Manchester's Ten  Metropolitan Boroughs

SEARCH:

NAVIGATION:

ADMINISTRATION:

Gazetteer of Greater Manchester Placenames - 1


Districts & Townships of the Metropolitan County

An alphabetical listing of townships, Civil Parishes, Ecclesiastical Parishes, Boroughs, Rural and Urban Districts, localities, villages, counties and hamlets lying within, or formally within, the Greater Manchester Metropolitan County, including the origins of placenames. Much of this information was gathered from the Domesday Survey of 1086 and other subsequent records and from Greater Manchester County Record Office - for more information on the latter, visit the website at: http://www.gmcro.co.uk/

Select from Alphabetical listing:

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W

A

ABRAM: From the 12th century Old English " Adburgham " meaning "a homestead or enclosure belonging to a woman called Eadburh". This township used to be in Lancashire, and in the Ecclesiastical Parish of Wigan. In 1880 Abram Local Board of Health was established for the township. In 1894 the area became an Urban District and in 1974 it became part of Wigan Metropolitan Borough.

AFFETSIDE: A locality in the Bradshaw and Tottington townships of Bury.

AGECROFT: A district within the Pendlebury township of Salford.

AINSWORTH: From the Old English c12th century " Haineswrthe " meaning "Enclosure of a man called Aegen". This township used to be in Lancashire. In 1933 it became part of Radcliffe Urban District and was assumed into Bury Metropolitan Borough in 1974.

ALKRINGTON: A parish in Lancashire originally, and in Oldham Ecclesiastical Parish. In 1879 it came within the area of the commissioners for the improvement of Middleton and Tonge townships and in 1886 was assumed within the Middleton Borough - now in Rochdale Metropolitan Borough.

ALTRINCHAM: The name first appears as " Aldringeham " - probably meaning "Homestead of the Aldhere family". The town was given a charter by Hamon de Mersey sometime around 1290 but it had still not been recognised as a borough in the Municipal Corporations Act of 1835. Altrincham was then in Cheshire, and was in Bowdon Ecclesiastical Parish and part of the Bucklow Poor Law Union (which was known as Altrincham Union until 1895). In 1851 Altrincham Local Board of Health was established for the township and in 1894 the area of the Local Board became Altrincham Urban District. In 1920 parts of Carrington and Dunham Massey Civil Parishes were added to it. In 1936 parts of Urban Districts of Bowdon and Hale and the Civil Parishes of Dunham Massey and Timperley were added. In 1937 Altrincham Urban District became a Municipal Borough and in 1974 it became part of Trafford Metropolitan Borough, though locals still regard it as being in Cheshire.

ANCOATS: A locality in the City of Manchester township. See Ancoats - Main Entry.

APPLEY BRIDGE: Area largely in Wrightington but also in Shevington and Upholland. Name known to date from the 13th century as " Appelleie " - "a bridge near the apple tree wood or clearing". In Bolton Metropolitan Borough.

ARDWICK: The Civil Parish of Ardwick was in Lancashire, in Manchester Ecclesiastical Parish, and part of the Chorlton Poor Law Union between 1837 and 1915, and in Manchester Poor Law Union from 1915 to 1930. In 1838 it became part of the Borough of Manchester. Under the Divided Parishes Act of 1882 part of Chorlton upon Medlock township was added to Ardwick. See Ardwick - Main Entry.

ASHTON IN MAKERFIELD: From 1212 AD, " Eston " - usually meaning "a farmstead where ash trees grow", which is a later addition to the original " Macrefeld " of 1121, an old Celtic word meaning "wall" or "ruin". This township of Ashton in Makerfield, (also known as Ashton le Willows), was in Lancashire, in Winwick Ecclesiastical Parish and in the Wigan Poor Law Union. In 1872 Ashton in Makerfield Local Board of Health was established and in 1894 it became an Urban District. In 1933 part of Haydock Urban District was added to it. In 1974 the South Ward (including the Garswood and Downall Green areas) of the Urban District became part of St. Helens Metropolitan Borough in the Merseyside County; the remainder became part of Wigan Metropolitan Borough in the Greater Manchester County.

