlets are known to have disappeared in Britain since
the 12th Century, due to such natural causes as the Black Death of
1348, in which an eighth of the population perished, and the enforced
clearing and enclosure of rural lands for sheep pasture from the 15th
Century on. Recordings of the surname from Lancashire Church Registers
include the marriage of Richard Seddon and Alice Scholefeild on 13
January 1542, at Middleton near Oldham. Richard Seddon (1845-1906),
Prime Minister of New Zealand, was born in St Helen’s, Lancashire,
and served an engineering apprenticeship before going to the Australian
gold fields in 1863, and then on to New Zealand.

We are indebted to Beth Seddon Busby for providing this information
on the Seddon Family.

Footnote:

Daniel Seddon of Farnwoth emailed further details of the Seddon family.
He states that according to the Bridgewater Papers held in the University
of Salford: “The earliest recording of the family name is
that of Thonet and Edward Seddon, who were tenants of The Lords of
Worlsey in 1446. Richard Seddon of Ringley is also recorded as having
married a Joan Standish in 1473.”

The Sherburne family’s ancient country
seat was at Stonyhurst in Lancashire and had been so since around 1246.
Variations on the surname include Sherburn and Shyrburne. Richard Sherburne
(1460-1513) built the choir at Mitton church and was succeeded by his
son, Hugh Sherburne (1480-1528). Thomas Sherburne (1505-1536), was High
Sheriff of Lancashire and Richard Sherburne (1526-1594), was knighted
and held various public offices including Lieutenant of Lancashire.
He enlarged his estates and rebuilt the house at Stonyhurst and Mitton
church. He retained his Catholic faith after the Reformation and his
son, Richard Sherburne (1546-1629) bought the rectory and advowson of
Mitton from James I to avoid problems with non-attendance at church.
Richard Sherburne (1586-1667), married Elizabeth Walmsley (d.1666).
In 1540 a Barony was granted to the Sherburnes. The family also had
close connections with the Isle of Man. Richard Sherburne was deputy-governor
in 1532, and his son, Sir Richard, was governor from 1580 to 1592. During
the 1640s they were forced to flee to York when their estates were confiscated
by Parliament on account of their Catholic faith and support for the
Royalist cause during the English Civil Wars. Their son, Richard Sherburn
(1626-1689), remained at Stonyhurst. Their daughter, Anne, married Marmaduke
Constable, who was also Catholic and Royalist, and they lived with the
couple on their Everingham estates. Their lands were passed down through
several subsequent generations of the family until 1702 when the Sherburne
estates then passed to Mary, the young wife of Thomas Howard, 8th Duke
of Norfolk, ensuring that they would be, once and for all, into the
ownership of the Dukes of Norfolk. Stoneyhurst Hall is now a Roman Catholic
college.

Shrigley originally
spelled ” Shriggelegge” in 1285 was derived from the Old
Englich “scric” and “leah”. Scric is believed
to refer to the grey backed shrike that was found in the woodland
clearings in the Peak District of Pott Shrigley. Also sometimes spelled
Shriggley. The Manor of Shrigley was first given to Horswin, Lord
of the Manor and great-nephew of William the Conqueror. Horswin and
his 5 brothers all had lands and titles given to them as part of the
new Norman establishment after the Conquest of 1066, and these lands
in the County of Cheshire were all held personally by William the
Conqueror’s family, the Macclesfield Forest was itself a Royal hunting
forest. Shrigley hall, now an hotel, dates back over five centuries
and was originally home to the Downes family until it was sold to
William Turner, High Sheriff of Cheshire in 1821. Historically a private
family house, Shrigley Hall opened as a hotel in 1989 and was carefully
restored to its original beauty. The hotel sits high above the estate
on the edge of the Peak District National Park and has exceptional
views. See also:
Downes family.

