Samuel Crompton is perhaps best known as the Bolton born inventor
of the famous “spinning mule” which was to play such an important
role in the 18th and 19th century development of Manchester’s
textile industry and in the foundation of mass-production techniques
which were pioneered here.
Born on 3rd December 1753 at Firwood Fold, a quaint thatched
cottage in Bolton, quietly tucked away in a modest and hidden
alley (or “fold”), just 100 yards from Crompton Way, one of
Bolton’s busiest thoroughfares. Firwood Fold is now privately
owned, but a wall plaque marks Crompton’s birthplace. Although
a great inventor, and the results of his work made fortunes
for those who used them, Crompton himself was no businessman,
and he failed to patent his invention, selling his invention
for only �60, and he was to die in poverty.
There are models of his Mule at Hall I’ Th’ Wood, the nearby
historic house where he and his family lived for 20 years, and
where the Mule was invented.
It was believed until recently that the only surviving genuine
production model of Crompton’s Mule was to be found in The Bolton
Museum in Le Mans Crescent in Bolton town centre – however,
we have recently received an email from a Mr E Oddy, informing
us that this was
entirely correct. In Bramsche, Germany, near to where we live
is also a working “Mule” that was used in the then East Germany
up until 1988″.
Samuel Crompton died in 1827 and is buried in St Peter’s, Bolton’s
Parish Church. The monument to his memory was erected in Nelson
Square in Bolton town centre in 1862, having been paid for by
donations from textile engineering workers. The statue shows
Crompton, the dreamer, gazing into the distance, his head supported
on one arm. The violin, which he enjoyed playing, stands beside
Sir Richard Arkwright probably did more than any other to establish
the dominance of the cotton manufacturing industry in Manchester
and its surrounding townships. Born of poor parents in Preston,
he had very little education, and as a young man was apprenticed
to a local barber, after which he set up his own barber shop
in Bolton. His association with John Kay (see below), a local
clockmaker, encouraged him to take an interest in engineering
and mechanics. With the growing demand for yarn production,
he and Kay set about developing a machine which could spin yarns
very quickly and continuously – this resulted in the invention
of a revolutionary spinning frame. Increasing mechanisation
was greeted with a great deal of local hostility, as it threatened
jobs, and Arkwright was forced to move to Nottingham, where
he set about installing a horse-driven spinning mill.
Later he built another mill at Cromford in Derbyshire, where
in 1773 he was most successful in the production of cloth calicoes
– the first time it had been produced in England. It was this
Cromford mill which really set out the pattern for a factory
manufacturing system which was to catch on not only all over
Britain, but abroad as well. Although he patented the system,
it was plagued by constant infringements, and his ideas were
widely pirated, though this did not prevent him from making
a personal fortune.
In 1783 he built his first mill in Shude Hill, Manchester (on
the site of the present Miller Street), which was the first
to use steam power. There was great opposition and even threats
to his factories, though they were highly successful, and the
march of progress could not be halted – soon other manufacturers
copied his processes and systems, for they self-evidently were
good for business. He was made High Sheriff of the the County
of Derbyshire and in 1786 he was given the ultimate accolade
by being knighted by King George III.
In his later years he lived at Rock House opposite Cromford
Mill, though he began work on building a new house at Willersley
Castle in Derbyshire, but died a year before it was completed.
Sir William Fairbairn was one of Britain’s great 19th century
engineers, and was one of the primary forces in the development
and introduction of mechanised manufacturing processes during
the Industrial Revolution.
Born in Kelso, Roxburghshire, in Scotland, into a farm-working
family, he exhibited mechanical skills at a very young age.
Working, among other various things, as a bookkeeper, he eventually
became apprenticed as a young man to a millwright in Newcastle-upon-Tyne,
while avidly reading anything he could find on scientific matters,
a habit he continued throughout his life.
After completion of his apprenticeship, he took on many small
engineering commissions, broadening his knowledge and experience,
and eventually settled in Manchester in 1813 in the employment
of 2 local engineers, Adam Parkinson and Thomas Hewes, the latter
already a celebrated engineer. By 1817 he had established his
own partnership with James Lillie – the two produced advanced
mill machinery, which soon earned them the reputation of being
both innovative and forward looking. Many large contracts followed,
and his reputation grew, and in 1830 he was made a member of
the Institute of Civil Engineers.
