Major Townships & Villages of Cheshire
Alphabetical Listing Continued:
Sandbach is a township in the old Northwich Hundred
and in 1936 the civil parish was extended to include large parts of
Bradwall, Elton and Wheelock. It also includes the hamlets of Boothlane
Head, Brickhouses, Ettiley Heath, Forge Fields, Hindheath, Marsh Green,
all of which became part of Sandbach Urban District.
Sandbach was an Anglo-Saxon settlement by the 7th century AD, and was
part of the Kingdom of Mercia, which was then probably the most powerful
of all the northern Saxon kingdoms. The township claims to own two of
England's finest Christian Saxon memorials - its ancient crosses. These
two surviving engraved monuments illustrate the story of life of Christ
and were savagely defaced by Puritans in the 17th century. However,
extensive restoration in 1816 has brought them back to life and they
are a popular attraction to visitors and serious students alike. They
commemorate the establishment of a Christian Minster at Sandbach and
possibly to the whole of middle England.
In 1579 a Royal Charter was granted by Queen Elizabeth I for a Thursday
Market, which is still in existence and attracts traders and shoppers
from across the whole county, and has long established Sandbach as a
major county market town.
In the early 19th century, Sandbach was an important coaching halt on
the road from London and Birmingham to Liverpool and Manchester. However,
the building of the railway station on the Manchester-Crewe main line
effectively brought coaching to an end.
Contemporary Sandbach benefits from its proximity to the M6 Motorway.
The Trent and Mersey Canal also passes through the district's beautiful
countryside which has opened the area up to pleasure boating in the
summertime. Since the 1974 Local Government reorganisations, Sandbach
Urban District has been part of the new Borough of Congleton.
Tarvin is a small township located about 5½
miles north-east of Chester, and has been celebrated for its cheese
making since before the 17th century. It is located in the old Eddisbury
Hundred and includes the hamlets of Austins Hill, Broombank, part of
Duddon Heath, Old Moss, Oscroft, part of Tarvin Sands, Weetwood and
part of Willington Corner. The town's ancient parish church is St. Andrew.
The area is known for it's supposedly Roman Bridges, which are situated
about 1½ miles from the village centre, though some historians
put them at a later date.
The Romans called the town "Tervyn",
from the Latin "terminus", meaning end. After the Roman withdrew
from Britain in the 5th century AD, the land was divided into large
parishes, each governed by a church leader. After the Norman Invasion
in 1066, William the Conqueror occupied Chester and the surrounding
townships, but little changed in the township as it belonged to the
local bishop and was thereby protected from confiscation. By 1551 the
town was still known as "Tervin" and as "Tervine"
in 1599, but sometime after this it gradually assumed the name Tarvin.
Certainly, by 1657 records show that one "Richard Tarvin of Temperley"
had married Sibell Travis at Bowdon, suggesting that the name change
was complete by that time. The township has two very fine half-timbered
Tudor cottages and many fine Georgian buildings.
Tarporley has a long and ancient history; its earliest
record is in 1292, when the township of
"Torpelei" was granted a Royal Charter. Further, by
1297, it had been recognised as a Borough with its own elected Mayor
and market. Tarporley is one of the larger villages in the heart of
the Cheshire countryside .
Research seems to suggest, however, that there had been earlier settlements
near Tarporley in the nearby iron age hillforts at Eddisbury Hill and
The village lies, providentially, on the old and well-trodden trade
and stagecoach route from London to Chester, as well as being located
on one of the old Roman salt roads of Cheshire, and therefore had always
benefitted from passing trade.
The village itself developed over many centuries along this trade road,
the present-day High Street, and by the 19th century it possessed many
hotels and inns the to cater for passing travellers.
By the end of the 18th century, the digging of the Chester and Ellesmere
Canal (now the Shropshire Union) and the addition of a nearby railway
station at Beeston on the Chester and Crewe Railway served only to increase
the number of passing travellers and the village grew wealthy on the
trade that this through traffic produced.
There are several buildings of note in Tarporley, including the Manor
House which dates from 1586. Nearby is St Helens Church and the 18th
century Swan Hotel which is the home of the celebrated Cheshire Hunt.
A township in Tilston Parish, in the ancient Broxton
Hundred which includes the hamlets of Hob Hill and Lowcross Hill and
lies three miles northwest of Malpas and twelve miles from Chester.
Tilston was a Romano-British settlement in the late 2nd century AD and
was probably known as "Bovivum".
After the Norman Invasion of 1066, Chester and the surrounding townships
offered stiff resistance and were the last of the English towns to submit.