ASHTON UNDER LYNE: Known by 1160 AD as " Haistune ", and by 1305 as " Asshton under Lyme ". The Later part possibly derived from the old Celtic word "lyme" meaning "elm tree region" - this township was almost certainly originally part of the vast Lyme Park estate. Ashton Town was one of the ancient divisions of Ashton under Lyne township in Lancashire. It was in Ashton under Lyne Poor Law Union. In 1898 there was an exchange of areas with Dukinfield Urban District. In 1927 Hurst Urban District was added to the Borough In. 1935 parts of Hartshead were also added. Later, Waterloo, Alt, Bardsley and Little Moss Civil Parishes were added. In 1974 the Borough became part of Tameside Metropolitan Borough. Ashton township was also an ancient Ecclesiastical Parish, which had four divisions : Ashton Town, Audenshaw, Hartshead and Knott Lanes. These were sometimes referred to as townships though they did not have legal status as such. Fifteen "hamlets" are described in contemporary directories as acting for the maintenance of highways. In 1847 the township became the Borough of Ashton under Lyne. In 1857, part of the township was added to Stalybridge Borough, and in 1880 another part was added to Oldham Borough. Yet another part was added to Mossley Borough in 1885. Local Boards of Health were established for the following areas, Lees (a Board at first called Lees with Crossbank) in 1859, Hurst in 1861 and Audenshaw in 1874. In 1894 these became Lees, Hurst and Audenshaw Urban Districts. In 1894 the remainder of the township became Limehurst Rural District which was composed of Alt, Bardsley, Crossbank, Hartshead, Little Moss Waterloo and Woodhouses. Stalybridge Borough was wholly included in Cheshire in 1889, while the remainder of what had been Ashton under Lyne township continued to be in Lancashire. In 1974 Ashton became part of the Tameside Metropolitan Borough.

ASHTON UPON MERSEY: Known in 1408 simply as " Asshton ", probably originally meaning "town where ash trees grow". The "upon Mersey" (next to the River Mersey) affix came later to identify it from all other townships of that name. The parish of Ashton upon Mersey was originally in Cheshire, in Ashton upon Mersey Ecclesiastical Parish and in Bucklow Poor Law Union (which was called Altrincham Union) until 1895. In 1894 it became an Urban District. In 1908, as part of road widening for trams, a part of Sale Urban District was added and in 1930 it became part of Sale Urban District. It came into the Trafford Metropolitan Borough in 1974.

ASHWORTH: This township was in Lancashire until 1974. It was in Middleton Ecclesiastical Parish and in Bury Poor Law Union. In 1894 it became part of Birtle with Bamford township.

ASPULL: From the Old English " aespe "+ " hyll " meaning "a place where aspen trees grow", and known simply as " Aspul " by 1212. This township or Civil Parish was originally in Lancashire, and in Wigan Ecclesiastical Parish and Wigan Poor Law Union. In 1876, Aspull. Local Board of Health was established for the township and in 1894 the area became an Urban District. In 1974 the Urban District became part of Wigan Metropolitan Borough.

ASTLEY: From the Old English "east" and "leah" meaning "east wood or clearing", known by 1210 as " Astelegh e". This township or Civil Parish was in Leigh in the County of Lancashire, as well as in Leigh Ecclesiastical Parish and in Leigh Poor Law Union. In 1933 it became part of Tyldesley Urban District, and as such came into the Metropolitan Borough of Wigan in 1974.

ASTLEY BRIDGE: In 1864 Astley Bridge Local Board of Health was established for parts of Sharples and Little Bolton. In 1894 the area became Astley Bridge Urban District. In 1898 the Urban District was dissolved and its area became part of Bolton Borough.

ATHERTON: Named in 1212 as " Aderton " and meaning "farmstead or village of a man called Aethelhere". This township was originally in Lancashire, in Leigh Ecclesiastical Parish and in the Leigh Poor Law Union. In 1863 Atherton Local Board of Health was established and in 1894 part of the township was added to Leigh Urban District; the remainder became Atherton Urban District. In 1974 the Urban District became part of Wigan Metropolitan Borough.

AUDENSHAW: By c1200 known as " Aldwynshawe " and meaning "copse or wood of a man called Aldwyne". Audenshaw was an ancient division of Ashton under Lyne township in Lancashire. In 1874 Audenshaw Local Board of Health was established. In 1894 this area became Audenshaw Urban District in the Ashton under Lyne Poor Law Union. In 1974 it became part of Tameside Metropolitan Borough.

B

BAGULEY:This parish was in Cheshire in the Bowdon Ecclesiastical Parish and in Bucklow Poor Law Union (the so-called Altrincham Union) until 1895. In 1931 it became part of the City of Manchester. Its area was used for the development of Wythenshawe housing estate.

BARDSLEY: From the Old English, by 1442 known as " Berdsley ", probably meaning " a woodland clearing of a man called Beornraëd". This parish was in Lancashire and was formed in 1894 from the area of Ashton under Lyne township. It was in Ashton under Lyne Poor Law Union. In 1951 part of it was added to Oldham Borough. In 1954 it was dissolved and its area divided between Ashton under Lyne Borough, Oldham Borough and Failsworth Urban District..

BARTON MOSS: Barton was a common Old English name " bere-tün " or " baer-tün " meaning a barley farm, or a place where barley corn was stored. The Old English name " mos " indicated a swamp or bog. This parish was in Lancashire and was formed in 1894 from an area of the Barton upon Irwell township. It was in Barton upon Irwell Poor Law Union. In 1896 parts of Irlam Urban District and Davyhulme Civil Parish were added to it and there was an exchange of areas between the parishes of Barton Moss and Flixton. In 1933 it was dissolved and its area divided between Eccles Borough and Worsley Urban District, both of which became part of Salford Metropolitan Borough in 1974.

