Manchester Family Names

Old Historic Families (1)

Families of the Northwest of England, Greater
Manchester, Cheshire & Lancashire

Many of the old families of Greater Manchester,
Lancashire and Cheshire can trace their ancestries back to the Norman
Conquest of 1066. Their names effectively echo the long history of
the region and are imprinted in districts and townships whose streets
and placenames record their passing.

Alphabetical Order:

The Acker family of Little Moreton, Congleton

An old Anglo-Saxon surname,
referring to a plot of arable land, deriving from the old English pre-7th
Century word “aecer”, meaning a ploughed field or cultivated
land, which became “acker” (or ‘acre’) in Middle English.
There are a number of spelling variations, including Acres, Ackers,
Acors, Akers, Akess and Akker. The first recorded spelling of the family
name is that of William del Acr’,1214, in the “Curia Regis Rolls
of Sussex”, during the reign of King John. A Coat of Arms granted
to the Ackers family is a silver shield with three gold acorns, husked
green, on a black bend, the Crest being a dove rising proper, in the
beak an acorn of the arms, and the Motto: “La Liberté”
One George Ackers (born 1788) owned Little Moreton Hall near Congleton,
Cheshire and his son, George Holland Ackers, was High Sheriff for the
County of Cheshire in 1852. The Ackers of Moreton Hall were landed gentry
who also built Christ Church, in Wheelock near Sandbach. There is also
an Ackers Crossing in the same area. James Ackers ( 1752 – 1824 ), described
as the ‘father of the silk trade’ in Manchester, built Lark Hill Mansion
on the site of what is now Salford Museum and Art Gallery. In 1792 he
was Borough Reeve to the City of Manchester, later Deputy Lieutenant
for Lancashire and in 1800 was appointed High Sheriff of Lancashire.
The Ackers also had a branch in Merseyside, where Ackers Hall was located
and lands were held in the surrounding districts and townships of Roby,
Huyton, Whiston, Prescot and Rainhill.

The Ainsworths of Halliwell

The Ainsworths were a family of bleachers who moved
into the Halliwell district of Bolton in 1739 and leased surrounding
estate lands from Captain Roger Dewhurst. Later they purchased other
lands in Halliwell and in 1801 bought
for £26,000. They were to become extremely wealthy
and influential in the area, in fact, the head of the family, Peter
Ainsworth, was known locally as the “opulent bleacher”.
The district of Ainsworth and the Ainsworth Road are named after the
family. Richard Ainsworth was largely responsible for the building
of Jubilee School, and his father, John Horrocks Ainsworth was instrumental
in building Saint Peters and Saint Paul’s churches as well as many
farms and other buildings in Halliwell.

The Andertons of Lostock

In 1542 James Anderton was born at Clayton Hall,
He was to become a lawyer at London’s Gray’s Inn by the age of 20,
and had built a house at Lostock Hall near Bolton. His cousin was
reputed to be a farmer to Elizabeth I. Despite this, the family were
devout Catholics – several of their number had taken religious orders
at a time when such things were dangerous and potentially treasonous
acts. Out of favour for their support of Catholic Stuarts, much of
their lands were sold to the Marlboroughs and the Molyneux families
about during the seventeenth century and the family was ultimately
reduced to poverty.

The family name is probably
of Norse origin and almost certainly arrived with the Normans in 1066.
The name has been spelled variously as Anthrobus, Antrobuss and Entrobus.
Early records of the name mention Edward Antrobus who was recorded in
the County of Yorkshire in 1185, and another Edward Antrobus who appears
in Lancashire in 1273. Either way, this is an ancient Cheshire family
but their principal seat, Antrobus Hall. The village of Antrobus lies
south of Lymm, in the parish of Great Budworth in Cheshire. The family
name is recorded in the Domesday Book as Entrebus , apparently
from an Old Norse personal name Andri and buski , meaning
a or thicket. An alternative derivation of the name is the Norman-French
Entre-bois which can be interpreted as ‘within the woods’. The
name of Antrobus still is marked by the Village Hall in Northwich. The
first recording of the present spelling of the family name is that of
Joseph Antrobus, (who was married to Ann Parr), which was dated 27th
August 1572 in Frodsham, Cheshire, during the reign of Queen Elizabeth
I. Branches of the family also emigrated to America, with Joan Antrobus
settling in Massachusetts in 1635.