The vanquished and confiscated Saxon lands were given by William I to
his nephew, Hugh Lupus (also known as Hugh the Wolf), who he also created
Earl of Chester. He in turn gave parcels of his new possessions to his
own faithful supporters, and the manor of Tilston was given to a Norman
knight called Eynion - he was thereafter known as Sir Eynion de'Tilston.
By the time of the Domesday Survey of 1086, Tilston appears to have
been the largest and regarded as the most important of the townships
around Chester. At that time it is recorded as being in the Barony of
The ancient church of St. Mary's in the township, despite having been
extensively restored in the late 19th century, largely dates from 1659
but there was a church on the site at least as early as the time of
King Henry III in the mid 13th century.
By the end of the 19th century the Manor of Tilston belonged to Lord
John Tollemache, whose family lived at nearby Peckforton Castle .
A township and parish in the ancient Bucklow Hundred
which includes the hamlet of Moss Brow. In 1933 the parish boundary
was altered in order to follow the course of the Manchester Ship Canal
and was transferred to Trafford Metropolitan Borough in the County of
Greater Manchester in Local Government reorganisation in 1974, thereby
taking it completely out of the County of Cheshire.
Warburton was also an ancient ecclesiastical Cheshire parish. It was
in Bucklow poor law Union (which was called Altrincham Union until 1895).
In 1920 part of it was added to Rixton with Glazebrook civil parish,
Lancashire. In 1933 there was an exchange of areas with Rixton with
Glazebrook civil parish, Lancashire.
Rare artifacts from the early Bronze Age, Iron Age and Roman periods
of occupation as well as Saxon have been excavated in the district,
suggesting settlements had existed here as far back as 2000 BC. Warburton
or "Warburvium" as the Romans probably called it, played an
important part as a bridgehead on the northern banks of the River Mersey,
as Roman troops tied to push forward the invasion of Lancashire in the
1st century AD. Later, it became an affluent settlement with a large
farmstead or villa being built in the area.
During Saxon times it was known as "Wareburghtune",
named after the ancient St Werburgh's Church, rebuilt in the 12th century
with later Tudor and Jacobean additions.
Around 1190, Norbertine White Canons from Normandy were given land in
Warburton where they founded an abbey (the area now known as Abbey Croft).
It was at Warburton that a Toll Bridge was built over the Manchester
Ship Canal, to accompany the original one that crossed the River Mersey
at this point. Warburton retains much of this historic atmosphere, as
well as many of its half-timbered houses and old farm buildings, which
have been carefully preserved among the more recent residential developments
which have taken place.
Warrington traces its history back to the Bronze
Age, when, around 1000 BC, communities are known to have existed at
Grappenhall, Winwick and Croft, when it emerged as a safe crossing point
over the River Mersey.
Romans Warrington was known as Veratinum
which over time became an important centre for the manufacture of metal
products, glass and pottery.
In the 5th Century Saxons had established a settlement nearby. The district
of Thelwall had already been referred to in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle
in 919 AD, and by the time of the Domesday Survey of 1086 there was
recorded an already exiting Saxon church dedicated to St Elphin. After
the Norman Conquest, the Manor of Warrington was given to Paganus de
Vilars, a Norman baron of the Boteler Family, who encouraged the rebuilding
of the old Saxon town.
The town's market was recognised by Royal Charter in 1277. In 1495,
the Earl of Derby built a stone bridge over the Mersey which survived
until the early 19th century.
During the Civil Wars, in 1642, the Earl of Derby made Warrington his
headquarters and in 1643 Parliamentarian forces led by Sir William Brereton
attacked the town but were forced to retreat when the Earl of Derby
set fire to the town centre. However, the town eventually fell and in
1648 Oliver Cromwell stayed in the town. After the Civil War new industries
like sail making, pin-making and copper smelting were established.
Warrington expanded as an industrial centre, thanks to its strategic
location on the Mersey and the building of the Sankey and Bridgewater
In 1847 the town acquired the status of a Municipal Borough and began
extensive renewal of the town centre. In 1899 the town was made a County
Borough, and grew wealthy by virtue of its new railway network and the
building of the Manchester Ship Canal.
In 1968 Warrington was designated a 'New Town', and saw extensive developments
at Risley, Great Sankey, Burtonwood and Appleton. In 1974, Local Government
reorganisation brought many surrounding rural areas into the Borough,
including Stockton Heath, Appleton, Lymm and Culcheth.
Warrington's location as a "crossover town" located as it
is on the intersection of the M6, M56 and M62 motorways has been instrumental
in attracting new industry to the area.
In 1998, the Borough Council was designated a Unitary Authority has
made Warrington totally independent of Cheshire County Council control.
The Borough's present population is around 180,000 people.
