Moses Gate - Farnworth/Bolton.
Aerial Photo Courtesy of www.webbaviation.co.uk © 2005
the early 13th century this old district of Bolton was called "Bradeshaghe"
(meaning a "broad wood" or copse) and is famous for the
16th Century tower which is all that remains of the Bradshaw Chapel
of Ease and to the church of St. Maxentius. By 1666 there is mention
of Bradshaw Hall, (demolished in 1949), which was in the ownership of
the Bradshaw family and latterly by the Hardcastle family until 1948.
The Hardcastles owned the local bleach works, which was a major employer
in the village until its closure in 1963. From 1837 another bleach works
had existed in Harwood Vale under the various ownerships until it closed
and was demolished in 1965.
is a substantial township located about 5 miles north-west of Bolton
town centre, just off Junction 6 of the M61 Motorway, and has a resident
population of around 20,000. Now a notable local landmark is the Bolton
Arena Sports Complex at Middlebrook, which played host to the Badminton
competitions in the 2002 Commonwealth Games, and now hosts many other
world and national events. Also part of this sports complex is the Reebok
Stadium, home to Bolton Wanderers Football Club .
The name Horwich is thought to derive from two Old English words "har"
and "wice" meaning "the grey wych-elms".
Horwich was at one time renowned for its locomotive industry, though
this has long since gone, and the Loco Works are now a modern business
park and educational/training centre. The Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway
established its Locomotive Works in Horwich in the mid-19th century
and subsequently the town became identified with railway craftsmanship
for more than 100 years.
Nowadays it has other employers, such as British Aerospace, paper product
manufacturers Fort Sterling and Ingersoll Rand, makers of compressed-air
tools and equipment.
Lying as it does in the lea of the Pennine Hills and close to the moors,
Horwich is an area of great natural beauty offering panoramic views
over surrounding countryside. Recreational facilities in the town include
golf, cricket and football clubs.
Turton is located about 6½ miles north of Bolton town centre,
and is an area made up of several small villages and hamlets, most of
which were once part of the former Turton Urban District Council. Turton
was once the largest of the townships in the old Bolton-le-Moors parish
before being separated into two areas in 1974, which became North Turton
and South Turton. Three villages now make up North Turton - they are
Edgworth, Chapeltown and Belmont (see later on this page). Other small
hamlets like Entwistle, Quarlton, Round Barn, Turton Bottoms and Whittlestone
Head are also included in the district. The area is predominantly agricultural,
and is fortunate to be located on the commuter railway line from Blackburn
to Manchester, though with a very limited service.
lies in the north-east corner of North Turton between Broadhead Brook
on the west and Quarlton Brook in the south-east. The name Edgworth
is of Anglo-Saxon origin, and has existed in many forms, including in
the 13th century, Eggwrthe, Egewurth, Eggeswrth, Edgeword and
Eggeworth . The name probably means "a village on the edge
of a hillside". It is notorious for its so-called 17th century
'Folds'. A "Fold" generally refers to an enclosure of a farmstead
and associated cottages. Names like Isherwood Fold, Horrocks Fold, Thomasson
Fold and Brandwood Fold are typical of the village.
The village of Edgworth is actually composed of five small hamlets -
Quarlton, Turton Bottoms, Entwistle, Round Barn and Whittlestone Head.
The district is well known to walkers and ramblers for its picturesque
landscapes, and views of its two large reservoirs - the Wayoh, and
Entwistle, which provide freshwater to the surrounding areas.
village of Chapeltown is set within the Lancashire Moors some 5 miles
north-east of Bolton town centre, and is distinctive for its fine Tudor
and 18th century stone cottages. The village still boasts its stocks,
located in High Street, which is now a designated conservation area.
Nearby is the Jumbles Reservoir, which gathers water from the surrounding
moorland. The reservoir and Bradshaw Valley park offer many recreational
activities including fishing, picnicking and walking. The imposing Turton
Tower is situated at the southern end of the village This area has many
good pubs/restaurants and is very popular with walkers.
small village of Belmont is located about 3 miles from Bolton high in
the hills and moors on the A675 road from Bolton to Preston and Chorley.