BARTON UPON IRWELL: A similar name derivation to Barton Moss (above) but with the later affix "upon Irwell" (meaning "beside the River Irwell"), to distinguish it from other places of the same name. Barton upon Irwell hamlet or village developed north of a crossing over the River Irwell, within the area of what became Eccles. The name "Barton" or "Barton upon Irwell" has been used for a number of local government areas. During the Middle Ages there are references to lands in the "vill" or "Barton" or "Barton upon Irwell"; for this "vill". In the northern part of this township, the Barton, Eccles, Winton and Monton Local Board of Health was established in 1854 and, with the addition of part of Worsley township, the area of this Local Board largely became in 1892 that of Eccles Borough and Barton upon Irwell. The Barton upon Irwell Rural District was established in 1894 and was then in Lancashire. It comprised the townships or Civil Parishes of Barton Moss, Clifton, Davyhulme and Flixton. The Rural District was dissolved in 1933. The actual township of Barton Upon Irwell was in Eccles Ecclesiastical Parish. It was in Chorlton Poor Law Union, 1841-49, and in Barton upon Irwell Poor Law Union. In 1892 the Local Board was succeeded by Eccles Borough. The area of Barton upon Irwell township included in Eccles Borough in 1892 was largely the same as had been included in the area of the former Local Board; in addition, another part of Worsley township was included in Eccles Borough in 1892. In 1894 Barton upon Irwell township was dissolved and its area divided between Eccles Borough, Irlam Urban District and Barton Moss and Davyhulme townships. Medieval records refer to lands in this "vill"; some of these lands appear to have been in the neighbourhood of Barton upon Irwell hamlet, others as distant as Farnworth township.

BESSES O'TH'BARN: Hamlet, originally in the locality of Pilkington township, subsequently in Whitefield township or Civil Parish, and as such it became part of Bury Metropolitan Borough in 1974. This oddly named village, known locally simply as "Besses", is actually an old industrial town whose name has potentially colourful origins. The most probable explanation of the placename derives from one its most infamous pub landladies, Elizabeth "Bess" Bamford, landlady of the local "Dog Inn" from 1674-1699. She was known as Besses o'th Barn and this almost certainly became the eventual name of the pub and of the district.

BESWICK: The Old English affix "Wick" or "Wich" usually meant to indicate a field. Beswick probably means "the field (or some authorities believe "the dairy farm") belonging to a man called Bes". This parish used to be in Lancashire, and was in Manchester Ecclesiastical Parish. It was in Prestwich Poor Law Union from 1858-1915, and in Manchester Poor Law Union from 1915-30. In 1838 it became part of the Borough of Manchester, and now forms part of the City of Manchester. See Beswick - Main Entry.

BILLINGE: By 1202 known simply as " Bilinge " from the Old English word for "a sharp hill or ridge". This parish used to be in Lancashire and was in Wigan Ecclesiastical Parish. It came to be divided into two separate townships, Billing Chapel End and Billinge Higher End. These townships were in Wigan Poor Law Union. In 1872 Billinge Local Board of Health was established for the area of these two townships and two detached parts (one known as Blackley Hurst and the other situated in the Carr Mill area, both lying within the area of Billinge Chapel End township) of Winstanley township. In 1894 the area of the Local Board (together with the remaining area of Winstanley township) became Billinge Urban District. In 1927 the Urban District was renamed Billinge and Winstanley Urban District. In 1974 the Billinge Higher End ward and most of Winstanley ward became part of Wigan Metropolitan Borough in the Greater Manchester County; the Billinge Chapel End area (including the two former detached parts of Winstanley township) became part of St. Helens Metropolitan Borough, in the Merseyside Metropolitan County.

BIRTLE WITH BAMFORD: This township, (also known as Birtle cum Bamford), was in Lancashire in Middleton Ecclesiastical Parish and in the Bury Poor Law Union. In 1867 part of it was included in Heywood Local Board of Health. In 1872 part of it was included in the area of Bury improvement commissioners. Under the Divided Parishes Act of 1882 parts of Walmersley with Shuttleworth and Heap townships were added to it. In 1894 Ashworth township and part of Heap township were added to it and part of it was added to Walmersley with Shuttleworth township In 1933 it was dissolved and its area divided between Bury, Rochdale and Heywood Boroughs.

BLACKLEY: From the Old English " blaec " and " leah " meaning "a dark wood or clearing" - known as "Blakely" by 1282. This Civil Parish was in Lancashire in the Manchester Ecclesiastical Parish and in the Manchester Poor Law Union between 1841-50, in the Prestwich Poor Law Union from 1850-1915, and in Manchester Poor Law Union from 1915-30. In 1890 it became part of the City of Manchester. See Blackley - Main Entry.