The Shuttleworth
Family of Gawthorpe

The Shuttleworths
were for several centuries an influential land-owning family in the
Burnley area whose wealth came from wool weaving. They lived at Gawthorpe
Hall, their family seat for some 400 hundred years and their estates
date back to medieval times. The family name reflects a connection
with the old woollen weaving tradition of the district, probably being
derived from the old English word “schotil” (“shuttle”),
a device still in evidence three times on the family Coat-of-Arms.
The Shuttleworths numbered Charlotte Bronte (1816-1855) as a family
friend – she spent some time as a guest at Gawthorpe. Gawthorpe Hall
is situated in Padiham on the edge of the Pennine Hills, standing
in its own secluded wooded grounds on the banks of the river Calder.
It began life as a 14th century so-called ‘pele’ tower, built
as a defence against the invading Scots. Then, sometime between 1600
– 1605 for Sir Richard Shuttleworth, a wealthy Elizabethan barrister.
Nowadays it is a compact three-storey largely Jacobean house.
One of the family’s most celebrated members was Colonel Richard Shuttleworth
(1587-1669). He was twice made High Sheriff of Lancashire, Member
of Parliament for Preston and commander of the Parliamentarian Army
of the Blackburn Hundred during the Civil Wars of 1642-49. After his
death Gawthorpe was not occupied by a member of the family for 150
years, but several ‘caretaker’ occupants looked after the estate.
It was not until the 1850s that the Hall would see the family’s return,
when Sir James Kay Shuttleworth, the great Victorian reformer, commissioned
Sir Charles Barry to carry out restoration and improvements to the
house. More recently, in view of the exorbitant cost of upkeep of
the Hall, Lord Charles Shuttleworth left Gawthorpe and moved to live
at Leck Hall near Kirby Lonsdale in 1953. Today the Hall is a National
Craft Centre, thanks initially to donations given by the Hon. Rachel
Kay-Shuttleworth (1886-1967) in the 1960s – she was the last of the
family to live at Gawthorpe Hall. Her particular skills in the art
of embroidery and lacemaking and the extensive collection she made
have formed the basis of the nationally important textile collection
that she formed. The Hall is now looked after by the National Trust
and is leased to Lancashire County Council who partly let it as a
College of Further Education. Lord Shuttleworth is currently the Lord
Lieutenant of Lancashire.

The family branches
of the Staffords and de Staffords of Botham and Eyam are numerous
and are widely spread over many English counties, though strictly
speaking, as a predominantly Derbyshire family, their place in this
website is arguable, though on account of their Mellor connection
they have been included here as a courtesy.
They trace their certain history back as far as Robert de Teoni,
born in Rouen in Normandy in 1039, who was a standard bearer and cousin
of William the Conqueror at the Battle of Hastings in 1066. He was
created First Baron de Stafford for services to the Conqueror. It
is also likely that the family ancestry may trace back even earlier
to one Sviedi Svidrasson, born in 675 AD at Maere in Norway. Generations
of the de Staffords were subsequently born at Stafford Castle (in
Staffordshire) and in the 11th and 12th centuries several were made
Sheriffs of Staffordshire. By 1480 the ‘de Stafford’ surname had been
dropped in favour of, simply, ‘Stafford’. Botham Hall in the township
of Mellor, about 8 miles southwest of Glossop, probably came into
the possession of William de Stafford in 1380 through his marriage
to its co-heiress, Margaret de Mellor, daughter of Roger de Mellor.
The Botham estate was of modest size, and there are many gaps in the
history of the family. While Botham was one of the Stafford’s traditional
country seats, the other branch at Eyam in Derbyshire probably began
around 1200, when Richard de Stafford, a Templar to King Henry III,
set up a home at Eyam Hall. Richard had been given the land by Sir
Eustace de Thorstein, Lord of the Manor of Eyam, in gratitude for
services rendered. Eyam stayed in possession of the family until the
16th century when it passed by marriage into the Bradshaw family and
was renamed Bradshaw Hall. The Staffords, largely through marriage,
acquired much property and lands over the years, eventually owning
nearly all the property in the townships of Eyam, Foolow and the hamlet
of Bretton, comprising many hundreds of acres. They were also lords
and sole owners of the two manors of Calver and Rowland. In 1787 Botham
Hall was purchased by
Samuel
Oldknow
, the celebrated mill owner and cotton manufacturer of
Mellor (Marple).

