the Stations of the Cross for St Mary's Church, Mulberry Street, (the
Hidden Gem). Installed in 1995.
restoration and conversion of the Middle Warehouse, Castlefield,
originally built in 1831.
- Peter House, 2-34 Oxford Street, corner of St Peter's Square, 1958
- Langley Buildings, corner of Dale Street & China Lane, 1908.
Grade II Listed.
- See Ove Arup Partnership
- St Luke's Church, Cheetham Hill Road, 1836. Grade II Listed - tower
& Ellerbe Beckett
- Manchester Evening News Arena (MEN), 1995-96 (See
William & Elce, Thomas Brookes
Exchange (now the Triangle),
Cannon Street, 1989-90. Grade II Listed.
- Mynshull's House, 14 Cateaton Street, 1890. Grade II Listed.
Bridge House, Bridge Street, 1958-59.
- St Ann's Church, St Ann's
Square. Attributed to Barker, built 1709-12. Grade I Listed.
- Tudor House, Chapel Walks, 1889. - Former Free Library, Cheetham
Hill Road, 1876.
- Royal Manchester Institution, Mosley Street, 1829-35. Now Manchester
- Art Gallery. Grade I Listed.
- Athenaeum, Princess Street, 1836-39. Grade II Listed Extended by
- Hopkins & Partners in 1999-2002
- part of City Art Gallery.
- Unitarian Chapel, Upper Brook Street, 1836-39. Grade II Listed.
- St Matthew's Church, Castlefield,1822-25. Demolished in 1951.
J. S. & J. W.
- Kendal Milne Department Store, 98-116 Deansgate, 1938. Grade II
- 1920 additions to Northcliffe House, 182 Deansgate.
- Former Lewis's Department Store, corner Piccadilly Gardens &
Market Street, 1929.
- Lewis's Extension, 1922.
- Whitworth Art Gallery, Oxford Road, 1895. Grade II Listed.
- Refectory, Manchester University, Oxford Road, 1960-65.
- Electrical Engineering Building, Manchester University, Oxford Road,
- Students Union, Manchester University, Oxford Road, 1953-56.
- Mobberley Tower, Manchester University, Oxford Road, 1960-65.
- Staff House, Manchester University, Oxford Road, 1960-65.
- Joshua Hoyle Building, Piccadilly, (now Malmaison Hotel), 1904-06.
Grade II Listed.
- Pearl Assurance Building, 28-32 St Ann Street, 1901.
- Telephone Buildings, 26 York Street, with L. Stokes, 1909. Grade
- Winter's Building, St Ann's Square, 1901.
- ABC Television House, Mount Street, 1959-60.
Building, Lower Ormond Street, 1832. Grade II Listed.
- Manto Bar, Canal Street, Gay Village, 1989.
- College of Commerce, Aytoun Street, 1962.
Allen, Rich & Partners
- Royal Northern College of Music, Oxford Road, 1968.
- Former Cheetham Town Hall, 107 Cheetham Hill Rd, 1853-55. Now a
- Prince's Building, Oxford Street, 1903. Redeveloped so that only
- facade remains - (Grade II Listed).
Offices by Leach Rhodes Walker in 1987.
- Manchester House, 86 Princess Street, c.1900. Grade II Listed.
- Bank of Ireland, John Dalton Street, 1977.
- St Augustine, Bolton Road, Pendlebury,
- Stephens Buildings, corner of Market Street & Brown Street,
- Former I. J. & G. Cooper Building, Stephenson Square, 1906.
- Royal Exchange, Cross Street, 1914-22. Grade II Listed.
- Northern Stock Exchange, Norfolk Street, 1907. Grade II Listed.
- 1927 extension to the UMIST building, Sackville Street, 1927-57.
Grade II Listed.
- Former Parkers Hotel, corner of Miller Street & Collyhurst Road,
- Bridge Street Chambers, 66-76 Bridge Street, 1898.
- Kenworthy's Buildings, 83 Bridge Street, 1902.
- Pall Mall Court, King Street, 1969.
- Palatine Bank Offices, corner of Norfolk Street & Brown Street,
1909. Grade II Listed.
- Marks & Spencer Building, Corporation Street, 1997-99.
- British Gas Building, Grand Island Site, 1992.
- Humanities Building, Manchester University, Oxford Road, 1961-67.
- University Theatre, Manchester University, Oxford Road, late 1960s.
- Computer Building, Manchester University, Oxford Road, 1972.
- Information Technology Building, Manchester University, Oxford Road,
- Christie Library, Manchester University, Oxford Road, 1997-98.
- Joule Library, UMIST, Sackville Street, 1987.
- Cathedral Gardens, 2002.