The Arden family, (sometimes called Ardern, Arderne
or Harden), trace their ancestry back to the 12th century, and have
held substantial lands and properties throughout Cheshire and Lancashire
since medieval times. The Ardernes originally moved to Chester from
Warwickshire, when Sir John de Arderne of Alvanley married Joan de
Stokeport, daughter of Richard de Stokeport in 1326. William Shakespeare’s
mother also came from the Warwickshire branch of this family. Their
history in Cheshire was one of intermarriage with other county families,
particularly the Davenports, the Leghs and the Dones. The family’s
Cheshire seats and estates were in Alvanley, Bredbury, Harden, Tarporley,
and Utkinton, as well as lands in Haughton, Lancashire.
Perhaps the most celebrated member of the family was Richard Pepper
Arderne, born in 1745, a brilliant lawyer, successful politician and
a friend of Prime Minister, William Pitt. Richard became Attorney
General, was knighted in 1788 was created Baron Alvanley of Alvanley
in 1801.
The Cheshire and Chester Archives and Local Studies Unit has papers
dating from the 13th to the 19th century relating to Arden family
deeds, rentals, accounts, estate and family papers.
Underbank Hall in Stockport, built in late 15th to early 16th Century,
was the town house of the Arderne family and remained so until it
was sold by Lord Alveney in 1823. It was eventually purchased by a
banking company and serves as a banking hall to this day. In 1825
the Bredbury estate also had to be sold to pay off family debts. The
last male members of the family line were William Arderne, personal
friend of the Prince Regent, who died in 1849, and his brother Richard,
who held the title Baron until his death in 1857.

The Baguley Family of Worsley

The Baguley family name comes from the old district
Baggiley in Cheshire, which during the 11th century was held by Hamon
Massy, created Baron of Durham Massy, a grant from William the Conqueror
in respect of his support in the conquest of Britain. In the early
13th century, during the reign of King John, a Massy family descendant,
one Matthew Massy of Bromhale (Bramhall), was given lands in Baggiley,
(in present day Wythenshawe), and his heirs adopted the name Baggiley,
later to be known as Baguley. Later, Sir William de Baggiley was knighted
by King Edward I (known as Long Shanks), and married one of the King’s
daughters, possibly Lucy Corona, though some have it as Isabel. This
saw the Baguley family well promoted in the aristocracy of England.
They owned the salt mines in Cheshire and a mill for processing which
over time made them a wealthy and influential family. Sir William
built Baguley Hall sometime around 1320 and was Lord of the Manor
as well as possessing other manors in Hyde and Levenshulme. Over time,
through marriage, these lands passed to Sir John Leigh of Booth in
1353 and they remained in the Leigh family until the late seventeenth
century, when the line terminated in Edward Leigh. It finally passed
into the hands of the Tattons in 1825 when it was combined with other
lands belonging to that family. An effigy of Sir William Baggiley
can be seen in St Mary’s Church in Bowdon. The family name is marked
by the district of Baguley in South Manchester. Bigalow, a fairly
common name in many old colonial countries is a derivation of the
family name Baggiley .

The Manor of Barlow in Chorlton-cum-Hardy,
Manchester, was long held by a family who adopted that surname, with
one Thomas de Barlow having been in residence there from about 1200.
By 1389 Roger de Barlow was in possession not only of lands in Barlow,
but others in Chorlton, Hardy, and Withington.
The Barlows had built Barlow Hall, as well as a small half-timbered
chapel, on lands which they had held in the area since the 13th century.
In 1567 Alexander Barlow was Lord of the Manor, and unfortunately
for him, was among many local Manchester Catholics who fell foul of
the religious changes made by Queen Elizabeth I, was committed to
prison and died in custody on 24 August 1584.
A notable member of the family was Edward Barlow, later known as Saint
Ambrose Barlow,
a famous local Catholic martyr. Ambrose Barlow,
who had done missionary work in Lancashire, was several times imprisoned,
and was finally executed for his priesthood on the instructions of
Parliament on 10 September 1641 at Lancaster.
In 1773 the family estates were sold and Barlow Hall has since then
remained the property of the Egerton family of Tatton. In March 1879
a fire broke out at Barlow Hall in and its west wing was almost entirely
destroyed. All trace of the original great hall were lost and a great
deal of damage done to other parts of the building. The Barlow family
name is still remembered by Barlow Moor Road which runs east-west
through much of the district. Barlow Hall is now a golf club house!