BLACKLEY HURST: Detached part of Winstanley township situated within Billinge Chapel End township.

BLACKROD: From two Old English words "blaec" and rodu", known by c1189 as " Blacherode " and meaning "dark clearing". This Civil Parish was in Lancashire, in Bolton (or Bolton le Moors) Ecclesiastical Parish and in Wigan Poor Law Union. In 1872 Blackrod Local Board of Health was established for the township. In 1894 the Local Board became an Urban District. In 1974 the Urban District became part of Bolton Metropolitan Borough.

BLATCHINWORTH AND CALDERBROOK: This Civil Parish was formed from the ancient township of Hundersfield in Rochdale Ecclesiastical Parish and in the Rochdale Poor Law Union. In 1870 part of it was Included in the area of Littleborough Local Board of Health. In 1879 the Local Board of Health was extended to include the rest of Blatchinworth and Calderbrook township. In 1894 the township was dissolved and the area of the Local Board became Littleborough Urban District.

BOARSHAW : Locality in Middleton township.

BOLLINGTON : Literally meaning "a town or farmstead next to the River Bollin" - the origin of the word "Bollin" is unknown. Parts of Bollington Civil Parish were added to Bowdon Urban District and to Dunham Massey Civil Parish.

BOLTON : The nameplace is common in the north of England, from two Old English words "böthl" and "tün" meaning "a settlement with special builting", and known by 1185 as " Boelton ". The town of Bolton was granted a charter by William de Ferrers, Earl of Derby; in 1253 but it was not recognised as a borough in the Municipal Corporations Act of 1835. In 1838 Bolton Borough was established, comprising in area Great Bolton township, part of Little Bolton township and part (Haulgh area) of Tonge with Haulgh township. These townships were all in Bolton (or Bolton le Moors) Ecclesiastical Parish. (From 1792 to 1338 Great Bolton and Little Bolton townships had Improvement Trustees (or police commissioners) for the improvement of the respective townships). In 1872 part of Rumworth township was added to the Borough and in 1877 part of Halliwell township. In 1889 it became a County Borough. It was in Bolton Poor Law Union. In 1898 Breightmet, Darcy Lever Deane (known before 1894 as Rumworth), Great Lever, Heaton, Lostock, Middle Hulton, Smithills and Tonge Civil Parishes, Astley Bridge Urban District and part of Over Hulton Civil Parish became part of the Borough. In 1974 Bolton became a Metropolitan Borough. This Metropolitan District in Greater Manchester County was formed from the following local government areas: Bolton County Borough; Farnworth Municipal Borough, Blackrod, Horwich, Kearsley, Little Lever and Westhoughton Urban District and part (Bradshaw North, Bradshaw South, Bromley Cross and Eagley wards and south part of Egerton ward) of Turton Urban District of Lancashire. The former Bolton Rural District had, by 1894, comprised the following townships or Civil Parishes: Bradshaw, Breightmet, Darcy Lever, Halliwell, Heaton, Lostock, Middle Hulton, Over Hulton, Rumworth Belmont Tongs (less Haulgh). In 1898 the Rural District was dissolved and the Civil Parishes in it became part of Bolton Borough and Turton and Westhoughton Urban Districts. See Bolton - Main Entry.

BOOTHSTOWN: Area partly in Worsley (subsequently in Salford Metropolitan District) and partly in Tyldesley with Shakerley township, (subsequently in Wigan Metropolitan Borough).

BOSDEN: This township or Civil Parish was in Cheshire and its area had been in Handforth cum Bosden township which in 1877 was divided into Bosden and Handforth townships or Civil Parishes In 1900 Bosden Civil Parish became part of Hazel Grove and Bramhall Urban District.

BOWDON: Known from the Domesday Book of 1086 as " Bogedone " from 2 Old Saxon words "boga" and"dün" meaning "curved hill". This Civil Parish was in Cheshire in Bowdon Ecclesiastical Parish and in the Bucklow Poor Law Union (the Altrincham Union). In 1936 part of it was added to Altrincham Urban District and part of Dunham Massey Civil Parish was added to it. In 1936 parts of Bollington Urban District and Dunham Massey Civil Parish were added to Bowdon Urban District and parts of it were added to Hale and Altrincham Urban Districts. In 1974 Bowdon Urban District became part of Trafford Metropolitan Borough.

BRADFORD: A common Old English placename meaning "a broad ford". This township or Civil Parish was in Lancashire in Manchester Ecclesiastical Parish and in the Manchester Poor Law Union from 1841-50, in Prestwich Poor Law Union from1850-1915, and in the Manchester Poor Law Union from 1915-30. In 1856 Bradford Local Board of Health was established for the area of the township. In 1885 the township became part of the City of Manchester. Not to be confused with the City of Bradford in Yorkshire. See Bradford - Main Entry.