Renamed in 1804 from Hordern to its present name of Belmont, meaning
"beautiful hill". The village saw extensive expansion and
development in the mid-19th century with the mechanisation of its traditional
bleaching and dyeing crafts; a stone quarry and a calico printworks
also came to be major employers in the village. Though the bleach works
still survives fully operational, a shadow of its former self, industry
has now largely gone, and Belmont has reverted back to a rural moorland
community. Nearby is Winter Hill, the highest point in the West Pennines,
and now distinctive for its radio and telecommunications transmitter
masts. Belmont Reservoir is also the home base of Bolton Sailing Club,
as Delph Reservoir hosts the Delph Sailing Club. A third, the Wards
Reservoir, supplies Bolton with fresh water is known locally as the
Blue Lagoon. An unusual feature of the village is the street name plaques
- carved stone in oval cartouches. Edward Deakin, the owner of the local
Bleachworks, went on to become High Sheriff of Lancashire.
is a popular historic and scenic area located between the towns of Horwich,
Bolton and Chorley. Owing to its hilly location, most of Rivington's
features are not accessible by car. Plans are in hand to renovate some
area's amenities through the Lever Park Management Plan, despite considerable
local opposition to the intention to charge for visitor access the area.
The local landscape is dominated by Rivington Pike standing high on
Rivington Moor, built in 1773 by the owner of Rivington Hall. A path
from the Hall leads through terraced gardens to the top of the moor,
and is well worth taking for the more energetic visitor. Rivington Village
is at the north end of Lever Park, located at the junction of the Anglezarke
Lower and the Yarrow Upper Rivington reservoirs, and is a charming place
with its 16th century parish church. The Great House Barn in nearby
Lever Park, which may have dated from the Middle Ages is a trip into
the past, and is a well restored and preserved monument, now a restaurant,
and serves as a Tourist Information Centre. Also
See: Rivington Pike.
township of Farnworth is located about 1 mile south of Bolton town centre.
Its name comes from the old English and means "the enclosure among
the ferns". By 1282 it was known as "Ffornword" ,
and later as "Ferneworth" . By the end of the 13th Century,
the district had passed into the ownership of the Levers and the Hultons.
George Hulton had first begun coal pits in the 17th century, and by
the middle of the 19th century there were no fewer than 20 pits in the
area. Farnwoth boasts one of the earliest paper mills in Lancashire,
built by the Crompton family. It opened its first steam weaving mill
in 1828 , and an iron foundry in 1838. The River Irwell and the River
Croal flow though Farnworth, both of which are popular walking and picnicking
spots in summer.
is an area located in the district of Bradshaw, a former township in
the parish of Bolton, in the old Salford Hundred, located about 2 miles
north-east of Bolton. It lies between Castle Hill and Bromley Cross.
In the 13th century it was known by the name of "Harewode"
The origin of its name is ambiguous - two possible explanations exist.
One possibility is that it simply means 'the wood where hares abound';
the other explanation maintains it is from the old English 'har'
meaning grey or hoary, (therefore - "the grey wood"). The
word 'har', however, can also indicate a boundary, so the origin
of the placename remains shrouded in uncertainties.
former township of Breightmet lies between Bradshaw and Blackshaw Brooks
on the West Pennine Moors above Bolton. Its unusual name, (impossible
for any outsider to pronounce properly), is thought to be Saxon, and
meaning a 'bright meadow'. Over the years there have been many different
spellings of the placename - Brihtmede, Brightemete, Breghmete, Brithmete
and Brightmede . Breightmet, its present form, has existed
since the late 16th century. Pronunciation varies too - is it "Bright-met",
"Brate-met", "Break-met" or "Breat-met"?
Who can say? Even locals disagree.
There is a suggestion that Breightmet Hill may have at one time been
a site for a Fire Beacon, and therefore "Bright-met" seems
the most likely correct pronunciation.
Breightmet was part of the Bolton Rural Sanitary Authority - established
in 1872. In 1898 Breightmet became part of the Bolton County Borough,
where it had formerly always been recognised as being a separate township
small village of Entwistle is located between the towns of Bolton, Darwen
and Bury. It is surrounded by the villages of Edgworth, Quarlton and
Turton, and is on the railway line between Manchester and Blackburn.