We
are indebted to Geoffrey
Stafford
for supplying a detailed genealogy of his family, from
which this extract was taken.

The Standishes
of Lancashire

The start of the old Lancashire family
of Standish came into being shortly after the Norman Conquest, when
the Bussel family acquired the two adjacent villages of Stanedis and
Longetre, (now known as Standish and Langtree) as gifts from a grateful
William the Conqueror. Later, an elder daughter of the family, Juliana,
married Radulphus de Stanedis, who took the name “de Standish”.
The family held the unbroken Lordship of the Manor of Standish over
the following seven centuries (1220-1920). Later the name was simplified
to Standish. The country seat of the family is at Standish Hall, which
was first built on its present site in 1574 by Edward Standish. The
family of Standish held extensive lands in Lancashire, including coal
mining rights over their lands in Adlington, near Macclesfield. In 1840
Sir Thomas Standish of Duxbury is reported to have sold a coal mine
in Duxbury for £8,000. Henry Noailles Widdrington Standish, the
last Lord of the Manor, died without any heir at Contreville in France
and the house of Standish came to an end.

The Stanleys were
one of the great families of Lancashire whose main houses were at
Knowsley (now in Merseyside) and Lathom in south-west Lancashire between
Liverpool and Ormskirk. The family name derives from Adam de Stanley
(1125-1200) who became Lord of the Manor of Stanley in Staffordshire,
close to the Cheshire border. They also came to own extensive lands
in the Isle of man and, in 1405, Sir John Stanley became First Lord
of Man. The Stanleys had providentially joined the winning side during
the Wars of the Roses and in 1485, Sir John had joined Henry of Lancaster
against Richard III, and thereafter received several more estates
in Cheshire in payment for his loyalty and support to the new king.
In 1408 he was made Lord Lieutenant of Ireland. Eventually they were
to hold extensive lands in Lancashire including Huyton, Prescott,
Winwick and
Ashton-in-Makerfield
(now part of Wigan Metropolitan Borough), as well as being made Earls
of Derby.

The Starkie
Family of Huntroyde

The Starkies originally
came from Barnton in Cheshire. It is recorded that in 1465, Edmund,
son of William Starkie of Barnton, married Elizabeth, the daughter
and heiress of John de Simonstone whose family had held land in Simonstone
since 1230. Already a powerful and influential family, it was Roger
Nowell Starkie who presided at the trial of the so-called ‘Lancashire
witches’ at Lancaster in 1612. The Starkies were sufficiently wealthy
to provide arms for the local militia in 1574, and Edmund Starkie
was summoned by the Queen’s Council to lend money to Elizabeth I to
defend the country against the threat of the Spanish Armada in 1588.
Edmund was the original builder of the family’s country seat at Huntroyde.
His grandson, John (1584 – 1665) inherited the Huntroyde estate in
1618 and went on to become one of the Chief Justices of the Peace
in Lancashire, and in 1633 he was appointed Sheriff of Lancaster.
John’s eldest son Nicholas, a captain in the Parliamentary army, was
killed at the siege of
Hoghton Tower
in 1643. During the Commonwealth period John Starkie was also appointed
to the committee responsible for the confiscation and disposal of
former Royalist lands.
Later, through marriage, the house at Hall
i’ th’ Wood
in Bolton, passed into the ownership of the Starkie
family. Other inheritances and shrewd purchases added Simonstone,
Shuttleworth Hall in Hapton, lands in Osbaldeston and Salesbury, property
at Heaton near Horwich, and Westhoughton, estates in Pendle, Mearly,
Pendleton and Heyhouses to be added to the Starkie family wealth and
holdings. By the end of the 19th century, the Starkies were the owners
of nearly 9,000 acres of land in north-east and central Lancashire.
Nicholas Le Gendre Starkie (1799 -1865) was Member of Parliament for
Pontefract from 1826 -32, but was also a prominent Freemason, being
Provincial Grand Master for the Western Division of Lancashire. Well
known and respected philanthropists, later family members donated
churches in Padiham, Clowbridge, Higham and Hapton. In more recent
times, Edmund Starkie (1871 -1958) who served as Captain in the Boer
War, with his wife, were prominent local promoters of the Red Cross
and St John’s Ambulance Brigade, and gave Huntroyde to be used as
a hospital for convalescent soldiers during the First World War. After
On his death in 1958, the estate passed to his nephew, Guy Le Gendre.
The house was partially demolished in 1969 and eventually sold in
1983.