BRADSHAW: From 2 Old English words "brad" and "sceaga" and known by 1246 as " Bradeshaghe ", meaning "broad wood or copse". This township or Civil Parish used to be in Lancashire. It was in Bolton (or Bolton le Moors) Ecclesiastical Parish and in the Bolton Poor Law Union. In 1898 it became part of Turton Urban District, and in 1974 became part of Bolton Metropolitan Borough.

BRAMHALL: Entered in the Domesday Book in 1086 as " Bramale " from the Old English meaning "nook or place where the broom tree grows". This Civil Parish was originally in Cheshire in Stockport Ecclesiastical Parish and in the Stockport Poor Law Union. In 1900 it became part of Hazel Grove and Bramhall Urban District, and in 1974 became part of Stockport Metropolitan Borough.

BRANDLESHOLME: Locality in Elton township within Bury Metropolitan Borough.

BREDBURY & ROMILEY: Bredbury is found in the Domesday Survey of 1086 as " Bretberie " meaning a "stronghold or manor house built of planks". Romiley, also in Domesday was known as " Rumelie ", meaning "a spacious woodland clearing". This township or Civil Parish was in Cheshire in Stockport Ecclesiastical Parish and in the Stockport Poor Law Union. In 1865 Bredbury Local Board of Health was established for the township. In 1380 the township was included in the area of Bredbury and Romiley Local Board of Health. The Bredbury & Romiley Urban District was in Cheshire and comprised of the townships or Civil Parishes of Bredbury and Romiley Both townships were in Stockport Ecclesiastical Parish and in the Stockport Poor Law Union. In 1865 Bredbury Local Board of Health was established for Bredbury township. In 1880 Bredbury was included with Romiley in the area of Bredbury and Romiley Local Board of Health. In 1894 this Local Board of Health became Bredbury and Romiley Urban District. In 1901 part of Bredbury Civil Parish was added to Stockport Borough and in 1902 the remaining area of Brinnington Civil Parish was added to Bredbury Civil Parish. In 1936 parts of Compstall Urban District, Hyde Borough and Marple Urban District were added to Bredbury and Romiley Urban District and parts of the Urban District were added to Stockport Borough and Marple Urban District. In 1952 part of Bredbury and Romiley Urban District was added to Stockport Borough. In 1974 the Urban District became part of Stockport Metropolitan Borough.

BREIGHTMET: (Pronounced "br-ate-mit" by Boltonians). This township or Civil Parish was in Lancashire. It was in Bolton (or Bolton-le-Moors) Ecclesiastical Parish and in the Bolton Poor Law Union. In 1898 it became part of Bolton Borough.

BRINDLE HEATH: Locality in Pendleton township, formerly known as " Brindlache ", probably originally meaning "a hill or heath by a stream" - (brindle is probably an old name for a stream). Now in Salford Metropolitan Borough.

BRINKSWAY: Locality in Cheadle township, subsequently in Stockport Borough.

BRINNINGTON: This township or Civil Parish was in Cheshire in Stockport Ecclesiastical Parish and in the Stockport Poor Law Union. In 1835 part of it was included in Stockport Borough, In 1901 an additional part of it was added to Stockport Borough. In 1902 the remaining area of the Civil Parish became part of Bredbury Civil Parish.

BROADBOTTOM: Known by 1286 as " Brodebothem ", meaning a "broad bottomed valley". Locality in Mottram in Longdendale township.

BROMLEY CROSS: Locality in Turton township in the Metropolitan Borough of Bolton.

BROOKBOTTOM: Locality in Saddleworth township in Oldham Metropolitan Borough.

BROOKLANDS: District in the Sale locality. From the Old English meaning "Cultivated lands beside a brook". Part of Trafford Metropolitan Borough.

BROOKSBOTTOM: Locality in Elton, Tottington Lower End and Walmersley with Shuttleworth townships The part in Walmersley with Shuttleworth township was also known as Rowlands or as part of the Summerseat area - now in the Metropolitan Borough of Bury.

BROUGHTON: A common placename in Old English meaning a "farmstead by a brook". This Civil Parish was in Lancashire in Manchester Ecclesiastical Parish and in the Salford Poor Law Union. Not to be confused with Broughton township, near Preston, Lancashire. Includes Lower Broughton, Higher Broughton and Broughton Park, as well as parts of Kersal. In 1844 part and in 1853 the remaining area of the township was included in Salford Borough. In 1851 Broughton Local Board of Health was established for the area of the township.

BUCKLOW RURAL DISTRICT: This was formed in 1894 and was in Cheshire. The following townships and Civil Parishes at some time lay within the Rural District and were to become part of the Borough of Trafford in the Greater Manchester County: Ashton upon Mersey, Baguley, Carrington, Dunham Massey, Northern Etchells, Hale, Northenden, Partington, Ringway, Timperley, Warburton.