It lies to the north-eastern corner of the old Turton Urban District
and consists of some 1668 acres. As a separate township Entwistle dates
from the early 13th century, when it formed part of the Manor of Entwistle
(then known as "Hennetwisel" ) belonging to the Entwistle
Family of the Hospitallers. Their county seat was Entwistle Halland
their most famous former occupant was Bertine Entwistle, said to have
been knighted on the field at the Battle of Agincourt by King Henry
V himself. By 1555 ownership had passed to the Tyldesleys. The Old Roman
Road from Manchester to Ribchester runs through Entwistle going south
to north past Pike House Farm at Whittlestone Head and possibly dividing
the Township at the boundaries of the Old and New Livings. The Bolton
to Blackburn Turnpike built in 1797 runs along the Western boundary
of Entwistle at Bull Hill. Entwistle Reservoir was built in 1832, its
108 feet high dam being the highest in Britain at that time. Construction
of the Entwistle and Wayoh reservoirs displaced many local farming residents,
as did the building of the railway later in 1848. This involved the
cutting of Cranberry Moss Tunnel, over 1 mile long from Whittlestone
Head to just short of Darwen. The whole project including the viaduct
at Entwistle took three years.
Lever was at one time a township or civil parish in Lancashire, in the
Bolton (then called Bolton le Moors) Ecclesiastical Parish and in Bolton
Poor Law Union. In 1898 it became part of Bolton Borough. The notable
Darcy Lever Viaduct is one of its distinctive features, comprising a
wrought iron structure of eight spans, standing on stone piers and abutments
and dating from 1848. Carrying the Bolton to Bury line over the River
Tonge and Radcliffe Road at a height of over 80 feet, the structure
was finally designated non-operational in 1983, some thirteen years
after the line closed. This magnificent structure has needed only minimal
maintenance work due to the high quality of its materials and construction.
It must surely be one of the most dramatic and spectacular viaducts
in this country, towering over the surrounding area, crossing over a
dramatic river valley and immortalising the "mill town" character
of Darcy Lever.
derivation of the placename is vague. It could have been derived from
the old English "hlose" meaning pig or swine, and "stoc"
meaning sty. Another possible derivation may be from the Celtic "llostog"
the name for a beaver, and may refer to the river where beavers were
frequently to be found. Lostock is located between Horwich and Middlebrook.
Local industries now include BAE Systems, (formerly British Aerospace),
Matra Dynamics, (once the deHavilland Aircraft Company) - these all
have locations on a new large industrial estate in Lostock.
once small village of Little Lever is located in the south-east of the
Borough of Bolton on the Radcliffe road, now considerably expanded by
continued house-building over the past few decades. Despite development,
Little Lever has retained much of its village character. There is a
pleasant shopping centre and many social activities including the town's
In former times there were 27 coal pits in the locality. But, by 1927
all but one had closed. The last surviving pit was the Ladyshaw Colliery,
the last pit in Lancashire to use candles for illumination. The Bolton
Canal was breached in 1936, and the prohibitive costs of reparation
effectively led to its closure in 1941. Local industries have included
mineral water production, brick & tile making, terra cotta clayworks,
pottery and an iron works, as well as three cotton mills.
name Kearsley is defined as "a meadow of water grass". Located
Three miles south-west of Bolton, Kearsley (one time known as "Kersley" ),
lies in the Irwell valley, the river having been the basis of early
settlement and industrialisation in the region. This township or civil
parish was formerly in Lancashire, in Deane Ecclesiastical Parish and
in Bolton Poor Law Union. In 1865 Kearsley Local Board of Health was
established for the area of the township. In 1894 the area of the Local
Board became an Urban District. In 1933 part of Clifton Civil Parish
and part of Outwood Civil Parish were added to the Urban District. In
1974 it became part of Bolton Metropolitan Borough. The area developed
around a thriving mining community sometimes known as Kearsley Moor.
In 1878 forty-three miners were killed in the Unity Brook Colliery disaster,
and later, in 1885, there were 180 killed in an explosion at Clifton
Other early industry included handloom weaving and papermaking. In the
1790s the Manchester, Bolton and Bury Canal was constructed, serving
coal mines from the Clifton, Agecroft, and Pendleton. Later, in 1838,
the Bolton to Salford railway opened to take over the carrying trade.