- Original 1960s Contact Theatre Building, Devas Street, Manchester
University,- demolished 1999 for new
building by Short Associates.
- Trinity Bridge, off St Mary's Parsonage, 1994.
- Royal & Sun Alliance Clock Tower, corner of York Street and
Fountain Street, 1996.
- Former National Westminster Bank, 55 King Street, 1966-69.
- John Rylands Library, 144 Deansgate, 1890-99. Grade I Listed.
- 1998 refurbishment of the Cornerhouse Cinema, Oxford Street, originally
- the Kinemacolor Palace in 1910.
- St James's Building, Oxford Street, 1912. Grade II Listed.
- Albert Chambers, 16 Lloyd Street, 1866-68. Grade II Listed.
- Bridgewater Buildings, 18 Lloyd Street, 1873. Grade II Listed.
- 52-54 Faulner Street, Chinatown, 1876. Former warehouse Grade II
- 55 Faulkner Street, 1870. Grade II Listed.
- Harvester House, 37 Peter Street, 1868. Grade II Listed.
- Hall's Buildings, 71-75 Piccadilly, mid-1870s. Grade II Listed.
- 77-83 Piccadilly, 1877. Grade II Listed.
- Pickles Building, 101 Portland Street, 1870. Grade II Listed. Now
the Princess Hotel.
- 101 Princess Street, 1869. Grade II Listed.
- 109 Princess Street, 1863. Grade II Listed.
- Former Bank of England, King Street, 1851. Grade I Listed.
- Barton Buildings & Barton Arcade, 1871. Grade II Listed.
- Iron & glass produced by Macfarlane's
Saracen Foundry in Glasgow.
- St Michael's RC Church, George Leigh Street, Ancoats, 1858.
- Central House, 74 Princess Street, corner of Whitworth Street, 1880.
Grade II Listed.
- Piccadilly Plaza original development, Piccadilly, 1959-65. Redeveloped
- 2000-2002 by Leslie Jones Architects.
- Believed to have built Dale Street Warehouse, Dale Street around
- St Mary's Church, Hulme, 1856-58.
- St Benedict, Ardwick, Bennett Street, 1880.
- St Alban, Strangeways, 1857-64. Demolished in the 1990s.
- Arthur House, Chorlton Street, 1963.
- Renaissance Manchester Hotel, Deansgate. 1972 - conversion from
- Barnett House, Fountain Street, 1959-61.
- Eagle Star House, 54-70 Mosley Street, 1973.
- National Computing Centre, Oxford Road, 1964.
- Social Science & Economics Building, Manchester University,
Oxford Road, 1966-67.
- Roscoe Building, Manchester University, Oxford Road, 1964.
- Renold Building, UMIST, Sackville Street, 1962-68.
- Chandos Building, UMIST, Sackville Street, 1962-68.
- Mathematical & Social Sciences Building, UMIST, Sackville Street,
- Students' Union, UMIST, Sackville Street, 1962-68.
Building, UMIST, Sackville Street, 1962-68.
- Wright Robinson Hall, UMIST, Sackville Street, 1962-68.
- Elizabeth House, St Peter's Square, 1959-60.
- Federal School of Business & Management, Precinct Centre, Oxford
- Reform Synagogue, Jackson's Row, 1952.
- Palace Theatre, Oxford Street, original design by Alfred Darbyshire
- F. Bennett Smith in 1889.
- Rational Chambers, 64 Bridge Street, 1879.
- Enlarged George Stephenson's original Victoria Station in 1909.
- Covered Spectator Stand, Castlefield Outdoor Arena, Castlefield,
- Castlefield Visitors' Centre, Liverpool Road, Castlefield, 1993.
- St Augustine's Church, Lower Ormond Street, 1968.
- Speaker's House, (near Barton Arcade), Deansgate, 1963.
- Manchester & Salford Boys' & Girls' Refuges and Homes-
Society, Chatham Street, 1910.
- 1982-86 GMEX conversion and refurbishment of the old Central Station,
Windmill Street which was designed by Sacré, Johnson &
Johnson in 1880. Grade II Listed.
- Cooper House, Cooper Street, 1972.
Harry S. & Sons - Fairhurst Design Group
- St James's Court, Brown Street, c.1985.
- North West Electricity Board Headquarters, Dickinson Street, 1963.
- Offices, 50 Fountain Street, 1980.
- Offices, 68 Fountain Street, c.1995.
- Lee House, Great Bridgewater Street, 1928-31. Grade II Listed.
- St James's House, St James's Square, John Dalton Street, 1997.
- Ship Canal House, King Street, 1924-26. Grade II Listed.
- Rylands (later Paulden's, and currently Debenham's Department Store)
- Market Street, 1929-32. Grade II Listed.