BULLOCK SMITHY: A former name of the Hazel Grove area of Stockport.

BURNAGE: This township or Civil Parish was formerly in Lancashire in Manchester Ecclesiastical Parish and in the Chorlton Poor Law Union from 1837-1915, and in Manchester Poor Law Union from1915-30. In 1876 it was included in the area of Withington Local Board of Health. Under the Divided Parishes Act of 1882 there was an exchange of areas with Withington township and part of Didsbury township was added to Burnage township. In 1894 it became part of Withington Urban District. In 1904 it became part of the City of Manchester.
See Burnage - Main Entry.

BURNDEN: Locality in Great Bolton, Great Lever and Tonge with Haulgh townships.

BURY: From the Old English " Burh " - "a place by the fort or stronghold", by 1194 known simply as " Biri ". This township or Civil Parish was in Lancashire, (and local people still prefer to regard it as such). It was in Bury Ecclesiastical Parish and in the Bury Poor Law Union. In 1846 commissioners were established for the improvement of Bury township and part of Elton township. In 1872 parts of Birtle with Bamford, Heap, Pilsworth, Radcliffe, Walmersley with Shuttleworth, Tottington Lower End and Elton townships were included in the area of the commissioners. In 1876 Bury Borough was established. In 1885 parts of Elton, Tottington tower End, Walmersley with Shuttleworth and Pilkington townships were added to the Borough. Bury Rural District was in Lancashire. In 1894 it comprised the following townships : Ainsworth, Birtle with Bamford Walmersley with Shuttleworth, Outwood and Unsworth. In 1889 the Parish and the Rural District became a County Borough. In 1911 part of Radcliffe Urban District was added to it and in 1933 parts of Heywood Borough, Tottington Urban District and Birtle with Bamford, Unsworth and Walmersley with Shuttleworth Civil Parishes. Also in 1933 there was an exchange of areas with Radcliffe Urban District and part of Bury Borough was added to Ramsbottom Urban District. In 1937 a very small part of Whitefield Urban District was added to the Borough. In 1974 it became part of Bury Metropolitan Borough, which was formed in 1974 from the following local government areas: Bury County Borough, Prestwich and Radcliffe Municipal Boroughs, Tottington and Whitefield Urban Districts and part (Central, East, South and West wards) of Ramsbottom Urban District in Lancashire. See also Bury - Main Entry.

BUTTERWORTH: This township or Civil Parish was in Lancashire. It was in Rochdale Ecclesiastical Parish and in Rochdale Poor Law Union. In 1870 Milnrow Local Board.

C

CADISHEAD : Locality in Irlam Urban District. Known by 1212 as " Cadewalsate ", and meaning a "dwelling or fold by the stream of a man called Cada".

CALDERBROOK: Locality in Blatchinworth and Calderbrook township.

CAPTAIN FOLD: Locality in Hopwood township.

CARRBROOK: Locality in Stayley township.

CARRINGTON: By the 12th century known as " Carrintona ". Several possible meanings or explanations of the placename. 1). an estate or lands belonging to a man called Cara, or 2). from the Old English for caring (tending, herding or watching over - indicating sheep or cattle pastures), or 3). "caering" from an Old English word meaning "river bend". This township or Civil Parish was in Cheshire. It was in Bowdon Ecclesiastical Parish and in the Bucklow Poor Law Union (the so-called Altrincham Union) until 1895. In 1920 there were exchanges of areas with Flixton Civil Parish and Irlam Urban District. Also in 1920 part of the Civil Parish was added to Altrincham Urban District. In 1974 the Civil Parish became part of Trafford Metropolitan Borough.

CARR MILL: This area in Billinge Chapel End township included a detached part of Winstanley township.

CASTLETON: Common placename in Old English, simply meaning "a place or town near a castle". This township or Civil Parish was in Lancashire. It was in Rochdale Ecclesiastical Parish and in the Rochdale Poor Law Union. In 1825 part of it was included in the area of the improvement commissioners for the town of Rochdale. In 1867 part of it was included in the area of Heywood Local Board of Health and in 1881 became part of Heywood Borough. In 1870 Buersill Local Board of Health was established for part of the township; in 1872 part of the area of this Local Board was included in Rochdale Borough and in 1873 the Local Board ceased to exist. In 1875 Castleton by Rochdale Local Board of Health was established for part of the township; in 1879 parts of Hopwood and Thornham townships were included in the area of this Local Board. In 1879 another part of Castleton township was included in the area of Milnrow Local Board of Health and in 1894 became part of Milnrow Urban District. In 1894 the area of Castleton by Rochdale Local Board of Health became Castleton by Rochdale Urban District which in 1896 was renamed Castleton Urban District. In 1900 this Urban District was dissolved and its area divided between Rochdale and Heywood Boroughs.