Nowadays, Kearsley is a small manufacturing town with new industrial
estates, and new housing development.
name of the old rural district of Halliwell is thought to be derived
simply from the words "holy well". Its name has appeared in
many forms over the years: as HaliWalle, Haliwell, Halliwoe and
Hollowell . The well in question was located in Moss Bank Park and
was filled in 1740 after a young girl fell into the well and was drowned.
Its exact location is unknown. To the north of Halliwell lies Smithills.
Halliwell saw considerable development during the 19th century, largely
as a result of the opening of the Astley Bridge branch railway line.
By the end of the 18th century industry had arrived in the district.
In 1739 the Halliwell Bleach Works was opened by the Ainsworth family,
who also owned Smithills Hall
and its estates. The Ainsworths were notable local philanthropists who
also funded the building and running of churches, schools and housing
in the area.
township of Westhoughton is located on the A6 trunk road about 4 miles
south-west of Bolton. The M61 Motorway runs along its northern boundary.
Earliest records show the small market town of Westhoughton, originally
in Lancashire, had been known by at least two other versions of the
placename, including Westhalcton and Westhalghton . Formerly
an Urban District Council with its own Town Hall, (built in 1903 to
replace the former Local Board Offices), Westhoughton was brought into
the Borough of Bolton in 1900.
Coal mining was its main occupation. In 1910, at Pretoria Pit in the
town, an underground explosion killed 344 miners leaving just 3 survivors.
Nowadays, Westhoughton is a popular dormitory district for workers in
Bolton and Wigan. It has a small shopping centre and the A58 diversion
opened up a major development site for commercial and retail use on
the outskirts of the township.
area is a township of Bradshaw. It was named from an ancient cross,
originally called Kershaw's Cross. The family name of Bromley was also
known as Bromiley. The district is an affluent and sought-after place
to live, overlooking rural country landscapes and well clear of the
urbanisation of Bolton town centre. To the south-west is Eagley, Last
Drop Village lies to the north, and in the south is Harwood. The original
cross recorded in the placename has now long since gone. The area was
once dominated by the Ashworth family mills - they also established
the Bolton-Blackburn Railway Company. To the northern edge of Bromley
Cross is the Last Drop Village which was created in 1964 from derelict
farm buildings off Hospital Road into a village-like community that
contains a hotel providing various sports facilities, a pub, bistro
and function rooms, craft shops where one may watch craftspeople at
work, and an old-world teashop full of period attractions. Glass blowers,
ceramic sculptors, toy and jewellery makers are among those who demonstrate
their crafts and sell their wares. See Also: Last
village is set on a hill and is located about 6 miles due west of Bolton.
The name of Blackrod probably comes from two old English words, "blæc"
or "black" (actually meaning "bleak"), and
"rod" (signifying a clearing in the forest). This might
refer to its exposed location high on the moors, once part of the forest
of Horwich which was subsequently cleared to create the Blackrod township.
In 1201 it was known as ' Blakerode' . The earliest written record
of 1125 records the Manor of Blackrod as being held by William Peverel.
The township's main industry was coal mining and agriculture - there
were 7 pits in 1869 and 30 farms known to exist in 1902. A weaving mill
was also built in 1906. Today the pits have all gone and only a few
farms remain. Blackrod is mainly a residential area and still retains
a Mayor and Town Council. Six miles west of Bolton, this small, growing,
mainly residential town, is set on a hill overlooking open countryside
with views across to Rivington Pike and the West Pennine Moors. Its
location close to Junction 6 on the M61 Motorway, make it a popular
commuter area for workers in Bolton, Manchester, Chorley and Preston.
district of Tonge in Bolton Borough is located south of Castle Hill
between Bradshaw Brook and the River Tonge. The name is supposed to
be derived from the Old English 'tang' or 'twang' meaning a fork in
a river. To the north lies Tonge Moor. Tonge was at one time owned by
the Starkie family, and the 'The Starkie Arms' commemorates them today;
they were one-time residents of the Hall