Manchester UK Districts

Chorlton


Districts
of Manchester

Chorlton-cum-Hardy
is derived from the old Saxon name ‘Coerlatun-cum-Ard-Eea’,
meaning “the dwelling (or town) of the coerls by trees and near
water”. Coerl was the Saxon word for a freeman (often
spelt churls or chorls – hence to be churlish ).
Its relative distance from central Manchester ensured that it escaped
the excessive industrialisation that more inner districts suffered,
and to this day it has retained some of its rural nature, being on
the edge of the River Mersey – here still survives a pub called “Jackson’s
Boat” down Hardy Lane where there was once a ferry across the
Mersey. Chorlton Green in particular still retains much of its Victorian
character and the “Horse & Jockey” pub remains a popular
riverside venue for visitors and locals alike.
Southern Cemetery also lies within its boundaries and is Manchester’s
largest burial ground. Many local celebrities are buried here, including
Sir Matt Busby, the notable
manager of Manchester United
Football Club
.
In 1908 Chorltonville was created as a so-called “garden estate”
with pleasant comfortable houses and has since become a popular and
much sought after place to live – far enough from central Manchester
to escape from work yet close enough for convenient commuting.
Two Major houses were to be found in Chorlton – Hough End Hall and
Barlow Hall. Hough End Hall, built by Nicholas
Mosley
in 1596. The Mosleys were a most influential Mancunian
family, and Nicholas Mosley became Lord of the Manor of Manchester
and was subsequently knighted by Queen Elizabeth I. The Mosley (originally
Moseley ) family dominated much of regional history for several
centuries and Mosley Street in Manchester is named after them. The
Hall was purchased by the Egerton
family in the early 18th century. Later, some of the lands of the
estate was given to house Barlow Moor Aerodrome and today is the headquarters
for Police horse and dog training in Manchester.
The Barlows
had built Barlow Hall, as well as a small half-timbered chapel, on
lands which they had held in the area since the 13th century. This
land was also bought by the Egertons in the 18th century. A notable
member of the family was Edward Barlow, later known as Saint
Ambrose Barlow
, a famous local Catholic martyr. Their family name
is also immortalised in Barlow Moor Road which runs east-west through
much of the district. Barlow Hall is now a golf club house!
As late
as the 1880s, Chorlton still had many old black and white thatched
timbered buildings which had always defined its particular style and
elegance. Most have now gone and the district is now mainly Victorian
and Edwardian in style with numerous large houses, many of which are
converted into flats and apartments. There is also a large student
population attracted no doubt by its thriving and diverse shopping
centre.

See also
:

NOTE:
We have made reference to several sources in compiling this web page,
but must make special mention of the Breedon Books’ “Illustrated
History of Manchester’s Suburbs” by Glynis Cooper, of which we
made particular use. Information about this book can be found on our
Books About Manchester webpage.


Google
Search

Custom Search

<< Return
to: Suburban Districts of Manchester

Animated Papillon Graphics Butterfly Logo
Papillon Graphics

 

Copyright © Gloria Moss, Papillon Graphics AD 2013 Manchester, United Kingdom – all
rights reserved.
This page last updated 10 Mar 09.