Photos by John Moss
unless otherwise credited
Statues & Public
Monuments in Manchester
Manchester has a rich and diverse array of statues
to the people and events that shaped the city and to a significant
extent forged the modern science, technology, industry and commerce
that heralded the modern age. These are the city fathers and founders
We have tried to make this listing comprehensive, but would happily
welcome suggestions for inclusion, as well as information on any which
have been inadvertently omitted.
Left to Right: The Robert Owen Statue in Balloon Street; Queen
Victoria Monument, Piccadilly Gardens ,
The Oliver Cromwell Statue, Wythenshawe Park; South African War Memorial,
St Ann's Square.
- James Prescott Joule - by Alfred
- John Dalton - by Francis
Legatt Chantrey, 1839.
- John Bright - by William
- Romaine Callender - by
John Warrington Wood, 1880.
- Sir Joseph Heron - by John
- Richard Cobden - by E G
- William Gladstone - by
- Rowland Hill - by Patric Park.
- John Potter - by Patric
- Henry Leifchild -by George
- Oliver Cromwell - by Matthew
- William Fairbairn - by
Edward Geflowski, 1878.
- Daniel McCabe - by John
- Charles Pelham Villiers
- by William Theed.
- Albert Memorial Monument - by
Thomas Worthington, 1861-67.
- Figure of Prince Albert (Albert
memorial) - by Matthew Noble.
- Bishop James Fraser - by
Thomas Woolner, 1888.
- Oliver Heywood - by Albert
- William Gladstone - by
Mario Raggi, 1901.
- John Bright - by Albert
- Jubilee Fountain - Albert
Square, by John Cassidy, 1897.
- Humphrey Chetham - by William
- Charles Lawson - by John Bacon,
- Bishop James Fraser - sculptor
- Hugh Birley - sculptor
- Thomas Fleming - by Edward Hodges
- Elizabeth Trafford - by George
- James Moorhouse - outside wall
of Cathedral, date and sculptor unknown.
- "Adrift" - Portland
Street, by John Cassidy.
- Queen Victoria Monument - by
Edward Onslow Ford, 1901.
- Robert Peel - by William
Calder Marshall, 1853.
- Duke of Wellington Monument
- by Matthew Noble, 1856.
- James Watt - by William Theed,
- John Dalton - by William
- Lincoln Square, Brazenose Street, by George Grey Barnard, 1919.
Formerly located in the gardens at Platt Hall in Rusholme.
- Bridge Street, walkway by River Irwell, by Matthew Noble, 1858.
Peace" - Bridge Street, Manchester, by Michael Lyons,
- Rylands Library, Deansgate, by John Cassidy.
- Rylands Library, Deansgate, by John Cassidy.
- Outside Manchester Evening News, Deansgate, by Keith
- niche over entrance, former Theatre Royal, Peter's Street, sculptor
Korean War Memorial
- inside doorway of Britannia Hotel, Portland Street, by unknown
- inside doorway, niche, Britannia Hotel, Portland Street, by
Charles Sargeant Jagger, 1922.
St Peter's Cross
- St Peter's Square next to Cenotaph, by Temple Moore, 1908.
for Peace & Freedom" - outside Town Hall Extension,
St Peter's Square, by Phillip Jackson, 1988.
of Peace" - Peace Garden, corner of Mosley Street
and Princess Street, by Barbara Pearson, 1986.
St Peter's Square, by Sir Edwin Lutyens, 1922-24.
- St Ann's Square, next to St Ann's Church, by Marshall Wood,
South African War Memorial
- St Ann's Square, by William Hamo Thorneycroft, 1907-08.
"The Reading Girl"
- Manchester Central Library, staircase to Shakespeare
Hall, by Giovanni Ciniselli, date unknown, unveiled in 1938 at
Sir John Potter
- Local Studies Unit, Manchester Central Library, St Peter's Square,
by Patric Park, 1854.
Charles W Sutton
- Manchester Central Library, Social Science Library, first floor,
by John Cassidy, date unknown.
- under arch opposite Barnes Wallis Building, Altrincham
Street, by Thompson W Dagnall, 1990.
"Monument to Vimto"
- adjacent to UMIST Building, Altrincham Street, by
Kerry Morrison, 1992.
The Technology Arch
- outside entrance to UMIST Building, Altrincham Street,
by Axel Wolkenhauer, 1989.