- Former Williams & Glyn's bank, 46-54 Mosley Street, 1968-72.
Replaced Edward Walter's Schwabe Warehouse of 1845. Now Royal Bank
- Williams Deacon's Bank HQ, 45 Mosley Street, 1965. Now Royal Bank
- Barclays Bank, 47-51 Mosley Street, c.1985.
- Woolwich House, 59-61 Mosley Street, corner of Charlotte Street,
- BBC Building, Oxford Road, c.1976.
- Former Blackwells Bookshop, Oxford Road, 1995.
- Refurbishment of St Mary's Hospital, Oxford Road in 1990.
- University of Manchester Williamson Building, Oxford Road, 1957-66.
- Simon Engineering Laboratories, Manchester University, Oxford Road,
- Arts Faculty, Manchester University, Oxford Road, 1957-58.
- Schuster Laboratories, Manchester University, Oxford Road, 1966.
- Medical School, Stopford Building, Manchester University, Oxford
- Biological Science Incubator, 1998-99.
- 44 Peter Street, 1988-90.
- Asia House, 82 Princess Street, 1900-1910. Grade II Listed.
- Quay House, Quay Street, 1964-65.
- Chemical Engineering Pilot Plant, UMIST, Sackville Street, late
- Civil Engineering, UMIST, Sackville Street, late 1960s.
- Mechanical Engineering, UMIST, Sackville Street, late 1960s.
- Chemistry Building, UMIST, Sackville Street, late 1960s.
- Paper Science, UMIST, Sackville Street, late 1960s.
- Jackson Street Mill conversion, UMIST, Sackville Street, late 1960s.
- Old Bank Chambers, St Ann's Square, corner of Old Bank Street, 1920s.
- The Gardens, St Ann's Square, originally the Royal Insurance Company,
- Arkwright House, St Mary's Parsonage, 1927. Grade II Listed.
- National Buildings, St Mary's Parsonage, 1905-09. Grade II LIsted.
- National Boiler Extension, Century Buildings, St Mary's Parsonage,
- Blackfriars House, corner of St Mary's Parsonage & Blackfriars
- Ralli Quays, Stanley Street, Salford, 1991-93.
- India House, Whitworth Street, 1905. Grade II Listed.
- Lancaster House, Whitworth Street, 1909. Grade II Listed.
- Bridgewater House, Whitworth Street,1912.
- Barclay's Textiles Building, Whitworth Street, 1920s.
- Grange Court, John Dalton Street, 1991.
- Manchester Aquatic Centre, Oxford Road, 1999-2000.
- Bank of England Northern Headquarters, Portland Street, 1971.
- Cornerhouse, Oxford Street, with Mullard Partnership, 1985. Formerly
Shaws carpet Shop and warehouse.
- Warehouse, 56 Faulkner Street, Chinatown, 1868. Grade II LIsted.
- Colwyn Chambers, corner of York Street & Mosley Street, 1898.
Grade II Listed.
- Methodist Mens' Hostel, Hood Street, Ancoats, 1903.
- Granby House, Granby Row, 1911. Grade II Listed.
- Orient House, 65-66 Granby Row, 1914. Grade II Listed.
- St George's Church, Chester Road, Hulme, 1826-28.
- 1 Portland Street, 1974. The Queen's Hotel formerly stood on this
Farmer, Oakley & Sanville
- Steam Packet House, 70-76 Cross Street, c.1910.
- St Patrick RC Church, Livesey Street, 1936.
- 1 Greg's Building, Booth Street, 1845. Grade II Listed.
- Mechanics Institute, 103 Princess Street, 1854. Grade II Listed.
Later became the National Museum of Labour History.
- Heywood's Bank, St Ann Street, 1848. Grade II Listed.
- St James House, Charlotte Street, Chinatown, 1964.
- Probable builder of the original Railway Warehouse in Liverpool
- Royal Infirmary, Oxford Road, by E. T. Hall & John Brooke, 1905-08.
Grade II Listed.
- Youth Hostel, Potato Wharf, Castlefield, 1995.
- Piccadilly Village, Ancoats, 1990-94.
- Edwardian Warehouses/apartments, Granby Village, Granby Row, 1989.
- Castlefield Hotel, Liverpool Road, Castlefield, 1995.
- Hallworth worked as project architect for Trafalgar House on the
conversion to Le Meridien Victoria & Albert Hotel, Water Street,
1991-92, formerly warehouses c.1840.
- Chancery Building, Chancery Lane, 1995-96.
- Holy Name of Jesus RC Church, Oxford Road, 1869-71. Grade I Listed.
- Central Reference Library, St Peter's Square, 1930-34. Grade II
- Town Hall Extension, St Peter's Square, 1934-38. Grade II Listed.