CATLEY LANE: Locality in Spotland township

CHADDERTON: By c1200 known simply as " Chaderton ", meaning "farmstead at the hill called " Cadeir " (Celtic word meaning "chair"). This Civil Parish was in Lancashire in Prestwich with Oldham Ecclesiastical Parish and in the Oldham Poor Law Union. In 1713 it was agreed that 20 acres of the Hollinwood area were to be in this township and the rest in Oldham township. In 1880 part of Oldham Borough (in the Hollinwood area) was added to the township and part (including Chadderton near Hollins) of the township were added to Oldham Borough. In 1894 the area of the Local Board became an Urban District. In 1933 there were exchanges of areas with the City of Manchester and Middleton Borough. In 1974 the Urban District became part of Oldham Metropolitan Borough.

CHADWICK: Locality in Spotland township. Possibly named from Old English meaning a "field belonging to a man called Chad".

CHAPELFIELD: Locality in Pilkington township, subsequently in Radcliffe Borough and now in Bury Metropolitan Borough. Simply meaning "the chapel in the field".

CHAPELTOWN: Locality in Turton township of Bolton. Simply meaning "the chapel by the town".

CHARLESTOWN: An area in Pendleton township of Salford.

CHAT MOSS: A peat bog, some 10 square miles in area, extending into areas subsequently part of Salford Metropolitan District or Wigan Metropolitan Borough. Reclaimed for cultivation during the last century

CHEADLE & GATLEY: Cheadle is really 2 words combined - originally in Celtic " Ced " (pronounced "ched") meaning "wood" - the "Legh " part (also meaning "wood") is an Old English term that was added later in explanation - technically the town therefore means "Wood wood". By the time of Domesday in 1086 it was known as " Cedde " and by c1165 it had become known as " Chedle ". The name Gatley is known from 1290 as " Gateclyve ", meaning a bank or cliffs whereon goats were kept". This township or Civil Parish as in Cheshire and was formed in 1879 by the merging of Cheadle Buckeley and Cheadle Moseley (an area now know as Cheadle Hulme) townships or Civil Parishes. Both townships were in Cheadle Ecclesiastical Parish and in Stockport Poor Law Union. In 1835 parts of Cheadle Bulkeley and Cheadle Moseley townships had been included in Stockport Borough. In 1886 the area of Cheadle township outside Stockport Borough was included in the area of Cheadle and Gatley Local Board of Health. In 1886 Cheadle and Gatley Local Board of Health was established for the area of Stockport Etchells township and the part of Cheadle township outside Stockport Borough. In 1894 the area of the Local Board became Cheadle and Gatley Urban District in Cheshire. It was in the Stockport Poor Law union. In 1901 part of the Urban District was added to Wilmslow Urban Borough and part of Handforth Urban District was added to Cheadle and Gatley Urban District. In 1974 the Urban District became part of Stockport Metropolitan Borough.

CHEADLE BUCKELEY: Former Cheadle township. As above. Buckeley may be derived from " Buck-legh " an Old English term indicating a field where bucks (male deer) were kept. Therefore probably "the deer field belonging to the town of Cheadle".

CHEADLE HULME: Formerly called Cheadle Moseley. As above. Hulme is derived from an old word " hulm " meaning "water meadow", 12th century , therefore "a water meadow belonging to the town of Cheadle"..

CHEETHAM HILL: This township or Civil Parish was in Lancashire in Manchester Ecclesiastical Parish. It was in the Manchester Poor Law Union from 1841-50, in the Prestwich Poor Law Union from 1850-1915, and in Manchester Poor Law Union from 1915-30. In 1838 it became part of the Borough of Manchester and became known as Cheetham Hill. There was a Cheetham Committee of the Borough or City Council until 1875. See also Cheetham - Main Entry.

CHEQUERBENT: Locality in Westhoughton township of Bolton Metropolitan Borough.

CHESHAM: Locality in Bury Township. Placename possibly dating back to 1086, perhaps meaning "river meadow by a heap of stones".

CHEW MOOR: Locality in Lostock and Rumworth township, now in Bolton Metropolitan Borough. Names in the Domesday Survey of 1086, from the Celtic " Ciu " meaning "a river".

CHORLTON CUM HARDY: Chorlton may have come from an Old English word " ceorl " meaning "farmstead of peasants or freemen", and this township was known in 1243 as " Cholreton ". This was later combined with Hardy, neighbouring lands, from 1555, (from the Old English meaning "hard island") and has been known as Chorlton-cum-Hardy since that time. This township or Civil Parish was formerly in Lancashire in Manchester Ecclesiastical Parish. It was in Chorlton Poor Law Union from 1837-1915 and in Manchester Poor Law Union from 1915-30. In 1876 it was included in the area of Withington Local Board of Health. Under the Divided Parishes Act of 1882 part of Withington township was added to Chorlton cum Hardy township. In 1894 it became part of Withington Urban District. In 1904 it became part of the City of Manchester. See Chorlton-cum-Hardy - Main Entry.