The Bartons of Smithills

In 1485 Cecily Radclyffe married her second cousin
John Barton, and thereby came into ownership of
in Bolton. The Barton
family extended considerable influence over the affairs of the Smithills
Deane district of Bolton over several centuries. In 1516 John gave
the lands to his young son Andrew, who had married Agnes. This couple
lived at the Hall as did their descendants. Finally, Grace, (the only
daughter and heir of Thomas Barton and last generation of the family),
married Henry, first Lord Viscount Fauconberg, whose descendants sold
the manor in 1721 to the Byron family of Manchester. Sir Roger Barton
had been a celebrated magistrate in the Bolton district in the mid-16th
century renowned for the burning of heretic cleric George March.

The Baskervyles of Chelford & Goostry

The Baskervyle (Baskerville) Family lived at Baskerville
Hall near Chelford – Sir John Baskervyle had acquired the manor house
and estate in 1266 from one Robert de Camville. The Hall is sometimes
known as “Old Withington” or Withington Hall, and the last
owner was the descendant of a Baskervyle who took the name of his
wife’s family – Glegg. The original Baskervyles (sometimes spelt Baskervyyles)
lived there from 1266, and according to the parish records of Prestbury
their family remained at “Ould Withington” till around 1570,
with a branch of the family, the Baskervyle-Gleggs, moving to Goostry
in Cheshire around 1737 onwards and on well into the 1890s.
The family held substantial lands in Cheshire over many centuries
including on the Wirral Peninsula. There is an account that during
the building of the Hooton to West Kirby branch railway in the 19th
century, the landowner, a member of the Baskervyle-Glegg family insisted
upon a station being built at Thurstaston, much against the railway
company’s wishes.
In 1906 John Baskervyle-Glegg of Withington Hall and Egerton Leigh
of Joderell Hall are joint Lords of the Manor of Goostry. Both of
these families are listed in the 1937 edition of “Burke’s Landed
Gentry”. The last Withington Hall on the site, thought to have
been built around 1790, was demolished in 1958.
Sometime around 1865, Lucy Baskervyle Glegg of Withington Hall, was
married to the son of the Third Viscount St. Vincent of Norton Disney
in Lincolnshire and Sutton-in-Derwant in Yorkshire.
In more modern times, during the mid-1950s a John Baskervyle-Glegg
is known to have attended Rugby School. Another celebrated John Baskervyle-Gregg
played in the England Cricket team as a member of the Combined Services
in 1962. There are other military connections. More recently, the
year 2000 Edition of the Royal Horticultural Society’s yearbook “The
Garden” contained a chapter entitled “A Rector’s
Pastoral – Adam’s Apples” by Diana Baskervyle-Glegg. The
Sparkford, branch of the Royal British Legion, near Yeovil in Somerset,
currently has a John Baskervyle-Glegg as its President.

The Birch family are best remembered for Birch
Hall and Birchfields Park in Rusholme. Birch Hall was the family’s
property. The Birches sided with the Parliamentarian faction in the
English Civil War and were principal agents in securing Manchester
against the Earl of Derby. In 1689 John Birch, of Birch Hall, Manchester,
was the High Sheriff of Lancashire.