- outside UMIST, Altrincham Street, by Marshall Hall,
- in front of Ferranti Building, UMIST, Granby Row,
by Christopher Rose-Innes, 1987.
- Granby Row, by Christopher Rose-Innes, 1991.
- Conference Centre, UMIST, Thompson W Dagnall, 1994.
"A Bigger Splash"
- UMIST, by Liam Curtin, 1997.
- Grosvenor Place Hall of Residence, Manchester University,
by Christopher Rose-Innes, date unknown.
- outside Co-op Bank Building, corner of Balloon Street &
Corporation Street, by Gilbert Bayes, 1994.
- Arndale Centre, Market Street, by Franta Belsky, 1977.
Prince" - St Mary's Gate, by Jane Ackroyd, 1985.
- outside former YMCA Building, Peter Street, by unknown sculptor,
- Liverpool Road, Castlefield, next to Roman Fort, by Ted Roocroft,
- outside Bridgewater Hall, Lower Mosley Street, by
Kan Yasuda. 1996.
Sir John Barbirolli
- Barbirolli Square, Lower Mosley Street, by Byron Howard,
- Bridgewater Hall, Lower Mosley Street, by Deryck Healey,
Yorkshire Railway War Memorial -
Victoria Station, 1922, artist unknown.
Charles Rolls &
Henry Royce - Midland Hotel, Peter Street, by Lynda
- Castlefield, beside Bridgewater Canal, by Locky Morris,
Post Office Peace
Memorial - Oldham Road, by J Ashton Floyd, 1929.
- outside Deansgate Station, Whitworth Street, by George
- corner of John Street and Hilton Street, Northern
Quarter, by George Wylie, 1999.
Horn" - junction of Tib Street and Church Street,
by David Kemp, 1999.
- Thoeology, Science & Art" - lobby of John
Rylands Library, corner of Spinningfields and Deansgate, by John
Sir Thomas More
- Crown Courts, by Thomas Woolner, date unknown.
- Queens Park, Harpurhey,
by John Cassidy, 1898.
- inside Royal Northern College of Music, Oxford Road,
by Ludwika Nitschowa, 1973.
- outside Manchester Metropolitan University, Chester Street,
by William Theed, 1854-55.
- niche above entrance to Whitworth Building, Manchester University,
Oxford Road, by Harry Bates, 1886.
- Heaton Park, by John Longden, 1961. Stolen in 1968
- whereabouts unknown.
King Edward VII
- Whitworth Park, alongside Whitworth Art Gallery, Oxford Road,
by John Cassidy, 1913.
- Wythenshawe Park, facing the Hall, by Matthew Noble, 1875 -
formerly located opposite Manchester Cathedral.
Little Children" - located at Whitworth Park, corner
of Moss Lane East and Oxford Road, by George Tinworth, 1895.
John Ashton Nicholls
Memorial - Ellen Wilkinson High School, Hyde Road, by
J & H Patteson, 1860.
Two Children" - located inside grounds of Ducie
High School, Lloyd Street, Whitworth Park, by Kevin Johnson, 1998.
- Telfer Road, Rusholme, rear entrance to Manchester Grammar School,
by William Macmillan, 1931.
Memorial - St Joseph's Cemetery, Lightbowne Road, Moston,
by J Geraghty, 1898.
of Man" - Manchester Airport Terminal 1 Departure
Lounge, by Elizabeth Frink, 1964.
Memorial - glass wall mural in Ringway Prayer Room,
Manchester Airport Terminal 1, by Margaret Traherne, 1963.
- Manchester Velodrome, Eastlands, by James Butler, 1994.
- outside Whitworth Art Gallery, Oxford Road, by Michael Lyons,
to Wory About" - Collyhurst Road, by Jonathan Woolfenden,
1994. (Please note that 'Wory' is not a typographical error
- it is the correct spelling!!).
"The B of
the Bang" - SportCity, Eastlands, by Tom Heatherwick,
2005. Dismantled in August 2009 owing to dangerous pieces falling
off the sculpture.
Henry Hunt Obelisk
- located corner of Round Chapel, Every Street, Ancoats, 1842,
- Ardwick, 1871, sculptor unknown.
Estates" - Clopton Walk, Hulme, 1970, unknown sculptor.
... End of Topic].