Later, as a result of cotton speculation, his business took
a downturn, and he had to diversify into the building of ships.
This business later moved to Millwall where he continued to
build many great iron ships. As business picked up, his Manchester
works began producing steam boilers and engines. Several of
his inventions were patented, including a riveting machine.
Fairbairn was also a prolific bridge builder, with over a hundred
to his credit, the most famous being the tubular metal Menai
Bridge which joins the island of Anglesey to the mainland of
Wales near Bangor – a project in which he collaborated closely
with another great engineer, George Stephenson.
A frequent lecturer and writer on historical, scientific and
philosophical themes, his works were much published. He was
made President of the Manchester Literary and Philosophical
Society from 1855-1860. He was created a baronet in 1869. From
1840 he lived at the Polygon, in Ardwick, Manchester. A marble
statue of Fairbairn stands in Manchester
John Kay was born at Park, just North of Bury, in June 1704.
Details of his life are sketchy, but he is believed to have
spent some time in France before returning to his native Bury
where in 1730 he had patented a thread twisting machine. In
1733 he was to invent and introduce to the world his now-celebrated
“flying shuttle”. This, probably more than any other single
invention, was to make the Industrial Revolution possible.
Hitherto, weavers had to physically throw a shuttle loaded with
cotton from one side of the loom to another and then back again
between alternating threads – a long, laborious and consequently
inefficient process usually taking two men. Kay’s design was
to change that process forever – his flying shuttle moved from
one side of the loom to another by little more than a flick
of the wrist of one hand, and one man could fully operate a
loom adapted to accommodate the flying shuttle. Weaving output
more than doubled overnight, industrial mechanisation had begun,
and the factory mass production process had begun.
Although welcomed by textile manufacturers (who perceived it
as a means of increasing output and profits), Kay’s invention
was despised by textile workers who saw it as a threat to their
livelihood. His flying shuttle was eagerly taken up by woollen
manufacturers, though they were rarely so eager to pay their
bills and Kay constantly teetered on the edge of financial ruin.
Moreover, the fear of unemployment prompted a mob to storm Kay’s
property in 1753 and to ransack his house.
The invention of the flying shuttle caused many other problems
for Kay, who constantly found himself in court defending his
invention against its many illegal copiers. Heartbroken and
disillusioned, Kay fled and disappeared into oblivion.
It is thought that he died in France, a pauper around 1780.
Kay is celebrated in Bury as a local hero – Kay Gardens is named
after him, and there are several local pubs named “The Flying
George William Garrett was born in 1852 in Moss Side, Manchester,
where is father was the vicar of Christ Church. This would seem
to be a very unlikely origin for the clergyman who invented
the world’s first mechanically driven submarine. Garrett was
a gifted boy who had attended Manchester Grammar School, and
by the age of 17 he had already taught at the Mechanic’s Institute
and studied chemistry at Owens College (now the University of
Manchester). At the age of 25 his father made him a curate.
Garrett’s belief in steam as a motive force prompted him to
found the Garrett Submarine Navigation and Pneumataphore Company
in Manchester’s Deansgate in 1878 having raised £10,000
for the project.
With these funds he had arranged for the building of the 38
ton, 45 foot long “Resurgam” (meaning: “I shall
rise again”) at Birkenhead.
The submarine was launched in 1879, and soon after set sail
for Portsmouth with a crew of two, and a promise of further
funding by the Royal Navy if he succeeded in completing the
However, bad weather dogged the voyage, and, having moored for
shelter in Rhyl in North Wales for several weeks, Garrett impatiently
accepted a tow from an obliging steam yacht. Unfortunately,
the towing cable snapped and the submarine sank. Despite other
submarine projects that were to follow, particularly in Sweden
and Turkey, Garrett never managed to regain public confidence
in his ideas. Disenchanted, he emigrated to America and lost
all of what little money he still had in farming projects. He
died in poverty in the New York in 1902.
The wreck of the “Resurgam” was discovered in Colwyn
Bay in 1995, became the target for looters, and has subsequently
had a Preservation Order applied to it as a Historic Monument
by local authorities. Estimates for raising the wreck are around
£12 million, but eventually, it is hoped to raise the