Manchester UK Districts

Crumpsall


Districts
of Manchester

The name Crumpsall
derives from old English and means a “crooked piece of land beside
a river”. The original village of Crumpsall Green actually does
lie on an oxbow bend in the River Irk. This valley often flooded and
the resultant marshland was notoriously difficult to farm. It was
known in the 13th century as Curmisole and two centuries later
as Cromshall . Originally it formed part of Blackley Forest.
The district was incorporated into Manchester in 1890. Cheetham Hill
Road/Bury Old Road border its western edge and Middleton Road runs
through it on an east-west axis.
In 1580
the local philanthropist Sir
Humphrey Chetham
was born at Crumpsall Hall – he rose to become
High Sheriff of Lancashire and bequeathed his fortune to the establishment
of a boys’ school adjacent to Manchester
Cathedral
– this was to become Chethams Hospital School (Now Chethams
Library
and Music School).
By the mid-19th
century Crumpsall was still a pleasant rural village that stood well
clear of Manchester sprawl and industrialisation. However, by the
end of the century, expanding building schemes to house Manchester
mill workers had seen the population of the district more than double.
This influx required the building of new schools, churches and other
facilities. Eventually, light industries also moved into the district,
including a Barrel making Works, a Biscuit Factory, Printing Works
and Chemical Works.
The early
20th century saw the arrival of many Jewish immigrants in the district
who had fled the various pogroms that ravaged Europe at that time.
In the 1920s, one local Jewish businessman, Abraham Moss, was to fund
the founding of King David High School on Eaton Road. His name is
still commemorated in the Abraham Moss Centre, a large modern education
and community college on the southern border of the district.
Crumpsall
is still a very Victorian suburb, with its large houses now mainly
converted into flats and apartments at the cheaper end of the price
range, and occupied mostly by students and nurses from the North Manchester
Hospital nearby in Delauneys Road. Its former prettiness has evidently
seen better times and it now looks rather shabby at times, though
efforts are being made proactively to raise its profile and to improve
its image.

See also:

NOTE:
We have made reference to several sources in compiling this web page,
but must make special mention of the Breedon Books’ “Illustrated
History of Manchester’s Suburbs” by Glynis Cooper, of which we
made particular use. Information about this book can be found on our
Books About Manchester webpage.


Google
Search

Custom Search

<< Return
to: Suburban Districts of Manchester

Animated Papillon Graphics Butterfly Logo
Papillon Graphics

 

Copyright © Gloria Moss, Papillon Graphics AD 2013 Manchester, United Kingdom – all
rights reserved.
This page last updated 10 Mar 09.