The Stockports
of Stockport

Although the Sudell
(sometimes spelled ‘Sudel’) family came from lowly beginnings and
were of peasant stock and tradespeople, they have been associated
with the development of the Borough of Blackburn for more than 400
years. John Sudell, who held chantry lands at Oozebooth in 1548, is
the earliest member of whom any records are known, and a William Sudell
was living in Blackburn during the reign of Queen Elizabeth I. His
son was baptised at the parish church in September 1601. William Sudell
was elected Governor of Blackburn Grammar School in 1714. Around 1799
Henry Sudel, purchased the Woodfold estate and built Woodfold Hall
in Mellor which was to develop into an extensive estate, apparently
well stocked with deer and wildfowl. Several local estates were also
purchased and by 1820 Henry Sudell was a millionaire. However, ill-advised
speculation in continental and American markets led to major financial
losses and in 1827 he was declared bankrupt and the family left Woodfold
Hall to live at Ashley House near Bath , thus bring Sudell family
influence in Lancashire to an ignominious end.

The Talbot family
traces their origins back to Richard de Talbot, who is mentioned in
Domesday Book of 1086 as holding land from Walter Giffard, Earl of
Buckingham.
The unfortunate King Henry VI of the house of Lancaster is recorded
as having sought refuge from his enemies at Clitheroe and was betrayed
to Edward IV by the Talbots of Bashall and Salesbury, including Thomas
Talbot, son of Sir Edmund Talbot, together with his cousin John, to
whom Henry surrendered his sword. The Talbots were rewarded for their
work by King Edward, receiving all their costs and charges. Additionally,
Sir Thomas Talbot received the sum of £100, and a yearly pension
of £40, thereby identifying him as the prime mover in the capture
of the deposed King. It is recorded that later the Talbot family held
the Manor of Withnell (near Chorley) in Lancashire, when James Talbot
married Mary Parke. In 1783 two of John Talbot’s sons were educated
at the English College in Rome and were priests in England, one becoming
a Jesuit. Other Talbot family members lived in Preston. In 1813 William
Talbot founded the Talbot Schools at St Walburges, Preston. Bagganley
Hall, Chorley, was a one-time home of the Talbot family, rebuilt by
one John Parker 1633 and demolished in modern times prior to the building
of the M61 Motorway.

The Tatton family
first appeared in Northenden around 1297. In 1370 the family became
Lords of the Manor of Northenden and took control of the Wythenshawe
and Northenden districts. Robert de Tatton built their new home at
Wythenshawe Hall around 1540 and it was
to be the family home for fourteen generations of Tattons over the
next four centuries. The Family and the Hall withstood and survived
an abortive siege by Oliver Cromwell during
the Civil Wars. By 1926 the last member of the Tatton family died
and Wythenshawe Hall and the surrounding parkland was left to Manchester
Corporation.

<<
Previous
<< Back to Families Menu


Google
Search

Custom Search

 

Animated Papillon Graphics Butterfly Logo
Papillon Graphics

 

Copyright
© John Moss, Papillon Graphics AD 2013 Manchester, United Kingdom – all rights reserved.
This page last updated 21 Dec 10.