CHORLTON UPON MEDLOCK: Nameplace as above, but with the later affix of "upon Medlock" (meaning "beside the River Medlock") to distinguish it from the former. This township (before 1832 known as Chorlton Roe) was in Lancashire in Manchester Ecclesiastical Parish. It was in Chorlton Poor Law Union from 1837-1915, and in Manchester Poor Law Union from 1915-1930. In 1838 it became part of the Borough of Manchester. From 1822 to 1842 police commissioners had powers for the improvement of the area of the township and from 1842 to 1875 there was a Chorlton upon Medlock Committee of Manchester Borough or City Council. Under the Divided Parishes Act of 1882 part of the township was added to Ardwick township. See also: Chorlton on Medlock - Main Entry.

CLAYTON: District of Manchester. Placename from the Old English, meaning "farmstead or township on clayey soil". This are formed the western part of Droylsden township or Civil Parish, Lancashire. In 1863 Droylsden Local Board of Health was formed for the whole area of the township but in 1890 the Clayton area became part of the City of Manchester; it was also in Prestwich Poor Law Union from 1894-1915, and in Manchester Poor Law Union from 1915-1930. The remaining eastern part of Droylsden township became, in 1894, Droylsden Urban District; in 1974 Droylsden Urban District became part of Tameside Metropolitan Borough.
See Clayton - Main Entry.

CLIFTON: This township or Civil Parish was in Lancashire. It was in Eccles Ecclesiastical Parish and in Barton Upon Irwell Poor Law Union. In 1933 it was dissolved and its areas divided between Kearsley Urban District and Swinton and Pendlebury Urban District. Now part of Salford metropolitan Borough.

COBHOUSE FARM: An area in Warmersley with Shuttleworth township transferred to Birtle with Bamford township under the Divided Parishes Act of 1882.

COCKEY MOOR: Locality in Ainsworth township

COLLYHURST: Locality in Manchester township in the City of Manchester.
See Collyhurst - Main Entry.

COMPSTALL: Werneth was a township or Civil Parish in Cheshire. It was in Stockport Ecclesiastical Parish and in the Stockport Poor Law Union. In 1877 part of Werneth township was included in the area of Hyde Local Board of Health and in 1881 became part of Hyde Borough. In 1897 the remaining area of the Civil Parish was renamed Compstall Civil Parish. In 1902 it became an Urban District. In 1936 the Urban District was dissolved and its area divided between Hyde Borough (now Tameside) and Bredbury and Romiley Urban District (now Stockport).

CROMPTON: This Civil Parish was in Lancashire. It was in Prestwich with Oldham Ecclesiastical Parish and in Oldham Poor Law Union. In 1873 Crompton Local Board of Health was formed for the township. In 1894 the area Board became an Urban District. In 1974 it became part of Oldham Metropolitan Borough.

CROSSBANK: In 1859 a Local Board of Health (at first known as Lees with Crossbank, later as Lees) was formed for the Lees area in Ashton under Lyne township. The name Crossbank is thought by some to derive from the days of the knights templar when a cross was etched into an earthen bank to denote lands granted to them. It was in Ashton under Lyne Poor Law Union. In 1911 part of Lees Urban District was added to it. In 1914 it became part of Lees Urban District. Now part of Oldham Metropolitan Borough.

CRUMPSALL: This township or Civil Parish was in Lancashire. It was in Manchester Poor Law Union from 1841-50, in Prestwich Poor Law Union from 1850-1915, and in Manchester Poor Law Union from 1915-30. In 1854 Crumpsall Local Board of Health was established for the township. In 1890 the township became part of the City of Manchester. See Crumpsall - Main Entry.

CULCHETH: Known in 1201 as " Culchet " probably from the Celtic meaning "a narrow wood". This township was formerly in Lancashire. It was in Winwick Ecclesiastical Parish and in the Leigh Poor Law Union. It should not be confused with the Culcheth area in Newton township, Manchester. It had four ancient, ill-defined quarters, called Culcheth (in the north), Holcroft (in the east), Peasfurlong (in the west) and Risley (in the south). In 1933 the Civil Parish was dissolved and its area divided between Golborne Urban District (Culcheth), Croft Civil Parish (Holcroft, Peasfurlong and part of Risley areas) and Woolston Civil Parish (remaining part of Risley area). In 1974, Croft, Woolston and the Culcheth and Newchurch wards of Golbourne Urban District, i.e. including the whole of the area of the former Civil Parish of Culcheth, became part of Warrington District, Cheshire.

... End of C Category].

'D' continues next page >>

Google Search

Custom Search

Animated Papillon Graphics Butterfly Logo
Papillon Graphics

 

Copyright © John Moss, Papillon Graphics AD 2013 Manchester, United Kingdom - all rights reserved.
This page last updated 27 Apr 09.