Manchester During the Civil War


Historic Families (3)

Alphabetical listing – continued…

The Duttons
of Tabley

Descended from
William Fitz-Nigel, who died without male heirs, the family passed
through marriage of the female side to the Duttons, Warburtons and
Hattons, and possibly the Leghs and the Daniels families. All these
were major ruling families of Cheshire throughout several centuries
right up to modern times. The township of Tabley was held by William
Fitz-Nigel in the time of William the Conqueror and is recorded as
thus in the Domesday Book of 1086.

The earliest known
record of the Duxbury family was established in the parish of Standish,
having originated near Chorley in Anglo-Saxon times. Various alternative
spellings of the surname include Dukesbury, Ducksbury, Dukesbery,
Deuxberry and Duxberry. The Duxbury surname probably deriving from
the Old English pre-7th Century personal name “Deownc” and
“byrig” (meaning a fort), hence “Deowue’s fort”
and the modern spelling dates back to the mid-16th Century. The first
recorded spelling of the family name, in 1549, is shown to be that
of Issabella Duckesbere, of Great Harwood in Bolton. Originally, one
Magnei de Duxbury’s acquired the land around 1135 AD. The influential
Duxbury family, whose country seat was at Duxbury Hall, grew to own
lands in Adlington, Standish and Chorley, as well as other parts of
Lancashire. However, during the so-called Banastre Rebellion of 1315
one Henry de Duxbury was imprisoned and most of his lands seized,
including the Manor of Duxbury, for his part in the Rebellion. This
rebellion had been closely associated with Standish Parish and was
led by Sir Adam Banastre, against Thomas, Earl of Lancaster.
Duxbury Manor eventually passed to the Standishes, the Mayhews. In
the late nineteenth century under Standish ownership the estate comprised
some 6,054 acres. The Carr family added 1,900 more acres in the mid-19th
century to create a large holding. In 1932 the Manor finally reverted
into the ownership of Chorley Corporation.

The Eatons (sometimes
‘de Eaton’ or ‘Eyton’) were a powerful family during the medieval
period and through intermarriage with other Cheshire families accrued
wealth and influence throughout the region.
Sometime during the early 14th century Sir Nicholas de Eaton married
one of the
de Stockport (sometimes
‘de Stokeport’) heiresses, thus tying the Eaton family into the continuing
history of Stockport. And, to demonstrate to the family’s long influence
and power in the township and the wider county of Cheshire, the coat
of arms of Stockport still bears the double-headed eagles from the
arms of the De Eaton family.
It is also recorded that In 1311 Nicholas de Eaton and his wife Joan,
(daughter and heir of Richard de Stockport), are mentioned as tenants
of Birkdale hall in Lancaster ( “A History of the County of
Lancaster” Volume 3. 1907).
In 1369 Isabel de Stockport (or de Eaton), heir to her brother Richard,
died childless and the next in succession through marriage was Sir
John Warren, son of Sir Edward Warren, the second husband of Cecily
de Eaton, and subsequently family descendants went on through the
Warren line. Around 1498
Thomas de Eaton married Anne of the prestigious Cheshire-based Vernon

The Egertons
of Tatton

A powerful and influential family,
both at national and county level. Sir Philip Egerton (d 1563) married
Eleanor Brereton, the daughter of Sir Randle Brereton of Malpas. Sir
Thomas Egerton (1540-161) was Chancellor of England and 1st Viscount
Francis Egerton, 3rd
Duke of Bridgewater, known as the ‘Canal Duke’ held extensive properties
and coal mines in Worsley and built the Bridgewater
. Maurice, the last Lord Egerton, died in 1958 leaving the
country seat at Tatton Hall and its extensive Park to the National Trust.
The 3rd Duke of Bridgewater died childless and bequeathed his canal-property
to Lord Francis Leveson Gower (who subsequently changed his name to
Egerton), who was made Earl of Ellesmere in 1846. In 1784 another Sir
Thomas Egerton, of Heaton Hall was made Baron Grey de Wilton, and later,
Earl of Wilton in 1801. Sir Thomas was responsible for the raising and
funding of the Royal Lancashire Volunteer Regiment and died in 1814.
His volunteers trained on Drill Field, located between High Bank (now
Nazareth House) and Sedgley Park.