West Kirby is a township in West Kirby Parish, part
of the old Norman Wirral Hundred. It was incorporated into Hoylake-cum-West
Kirby Civil Parish in 1894 and was transferred to the newly created
County of Merseyside as a result of Local Government reorganisation
in 1974. It includes the hamlet of Darmonds Green. The township is on
the north-west coast of the Wirral Peninsula, on the east side of the
estuary of River Dee. The west side of the River Dee is North Wales.
West Kirby is located about 12 miles from the City of Liverpool and
about 20 miles from Chester.
The Domesday Survey of 1086 AD shows that at that time the lands belonged
to Robert de Rodelent, to whom it had been granted after the Norman
conquest. Rodelent is known to have made a grant of some of his land
holdings to the Abbey of St. Ebruf in Normandy, who later sold them,
as well as the church and the township, to the Abbey of St. Werburga
The growth of modern West Kirby really began in 1886, when the wonder
of the age - the steam engine - arrived. People began to realise that
they could work across the Mersey in Liverpool during the day but escape
to the cleaner, more peaceful and healthier surroundings of this part
of Wirral to live. Hence, West Kirby became a major dormitory town for
the Greater Merseyside conurbation. In 1871 Hoylake and West Kirby together
had 2,118 residents; thirty years later this figure had increased fivefold
There is a small sandy beach which is probably the most popular windsurfing
location in the North-west of England, and the township also has a Lifeboat
Station. The adjacent Marine Lake is available all year for sailboarding,
dinghy sailing and canoeing. The shore between the Marine Lake and Red
Rocks is a high tide roost for thousands of wading birds and a Mecca
for bird watchers. In the winter months Dunlin and Knot should be seen
in their thousands with Bar Tailed Godwit, Ringed Plover and Grey Plover.
The Marine Lake also hosts Goldeneye, Red-breasted Mergansers and Cormorants.
Wilmslow was a civil parish created in 1894 from
parts of Bollin Fee, Fulshaw and Pownall Fee. In 1936 the township was
extended to include parts of the parishes of Cheadle & Gatley (now
part of Stockport in Greater Manchester), Handforth and Styal. At that
time part of Wilmslow parish was also transferred to Alderley Edge.
Wilmslow included the hamlets of Carrwood, Colshaw, Davenport Green,
Dean Row, Finney Green, Fulshaw Park, Harden Park, Hilltop, Hollinlane,
Hough, Lacey Green, part of Lindow, Morley, Oversley, The Parsonage,
Pownall Green, Shady Grove, Stanneyland and Styal.
Wilmslow is fairly well-to-do residential town in Cheshire, located
about 12 miles of Manchester in the valleys of the River Dean and the
River Bollin. The township was once an important stagecoach stop between
London and Manchester.
Wilmslow is not mentioned in the Domesday Survey, and its place name
is therefore difficult to define. The most likely theory of the place
name is that it was the burial place of the first William de Bolyn,
who was also known as Williams Lowe,
and who changed his name to Wilmslowe.
In medieval times the land was predominantly agricultural with a few
large landowners. The district still has extensive parklands and an
ancient map shows that Fulshaw and Morley were once densely wooded.
Nowadays, Wilmslow is a major dormitory area for Manchester and a much
sought after and desirable area to live in, located as it is at the
very southern edge of the Greater Manchester conurbation and surrounded
on three sides by the rolling Cheshire countryside.
The quiet country township of Wrenbury was a Parish
in the old Nantwich Hundred which included the hamlets of Porters Hill,
Wrenbury Heath and Wrenburywood. It is currently in the Wrenbury Ward
of Crewe and Nantwich Borough Council, within the Cholmondeley Electoral
Division of Cheshire County Council and in the Eddisbury Parliamentary
It was recorded in the Domesday Book in 1086 as "Wareneberie"
and changed its name to "Wrennebury"
in 1230 which probably translates from old English as 'old forest inhabited
In the mid-14th century, during the reign of Edward III, the estate
of Wrenbury was held by John de Wrenbury and passed through the female
line to the Olton family and then to the Starkey family who lived at
In 1643, during the English Civil War, Wrenbury Hall served as accommodation
for the Parliamentarian forces as they prepared for the fateful Battle
of Nantwich in which Royalist troops were thoroughly routed.
The Starkey family and their descendants continued to hold the Hall
and surrounding lands until 1920, when the Hall and about 164 acres
of land were sold to Cheshire County Council.
The village itself has the fine church of St. Margaret's, which dates
from about 1500, though a church has existed on the site since the 12th
century. Wrenbury also boasts a delightful canal wharf at Wrenbury Mill,
on its outskirts - part of the beautiful Llangollen Canal. It is now
a canal hire boat company base and has a distinctive lifting road bridge
across the canal alongside the celebrated Dusty Miller Pub Restaurant.