- 1993 Refurbishment of Strangeways
Prison following the prisoner riots of 1990.
- CWS Building, Corporation Street, 1906.
- Holyoake House, Hanover Street, 1911. Grade II Listed.
- Barça Café Bar, Catalan Square, Castlefield, 1996.
- Portico Library, 57 Mosley Street, 1802-06. Grade II Listed.
- Manchester Law Library, Kennedy Street, 1885. Grade II Listed.
- The Albert Bridge, Bridge Street, 1850. Grade II Listed.
Hay, G. S.
- Co-operatiove Insurance Society Building & New Century House,
Miller Street, 1962- in collaboration
with Tait & Partners
- St Thomas Church, Ardwick Green, 1836.
- All Souls, Every Street, Ancoats, 1839-40.
- Oxford Road Station, Oxford Road, 1960. Grade II Listed.
- Piccadilly Rail Station, London Road, 1959-66. Replaced original
London Road Station by Mills & Murgatroyd of 1862.
- Lloyds Bank (now Lloyds TSB), 33-35 Cross Street, 1915. Grade II
- Northern Rock Insurance, corner Cross Street & King Street,
1895. Grade II Listed.
- Eagle Insurance, 68 Cross Street, 1911. Grade II Listed.
- Anglia House, 86 Cross Street, 1904. Grade II Listed.
- Royal London House, 202 Deansgate, 1904. Grade II Listed.
- Onward Buildings, 205-209 Deansgate, 1903-05. Grade II Listed.
- 7-9 Piccadilly, with W. A. Thomas, 1910.
- Sparrow Hardwick & Company Building, 107 Piccadilly, 1898. Grade
- Commercial Union Buildings, 47 Spring Gardens, 1881-82. Grade II
- Parrs Bank, 1-3 York Street, corner of Spring gardens, 1902. Grade
- Dental Hospital, Bridgeford Street, Manchester University, 1908.
- Alliance House, 28-34 Cross Street, 1901. Grade II Listed.
- Lancashire & Yorkshire Bank, 43-45 Spring Gardens, 1890. Grade
- Canada House, Chepstow Street, 1909. Grade II Listed.
- 49 Piccadilly, 1904. Grade II Listed.
- 51-53 Piccadilly, 1904. Grade II Listed.
- Clayton House, 59-61 Piccadilly, 1907.
Hill, G. Noel
- Manchester City Police Headquarters, Southmill Street, 1936-37.
- Enclosed Footbridge over Corporation Street, 1999, with Ove Arup
- CUBE Gallery, Portland Street, 1998.
- St Peter's Church, Blossom Street, 1859-60. Grade II Listed.
- Wholesale Fish Market, Goadsby Street, 1857, altered 1867.
- The Observatory/Cross Street Chapel, 1995-96.
- Lincoln House, 127 Deansgate, 1986.
- 201 Deansgate, 1996-97.
- 81 Fountain Street, c.1995.
- Friends Provident, 82 King Street, 1996.
- 1990-2002 Extension of Sir Charles Barry's Athenaeum, Princess Street,
1836-39. Grade II Listed - part of City Art Gallery.
- Hanover House, 36 Cross Street, 1875. Grade II Listed.
- Grosvenor Picture Palace, corner of Grosvenor Street and Oxford
Road, 1913-15. Several subsequent rebirths including as a billiard
hall and wine bar
- 9a-13 Piccadilly, 1922
- Crown Courts of Justice, Crown Square, 1960-62. Grade II Listed.
- Petersfield House, 29-35 Peter Street, 1965.
- Extension to Thomas Worthington's Minshull Street Crown Courts on
the Aytoun Street side by James Stevenson for the Partnership,1993-96.
- See Simpson Architects.
- Theatre Royal, Peter Street, 1844. Grade II Listed. Now a disco
A. & Sons
- CWS Building, Corporation Street, 1928. Grade II Listed.
- Dantzic Building, 29 Dantzic Street, 1937-42. Grade II Listed.
- Rebuilt the Shakespeare pub, Fountain Street,1923, from a demolished
- Former warehouse, Church Street, 1928. Now called The Coliseum.
- Great Northern Initiative, 1998-2002.
- 1997 refurbishment of 35 King St, former NatWest Bank - now Virgin
- The Circus Hotel/Leisure Complex, Oxford Street/Portland Street,
- Redeveloped Piccadilly Plaza, Piccadilly in 2000-2002. Original
complex designed by Covell, Matthews & Partners,1959-65.
- Interior of Dry 201, Oldham Street, 1989.
- Commercial Union Offices, between Brazennose Street and Tasle Alley,
Kirby, E. &
- Boulton House, Chorlton Street, 1973.