The Ellesmeres
of Worsley

The Entwistles
of Entwistle

One of several
theories concerning the Entwistle family name has it as of Norman
French origin, and that the early family members had acquired their
lands as Norman Barons after the invasion in 1066. The name may be
derived from ‘Estouteville’ as some authorities suggest. In
any case, the Entwistles married into noble Norman families of the
time. Another explanation has it being from the Old English or Norse
origin – ‘twisle’ or ‘twisla’ meaning ‘a piece of land
at the confluence of two rivers’ – a geographical feature of the local
Entwistle landscape. The other portion of the name ‘Henn’ may have
derived from the water fowl that were found in the vicinity – but
this is very speculative. Many alternative spellings of the name have
existed in early medieval times – ‘Antwysell’, ‘Antwisel’, ‘Hennetwisel’,
‘Ennetwysel’ and ‘ Entwissell’.
The small village of Entwistle, consisting of around 1668 acres, is
named after the family who held these lands for many centuries. It
is located between the towns of Bolton, Darwen and Bury. It is surrounded
by the villages of Edgworth, Quarlton and Turton, and is on the main
railway line between Manchester and Blackburn.
The Entwistle township dates from the early 13th century, when it
was part of the Manor of Entwistle which was held by the Entwistle
Family. Their county seat was Entwistle Halland, originally built
around the year 1200. Its most famous family resident was Bertine
Entwistle, who is said to have been knighted by Henry V on the field
at Agincourt in 1415. The present Entwistle Hall was built in the
early 17th century. The Entwistle family also inherited the Castleton
Hall from Dorothy, daughter of Robert Holt, who married into the Entwistle
family in 1649.

First recorded
references are made to the ‘de Fazakerley’ family (infrequently spelled
‘Fazakerleigh’) in 1276. Later, in 1412, it is recorded that Robert
de Fazakerley, who had married Ellen de Walton, arrived at the Manor
of Walton, accompanied by a sizeable armed contingent, to dispossess
his new father-in-law, John de Walton, of all the goods and chattels
in lieu of the dowry which had not, apparently been paid. In the event,
the dispute was not settled until 1426, when a third part of the manor
was awarded to Robert de Fazakerley and Ellen as her belated marriage
The Fazakerleys were Roman Catholics and supported the Royalist cause
during the English Civil Wars, and paid dearly for their convictions.The
possessions of both Nicholas Fazakerley and his father Robert Fazakerley
of Walton, who were both killed during these wars, were confiscated
by parliament after the war and sold. The posthumous charge was that
of High Treason.
Many members of the Fazakerley family distinguished themselves over
the years. Included amongst them were Thomas de Fazakerleigh who became
the Coroner for Lancashire in 1379 and John Fazakerley who was Governor
of the Isle of Man from 1418 to 1422. At least two members of the
family were Mayors of Liverpool, including John de Fazakerley in 1428
and Roger Fazakerley in 1530.
Sir Henry Fazakerley who died in 1531 is recorded in a brass plaque
as having been a priest at the Church of St Mary the Virgin in Drayton
Beauchamp. The grave of William Fazakerley of Kirkby, who died in
1600 and is buried at St Mary’s Church in Walton, is claimed to be
the oldest surviving grave in Walton. Nicholas Fazakerley, born in
Prescott in 1682, was the Member of Parliament for Preston from 1732
to 1767. John Nicholas Fazakerley (1787-1852) was the MP for Great
Grimsby in 1818, for Lincoln in 1826, and for Peterborough from 1830
to 1841.
The family name is nowadays immortalised in the district of the same
name, (formerly in Lancashire, now in Merseyside) and by at least
2 local schools bearing the name Fazakerley. Up until 1850, High Street
in Prescott was known as Fazakerley Street.

<< Back to Families Menu


Custom Search


Animated Papillon Graphics Butterfly Logo
Papillon Graphics


© John Moss, Papillon Graphics AD 2013 Manchester, United Kingdom – all rights reserved.
This page last updated 17 Nov 11.