Renaissance & Paladian Country in Northwest England
Near Bakewell, Derbyshire DE45 1PP. Tel: 01246-582
Aerial Photo Courtesy of www.webbaviation.co.uk © 2008
Seat of the Dukes of Devonshire, Chatsworth
is one of Derbyshire's most celebrated and largest country residences
- about 1½ hours drive from Manchester.
Built by Talman for the 1st Duke between 1687 and 1707 in the
Paladian Renaissance style which was popular in Britain at that
time, it houses a world famous collection of drawings, paintings,
sculptures, books and furniture, as well as having one of the
most elaborate water gardens set within a 100 acres of parkland.
Chatsworth has been a tourist attraction ever since its completion,
with an inn and a club (now the estate office) being built in
neighbouring Edensor for the convenience of travellers. Various
additions to the original building have made Chatsworth into
a sprawling mansion.
The Chapel and the Great Dining Room were added in the 1690s,
the Theatre at the north end in the 1790s, the Drawing & Sketching
Galleries in the 1830s, the Library fitted out in 1815, the
Great Dining Room in 1832 - all bear witness to Chatsworth's
use as a living, growing house which is far more than a museum
There are priceless treasures within, including splendid wall
and ceiling paintings by Guido Reni, Verrio and Laguerre, sculptures
by Canova, Lucian Freud, Giambologna and from classical Roman
antiquity, woodcarvings by Grinling Gibbons, canvasses by Holbein,
Lawrence, Van Dyke, Hals, Landseer and Gainsborough, as well
as Worcester, Wedgwood and Chinese porcelains and silver plate.
The gardens boast the remains of a Paxton conservatory, and
a high lake fountain powered only by the natural fall of water
down the garden Cascade. Innumerable rare and exotic plants
and flowers are grown, and an arboretum displays many strange
and ancient trees in a natural forest setting. The Stables have
now been converted to a restaurant and shop.
About a ½ mile east of Edensor village
on the A623, 4 miles east of Bakewell. About 1½ hours drive
from Manchester (longer at peak times) via the A6 road to Stockport,
Buxton and Bakewell, well signposted as you approach Bakewell.
16 miles from Junction 29 on the M1 Motorway, signposted "Chesterfield".
House & Gardens: Open daily from the
end of March to the end of October.
Farmyard & Adventure Playground: same opening but shorter times
- please check before setting off.
There is an admission charge for entrance
to the house and gardens. with a reduction for gardens only
visits. You are advised to phone to check current prices. Concessions
for children, students and Senior Citizens.
Several toilets in and around the house
and gardens. Baby Room. Parking on site (paying). Licensed self-service
restaurant serving full meals, snacks and refreshments in the
Stable Block. Coach driver's Rest Room.
Refreshments kiosks in the gardens and outside in the parking
Regrettably the House is virtually impossible for wheelchair
access, but the gardens are fully accessible - wheelchairs also
provided. Shop in Stable Block and in the House, selling books,
postcards, Sweets, chocolates biscuits, herbs, pot pourri, gifts
and fancy goods of all kinds. Farmyard, children's Adventure
Playground, Farm shop nearby. Frequent events held - angling,
shooting, crafts fairs.
Chatsworth House from the approach road bridge
South Facade, Lake and Fountain
The Stables Block
Rivington is a scenic excursion into county
of Lancashire, with its picturesque landscapes, moors and big
reservoirs. Well signposted from Bolton centre, follow signs for
Horwich and then Rivington.
The landscape is dominated by Rivington Pike standing high on
Rivington Moor, built in 1733 by the owner of Rivington Hall.
A path from the Hall leads through terraced gardens to the top
of the moor, and is well worth taking for the more energetic visitor.
Rivington Village is at the north end of Lever Park, located at
the junction of the Anglezarke Lower and the Yarrow Upper Rivington
reservoirs, and is a charming place with its 16th century parish
The Great House Barn in nearby Lever Park, which may have dated
from the Middle Ages is a trip into the past, and is a well restored
and preserved monument, now a restaurant, and serves as a Tourist
The restaurant can be pre-booked by telephone on: 01204-697 738.
Parties and special occasions catered for, and special Christmas
Buffet, Dinner and Dances on offer.
Rivington, Bolton BL6 7SB. Tel: 01204-697738.
Nearby is Rivington Hall, built by William Hesketh Lever, later
Lord Leverhulme, which is not open to the public, but the gardens
are open and popular with local walkers. The whole area is a favourite
recreation ground for the people of Bolton and the surrounding
districts, and is usually rather crowded at holiday times, though
the hugeness of the landscape seems to be able to handle this
without undue damage.
A Gardens Trail Guide is available from the Great House Barn.
Rivington is a very old village, dating
from an early settlement around 620-650 AD - the foundation of
the Parish Church is dated from Saxon times. The name Rivington
means "the town" (or "tun") by the rough hill
(this probably refers to the nearby desolate and windswept Winter
Hill, now the home for various radio masts and transmitting antennae.
The transmitters themselves have now become local landmarks.
The Parish Church, with its Saxon font, is mentioned in a land
deed of 1280 and again in 1476, by which time it was in lands
owned by the Pilkington family. The nearby present vicarage was
not built until 1884 on the site of a an older building and near
to the village stocks which are still in their original position
just over the Vicarage wall.
Rivington Lakes were constructed from 1847-57, and were originally
known as the Lancashire Corporation Waterworks. Rivington Grammar
School was founded in 1566 by Bishop Pilkington - since 1875 it
has been known as Rivington & Blackrod Grammar School.
There is also a Nonconformist Unitarian Chapel in the village,
one of the earliest to be built in Lancashire.
GREAT HOUSE BARN
Information Centre, Rivington Lane, Horwich,
From Junction Exit 6 on the M61 Motorway
follow signs for Horwich (A673). Straight ahead at roundabout,
turn almost immediately right into Lever Park Avenue. After approximately
1 mile you will arrive at Rivington Great House Barn.
Daily from Easter to October. Weekends
only in winter. Parking is available adjacent to the Great Barn.
Sources: See Bibliography
- Books about Manchester
Rivington Pigeon Tower
Rivington Moor and the Pike Tower
Rivington Parish Church
Ancient Masonry - dated AD 1695
Rivington Village Stocks
Rivington Unitarian Chapel