In 1838 the original
City of Manchester included only the most central districts of Cheetham,
Beswick, Ardwick, Hulme and Chorlton-on-Medlock. Other districts were
incorporated at various dates over the following century, though not
all original district placenames were to survive annexation.
Bradford, Harpurhey and Rusholme.
1890: Crumpsall, Blackley & Moston, Newton Heath, Clayton, West
Gorton, Openshaw and Kirkmanshulme.
1903: Heaton Park.
Moss Side, Chorlton-cum-Hardy, Withington, Burnage and Didsbury.
Gorton and Levenshulme.
By Matthew Hyde,
Peter Portland & Aidan O'Rourke
ISBN 18977 62305, over 100 Illustrations, Two new Maps of Manchester
and the M60.
AMCD has just launched a new guide to the M60 Motorway by Photographer
Aidan O'Rourke (Eyewitness in Manchester) Matthew Hyde (Architectural
Historian at the Manchester Museum) and Peter Portland (local historian
also at the MAnchester Museum with the Alderley Edge website project