Manchester UK Districts


Code of Ethics
Contact Papillon Graphics
Privacy Policy
Site Map


A District of South Manchester

The district of
Withington was mentioned in the Domesday survey of 1086 as little
more than a “wasteland” (ie. unoccupied or unused for pasture
or agriculture). It was later recorded in the 12th century, and its
name probably means “a settlement or farmstead near a willow
wood” , (a withy was an old name for a willow branch
or twig). In recent times it has been merged with its neighbouring
district of Ladybarn, and the two are now effectively indivisible
from each other. Withington & Ladybarn were incorporated into
the City of Manchester in 1904. The district is bounded by Derby Road,
Lapwing Lane, Kingsway and Palatine Road and Wilmslow Road runs north-south
through its centre. Fallowfield lies
to its north and Didsbury abuts its southern
By the early
13th century the district had grown to include Withington, Didsbury,
Burnage, Moss
and Denton and
was granted to the son of one Ingrith of Wythington and the Abbey
of Our Lady; the tithe barn ( tithes or one-tenths were a commonly
levied 10% tax to support religious institutions) built for the upkeep
of the Abbey became known as Our Lady’s barn – hence Ladybarn. Much
of modern Mauldeth Road was formerly Ladybarn Lane, where the barn
once stood.
Over the
century, ownership passed from the Wythingtons to the Longfords and
then to the Mosleys, the
latter being successful wool merchants and whose ancestors became
Lord of the Manor of Manchester. Later, the Egertons bought the land,
by which time areas like Fallowfield and Heaton Norris had already
been separated from the estate; the Mosleys held the land until its
incorporation into Manchester.
actually held its own courts until the mid 19th century. Its distance
from central Manchester meant that it escaped the Industrial
largely intact and it is still predominantly a residential
area of large Victorian houses, apart from the shopping centre on
either side of Wilmslow Road. By the beginning of the 20th century
it was still a rural and agricultural area with a profusion of farms
and small holdings. The 20th century, however, was to see a rapid
population explosion and the building of many surrounding housing
estates eventually obliterated the farms that were Withington’s most
distinctive features.
The 19th
century saw the arrival of a transport system in the nature of horse
drawn trams which terminated at Lapwing Lane, later to be replaced
by an electric tram service in 1902. The railway had arrived earlier
and there was a station in Lapwing Lane.
Modern Withington
is best known for its two important hospitals, Withington Hospital
and the Christie Hospital, the later known world-wide for its pioneering
work in the treatment of cancer.
Actor Robert
was born in Withington in 1905.

See also:

We have made reference to several sources in compiling this web page,
but must make special mention of the Breedon Books’ “Illustrated
History of Manchester’s Suburbs” by Glynis Cooper, of which we
made particular use. Information about this book can be found on our
Books About Manchester webpage.


Custom Search


<< Return
to: Suburban Districts of Manchester

Animated Papillon Graphics Butterfly Logo
Papillon Graphics


Copyright © Gloria Moss, Papillon Graphics AD 2013 Manchester, United Kingdom – all
rights reserved.
This page last updated 14 Nov 11.