The Bold family, of the Lancashire township bearing
the same name, trace their origins back to Anglo-Saxon times before
the Norman Conquest of 1066. The earliest known record mentions a
William de Bold in 1154, but it is thought that the foundations Bold
Hall (old hall) were laid well before that.
It was in 1402, that John de Bold was the garrison commander who defended
Caernarfon Castle against Owen Glendower. He was subsequently knighted,
made Sir Constable of the Castle and was granted 5000 acres at Bold.
In 1407 Sir John became the High Sheriff of Lancashire, and held the
post until his death in 1410, the first of six Bold family descendants
to hold that office. It was he who in 1406 had founded the Chantry,
which is now the site of Bold Chapel in St Luke’s, (formerly St Wilfrid’s)
Farnworth in Widnes. Later, his son Thomas de Bold fought alongside
King Henry V at Agincourt 1415.
By 1588 the Bold family held extensive lands in Lancashire, with estates
amounting to some 33,000 acres with 2,000 retainers helping maintain
them. Their estates extended as far as Buckinghamshire and Yorkshire,
and minor branches of the family also had holdings in Ireland.
In more recent times, in 1802 Jonas Bold became the Lord Mayor of
Liverpool and Bold Street in that city is named after him.
In 1829 Sir Henry Bold-Hoghton, also High Sheriff of Lancashire, married
Dorothea Patten-Bold the daughter of Peter Patten-Bold.
The family also has royal connections, in the personage of Mary Patten-Bold
(1795-1824), daughter of Peter Patten-Bold and Mary Patten-Bold (nee
Parker). Mary was married to Prince Sapieha (Ostafi Eustace Sapieha
Rozanski), of Dereczym in the Duchy of Lithuania.
The Bold family are represented in the Knowsley Coat of Arms, the
Halton Coat of Arms and the old St Helens Coat of Arms.

We are indebted to Gordon Bold for providing
us with details of the Bold Family.

The Booth family of Dunham Massey
trace their ancestry back to early medieval times when their name appears
in several different forms, including Bouth, Booths and Bothe. Around
1275 William de Booths had married Sibel, daughter of Sir Ralph de
in 1474 John Legh of Booths
was married to Raufe Egerton,
and by Tudor times, the family had married into most of the neighbouring
aristocratic families. For example, Sir William Booth (1540-1579) married
Elizabeth Warburton of Arley,
and yet another George Booth (1515-1543) was married to Elizabeth de
One daughter of the family also married into the Grey family – it was
of that same family that the unfortunate Lady Jane Grey came, before
she fell prey to Henry VIII’s axeman. Thus the family extended their
influence and power base in the county.
Certainly the Booths held many lands in the area around this time, as
evidenced in the House of Commons Journal of the 30th July 1660
which passed ” …a Bill to enable Sir George Booth Baronet
to lease and sell Lands, for Payment of his Debts, and raising Portions
for Advancement of his younger Children”.
This same Sir George Booth had fought for the Parliamentarian cause
during the First Civil War and was elected MP for Cheshire in May 1645.
He was also elected to the First Protectorate Parliament in 1654 and
was commissioned to assist the Major-Generals in Cheshire. However,
he appears to have fallen out of favour when he described them as ‘Cromwell’s
hangmen’ and by 1659 was plotting with Royalists to bring about the
He headed an abortive insurrection during the summer of 1659, which
was easily defeated, Booth was arrested and briefly imprisoned in the
Tower of London but was soon released on bail.
In April 1660, Booth was elected to the Convention Parliament. He was
one of twelve MPs appointed to convey Parliament’s invitation to Charles
II to return as King. It was also granted “That the Sum of Ten
thousand Pounds be conferred on Sir George Booth Baronet, as a Mark
of Respect unto him, for his eminent Services and great Sufferings for
the Publick” . At the King’s coronation in April 1661, Booth
was made Lord Delamere. In the 18th century the Booths were also created
Earls of Warrington.
It is recorded that the Dunham Massey deer park had existed in 1362
and it is known that the moat, which today partly survives as the ornamental
lake, once surrounded the old Manor House, which was possibly a Norman
motte and bailey castle before then.
The last owner of the house and estate at Dunham Massey was the Earl
of Stamford, and since 1976 they have been National Trust Property.

<< Back
to Families Menu


Google Search

Custom Search

Hosting by

Animated Papillon Graphics Butterfly Logo
Papillon Graphics


Copyright © John Moss, Papillon Graphics
AD 2013 Manchester, United Kingdom – all rights reserved.
This page last updated 13 Jan 13.